Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using BackTrader Offline with Archive Data

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by AKJ, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

John Locke mentioned earlier that SPX archive was pulled from the site as it only had data for the 25 point strikes....OV is supposedly working on fixing it.

2. kgbist

kgbist New Member

Does anyone still have those zip files? The links no longer work.
    Thank you

3. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I can ask OptionVue for updated files.

4. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I just got a reply from Ken at OptionVue:
    --------------------------------------------
    The data format has changed for the BackTrader data files.

We removed the Archive files from the website because they will no longer work in BackTrader.

We currently have no plans to rebuild these files because of the work involved in maintaining them and because the primary reason we created them is no longer needed, which was to increase BackTrader speeds when connected to NetVue. BackTrader speeds have been dramatically improved with recent changes in the program and the BackTrader servers.

My suggestion for anyone wanting to use BackTrader data offline is to run Collect BackTrader data overnight for 1 year at a time. It takes about 7 hours for 1 year of data with half hour intervals to download. Then rename the Archive file to the specific asset and year such as SPX 2014 for example. Repeat the process for the next year etc.

Best Regards,

Ken Dole
    Optionvue Systems Inc.

Lifeson likes this.
  5. kgbist

kgbist New Member

thanks Tom,
    Was wondering if someone was sharing there own downloaded files...
    no big deal I will have to run the computer overnight.