Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOS PM Margin?

Discussion in 'Online Brokers' started by Trader G, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with the math TOS is using? I will keep it simple and talk in single lot fly terms. I have a 50 wing iron fly in SPX. The credit was 41.10 so that means no matter what I can't lose more than $890 but TOS is saying that if we move 2sd down the margin would bump to $4400? I emailed them and was given the standard 10%/12% margining and call their margin dept tomorrow but I am just curious before I waste all the time tomorrow I am not missing something simple.
    upload_2016-7-7_17-27-1.jpeg

2. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

Well in talking with the margin dept. their solution is that "it's broken". I have never seen it this far off before but apparently they know it is an issue (hit or miss apparently).

3. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

That might make sense. My simple method of looking at this is to look at it as a strangle.
    If the market drops to 1923, I'd look at the difference between the 2075 (18.0) and 1925 (4.0) puts. Movement would be result in a 14.0 point loss ($1,400). The 2025 put might give you some protection. As for the calls, it will only be the credit you received. The issue is when there is a 2 SD move, the short puts will be pumped up 2,3, and I have seen 7x what you sold it for. It is not only the increase in volatility that affects it but also a large demand for puts.

4. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

That makes no sense
    Sure the iv may move around but it should not go below the expiration price
    That's like saying that the T+0 line can go below the wing of the butterfly which I don't see that as a possibility That may happen in a paper trade account but not in a live account
    There was one time I placed a 5 point wide credit spread in the paper trade account and got filled at 5.10
    Basically a free trade so I an sure they are not going to give you free trades in a live account

The total margin is the 50 point spread for the wings so for 1 contract it should be no more than $5000 That is the max loss on either side. But because you got 41.10 credit you can only loose $890 max on either side no matter how many sd it moves up or down

5. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

It is broken. Do you have another, RegT account?

Hey, Teddy, this is the same thing :)

6. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

I suspect that there is more than this butterfly in your portfolio which might be causing this.