Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some of your favorite Technical Analysis tools and techniques?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by tom, Nov 8, 2015.

1. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Bruno likes this.
  2. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of: http://adamhgrimes.com/blog/
    He has a very empirical approach to market analysis and offers a fantastic free course on the web site.

3. David Stewart

David Stewart Well-Known Member

How about the ultimate in simplicity: The 200 day moving average. When an index or stock drops below it volatility increases and positive theta negative gamma trades will suffer.
    There is a paper by Meb Faber on SSRN that details more if people are interested. I think it is the most downloaded paper ever on that site.

Al G. likes this.
  4. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone here utilizes market profile?

5. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

I do follow FuturesTrader71 (highly recommended) and shadowtrader on a daily basis. I also have volume profile up on my TOS charts to see where some of these levels, zones are. TOS has monkeybars which I don't like at all, having a real market profile platform is costly so I am sort of in between.
    Having said that I can not say that my options trading is statistically better as a result. (yes probably I avoided some unnecessary adjustments at times but also made some reading the profile incorrectly)

Boomer34 and Trader G like this.
  6. Jack Lane

Jack Lane Member

Anybody use Neuroshell Trader? It is probably one of the most comprehensive/versatile TA tools I have used over the years. Their website is www.neuroshell.com

7. David Stewart

David Stewart Well-Known Member

8. Boomer34

Boomer34 Well-Known Member

I too am coming from a market profile type background. I have had a change in my job/career, to where I am not able to fully utilize day-trading hours, so I am excited about learning more from this options community. I am fond of Market Profile, and will continue to monitor it...but very much looking forward to diving into the world of option greeks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  9. mikeroberts

mikeroberts New Member

Thanks for the list. I use mt4 but had never heard of or tried three of the techniques above!! Interesting reading to figure out what approach they take.

One thing that I use a lot is pivot points. There is some difference in how they are calculated but the difference in calculated value is off by only around 5% (at least for the various approaches that I have seen). Would much like to hear about other people's experiences with pivot points.

Murphy Tan likes this.
  10. Trader G

I like to use Person Pivots because they bias which support and resistance levels are in play based on the market. I think the power of them with an index like RUT is that they show expected boundaries based on what the market is doing (especially the pivot). The two things that i always keep in mind with pivots are: they are areas not lines, always wait for a shift in momentum/price before assuming that a support or resistance will hold (never predict that a trend is going to end just because it is up against a pivot s/r). I like to look at the Opex pivot and the weekly pivot.

11. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

Looks like the Ross hooks link is not working anymore
    http://www.tradingeducators.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67
    It says the page is not redirecting properly

Since I am trading options I can't say I have used any indicator consistently or reliably I look mostly at the price chart just to get an idea of which way the price is moving and how fast than I look mostly at the risk graph which tells me where I am as far as the p/l is concerned

12. vega4mike

vega4mike Well-Known Member

I've started to look into Mark Fisher ACD methodology, explained in the book the logical trader. For those of you with TOS, I believe they have at as part of the thinkscripts.

13. Trader G

Elitetrader has a forum where they discuss his methodology and I think keep it decently current. I own the book and although I was never able to transfer it over to my options trading, it taught me the value of thinking of the market as ranges (thus my use of pivots). Especially indices, the key of course is waiting for momentum to actually change and not just assume an area (no matter how you come up with that area) will hold because there is a line there. The caveat of course is that if I was good at it, I wouldn't need to be trading complex delta neutral trades. But I have learned that with the trades discussed here, you don't have to be very good at direction. As long as you can learn not to get married to your opinion (easier said than done)

edit: here is the link
    http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index.php?threads/the-acd-method.170318/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  14. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

One of my favorite mentors for technical analysis is Barry Burns.
    http://www.topdogtrading.com/
    I also use bits and pieces from various other gurus, but the above is probably the most "complete" system I've come across.

I also like Fib analysis from the FibQueen:
    http://www.fibonacciqueen.com/

Boomer34 likes this.
  15. C_chot

C_chot New Member

I'm a finance student who just start learning about trading a month ago.
    I mostly use Elliotte wave, Fibonacci, and RSI (all the basic one).

I found this website is really helpful and they also offer free trading report :
    http://tripstrading.com/

16. Davidrete

Davidrete Guest

There are so many technical analysis tools out there and it is very easy to get overwhelmed. At least some of the tools are complex in their underlying math, but easy to use. When using technical analysis to control buying and selling bereft from fundamental analysis try to keep the time scale smaller. Holding on too long can open you up to something unexpected.
    Tools:
    • Simple Moving Average
    • MACD
    • Relative Strength Index
    • Parabolic SAR
    • Your Own Lines and Experience