Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which OptionVue to purchase

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by Tps, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Tps

Tps Guest

Hi Guys - I currently use ONE, but want to switch to OptionVue. My question is, given the myriad packages offered by OV, which one is comparable to ONE (i trade on and use TOS as my data feed)? What is the difference between the "essential" and the "professional" software. Thanks in advance.

TPS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  2. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

Essentials is what you want for basic income trades like Road Trip, M3, Rhino, etc.

3. Tps

Tps Guest

Thanks, and a broker feed like TOS seamlessly feeds in to provide real-time pricing?

4. DGH

DGH Administrator

Not always seamlessly, but OV does allow direct import of your TOS trades once you set up the columns in the "default" format. I only use OV at the end of the day, but many traders utilize direct real time feeds into OV from their platforms. I use Rahul's PnL spreadsheet for real time calculations of my P/L for each cycle.

5. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I've found that having QuoteVue is MUCH faster than using broker quotes (I use IB).

6. maxtodorov

maxtodorov Active Member

I am also thinking of switching to OV. Tom, do we have any discount/first month free codes from Capital Discussions by any chance?

7. maxtodorov

maxtodorov Active Member

8. Jerry

Jerry Member

I am a new subscriber here and also to both platforms.
    Can you tell me why you are changing?
    Is there general consensus that OptionVue is better than ONE? Or is there a no consensus?

9. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

10. maxtodorov

maxtodorov Active Member

This has been a long discussion... But in short: As a new options trader you will NOT go wrong with OptionNet. Its a good user friendly program. However, I am getting to the stage where I am committing six figure sums to option trades, so every advantage is important. So why am I changing to OptionVue?
    1. While the software is much more complex interface wise, it has many more "tweaks" that are possible. I would say the difference is OptionNet is Prosumer, OptionVue is for professional. OptionVue may have TOO many options and too complex if you are just getting into options and do not know if you plan to stick with it. On the other hand, why waste time learning one software, if you will need to relearn (like me).
    2. The modeling of T+0 Line. Once you start understanding how options behave, you may want your model to behave a certain way. For example, if you decide to trade M3 type trades, everything comes down to managing your greeks/T+0 line. The way T+0 line is modeled is different between OptionNet, OptionVue and TOS. There are documented cases, that T+0 line (and greeks) show different for same position in 3 platforms. It seems the OptionVue model is more accurate predicting T+0 line for M3 and BWB type trades. However, even OptionVue is not perfect.
    Check out this round table. For example in strong up move, the T+0 originally predicted by OptionVue ends up being a bit wrong. It would be worse in TOS/ONE. Reference:

Jerry and Rtb like this.
  11. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

ONE or OptionVue, which model prediction is correct? None. They are models and by definition are wrong. And it depends on what you are trading and what you are comfortable with. Do not be fooled by anyone into believing that one software is better. For my trades, mainly RTTs & ATM BWB's, I have seen many instances where ONE prediction was way superior to OptionVue (eg Brexit) and also cases were OptionVue was more superior. What is more important is making money, using a tool that enhances your objective and you are comfortable with.

12. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

All of John Locke's trades were designed and back tested with Optionvue. If you want to trade an M3, for example, using his rules and guidelines then having Optionvue is really essential. ONE and TOS will generate different Greeks and you will find the trade is either over or under adjusted as the market moves. For other trades such as a Road Trip, any of the programs will be fine as long as you become familiar with the results it produces.

13. Boomer34

Boomer34 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I am about to go with OV.

14. Jerry

Jerry Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I checked out the very fine round table. Lots of good info all around. I appreciate it very much.