1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading with New Adminstration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I thought I would start a post to gather what people's thoughts are on trading in 2017 with a new adminstration. The new adminstration promise to revoke NAFTA, inpose heafty import tariffs etc. These things will affect the economy and thus our trading in 2017. Hopefully this will be a none policital discussion.
  2. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

What is said during campaigns and what actually happens are often far removed.
  3. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

Often what is said will move the markets. We'll have to see.
  4. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

The Who said it best:
    "Meet the new boss
    Same as the old boss"

Nothing's changed with trading. Only take high quality trades, trade defensively, stay hedged.
  5. mallums

mallums Member

Yea, and BTO said, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet". :oops:
    Ice101781 likes this.
  6. Paul Demers

Paul Demers Well-Known Member

I did not hear or read anyone that predicted the markets would rally if the republicans won the presidency. I have learned to trade what is in front of me not what I think is going to happen. My returns have improved dramatically. I will trading the same way in 2017.
    Kevin Lee, Ice101781 and Jack like this.
  7. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

I agree with Paul, I don't think anyone knows where this market is going. The lack of participation by the NDX and the big players like Apple, amazon, netflix, etc is concerning.
    Ice101781 likes this.
  8. Paul Demers

Remember the NDX is weighted. I watch a very large basket of stocks unweighted and for the last two days there has been large volumes and showing that around 70% of of it being up volume. So I am in a wait and see mode.
  9. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

Folks, you heard it here. Paul guarantees a 70% move up! Load up on calls now:)

Seriously though, I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen with this upcoming administration. I think it was Jim that mentioned on the Monday Muse that having a single party in all three branches is usually detrimental so we will see.
    Paul Demers likes this.
  10. Paul Demers

Past performance is not indicative of future results. :)
  11. Hi, i am wanting to start investing in stocks and i think it's a good time because share prices are lower. Can any one suggest me from which company i should start from?
  12. jim

jim Administrator Staff Member

Wow, is that a loaded question. There are pages and pages of "it depends" before anyone can answer that question. Mostly it depends on your situation, years until you need the money, your current investment, your monthly fiscal excess (i.e., how much can you save every month),... you get the picture.

Therefore, let me tell you, what I told my 27-year-old son and his 26-year-old fiancé, who are both Doctors (of Physical Therapy):
    • Pay off your higher interest debt first (student loans in their case)
    • Only when you have only low-interest rate (under 3 to 4%) debt remaining should you consider investing
    • Every month you should take 50% of your monthly money earmarked for investing and buy a low cost, commission free, S&P 500 mutual fund (or ETF). The other 50% leave in cash.
    • When you see the Stock Market on the 6 O'Clock news because it sold off so much AND your friend and relatives are in despair about how much money they have lost, start investing your cash in equal amounts over the next four to six months.

This is a "dollar cost averaging plan" with my twist on it... and this is a plan so simple, that enough two young Doctors could do it! :);):(
    nik21cockatoo and Jack like this.
  13. jim

Thankyou for your suggestion.
  14. TSX Trading Hours
    Regular trading hours for the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) are Monday to Friday with an opening time of 9:30 a.m. and a closing time of 4:00 p.m. Each day it is open, It is important to also note that some U.S. holidays may affect trading on the TSX for equities traded in U.S. dollars.
    Note that when a holiday falls on the weekend Saturday or Sunday, the stock markets will be closed the next calendar Monday in lieu of the weekend holiday.
    Here you will find the Toronto stock exchange holidays calendar.