Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using BackTrader Offline with Archive Data

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by AKJ, Jan 26, 2016.

1. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

Is this possible? I'm trying to test it out now with no success. Would be great for doing some backtests on flights, etc.

Thanks,

2. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I was told that OptionVue checks with it's servers to make sure you're authorized to use it pretty frequently. This is likely to prevent one login being used on multiple computers at the same time. I suspect OV has to be connected to the internet to work.

3. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

According to the 7.84 release notes it is possible to use backtrader offline. I have not yet had the chance to try it out, but Jens on Locke forum mentioned it works but he found it to be slow.

4. Jay Hattler

Jay Hattler Well-Known Member

I am running 7.84 and am not able to use backtrader in an offline mode. I just turned off my wifi on my laptop and opened up OV. I get error messages that OV cannot connect with Netvue. I proceed to open up Backtrader and the same message appears repeatedly. No prices at all appear in the Matrix and advancing the date in Backtrader brings the same error message and the continued complete lack of pricing. I have all the RUT and SPX historical data installed on my laptop and I know that these are working as my load times in Backtrader are faster when online after I downloaded the datasets. But the whole thing clearly does not work when the laptop is off line, even though the data is all present locally.

5. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

Same experience here Jay. Thanks,

6. Gabor Maly

It works for me fine. Make sure you select "Operate the Program offline" from the quotes reception before attempting to use it offline. You need to have the local data stored on your hard drive if you do not it will say the local data is missing for the day.

7. Jens

Jens Member

Please do not forget to tell OV that you operate offline. So please setup "Quotes reception" properly.

8. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

Is this a new feature with 7.84? I haven't upgraded yet.

I did go to Quotes Reception and selected 'Work Offline', and it was not working.

9. Gabor Maly

10. Challenger

Challenger Member

OptionVue also offers a way to download all historical data for SPX, RUT, SPY and ES. This means you can have years of back trader data on your hard drive.
    The web page is currently down as they are working on fixing some archive files that had missing data.

Here is the link:
    http://www.optionvue.info/archive/

I was told the page would be back up soon.

11. Jay Hattler

@Jens. Thank you. I did not have the extra box checked. I did do this and now it is working in a completely offline fashion. Great!

12. Jay Hattler

I am using BackTrader in offline mode now. The data comes up quickly, but the correct months are not being shown. Here is a screenshot where I have gone back to July 2014, but the months being shown are the current months (Feb 2016, etc.), which are 500 days in the future. I can find no way to fix this.

Any ideas?
    Jay 2016-01-29_12-04-18.png

13. Rick

Rick Active Member

Jay - perhaps verify that the desired data is in your \Archive file. Is OV not able to find the data and therefore uses what it can find archived?

14. Jay Hattler

I tried to re-download the historical data from the OV web site, but the web page says the download files have been temporarily removed. So I will wait till they return and then try it again. Thank you, Rick.

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

this still works... http://www.optionvue.info/archive/

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

The link http://www.optionvue.info/archive/ is only for SPX, RUT. If you want to download historical for any other symbols, you can use the "Collect Backtrader Data" function. It's much slower though. You probably have to leave your PC over night.

upload_2016-2-1_4-55-52.png

17. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

If you want to download 30 min interval data for a 1 year date range, then you can expect OV to take 7 to 8 hours to download this content.
    (this is based on feedback I obtained from OptionVue)

18. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

Collecting Backtrader Data is slow. I tried last weekend.

I would recommend the archive link. It took me 20 minutes to get 6 years of RUT added.
    http://www.optionvue.info/archive/

GreenZone likes this.
  19. vmerugu55

vmerugu55 New Member

All,
    I have downloaded the optionvue data from the above link, but I still see that it is getting the data from server it seems i.e. very slow for spx. Do I need to do any set up that read the data from local drive?
    thanks
    Veeresham

20. vmerugu55

vmerugu55 New Member

Sorry, I was downloaded for SPY.. Don't see for SPX on the above link. That could be reason it seems.

thanks
    Veeresham