Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOS - /ES futures options issue with export-import on Analyze tab

Discussion in 'Online Brokers' started by Charles, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Charles

Charles Member

I am aware that this is a know issue with the community but I wanted to ask if anyone has an effective work around until TOS fixes the problem. For those not aware - the issue is when you are on the analyze tab and you have recored several simulated trades to keep track of your position over time. When you use the "export current (or all) positions" function to save those trades off to a txt file and then you later use the "import trades" function to bring them back in for further analysis the expiration period sometimes changes from, for instance, EOM to Wk3. As far as I know, this only is an issue with /ES futures trades and only when you are analyzing the EOM expiration cycle - when you export and import a Wk3 cycle everything works fine.
    I spoke with TOS and they replied: "Our developers are working on this and I have emailed my teams to make everyone aware of this as well. We do not have a current estimation for when this will be resolved but we do appreciate your patience and business with us".
    Appreciate any help...

2. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

Can you give an example of one that changed ?
    Isn't the wk3 the normal monthly ?

3. Charles

Charles Member

I tried to past in some images but could not paste. Not sure why.
    An example would be if you have several simulated trades in the cycle "/EWF7", which is the 31Jan (EOM) expiration. You then export those trades and when you import them back they come back in as "/EW3F7", which is the normal monthly cycle (Wk3). Another frustration is that if you open the txt file that you exported it shows the correct cycle (/EWF7), but then the TOS program changes the txt file as it is imported back in. As I mentioned, I have not had any problems with any of the weekly cycles. Problem that I have seen is with the EOM cycle. Thanks

4. status1

I just tried it and it worked for me
    BUY +1 BUTTERFLY /ESH7 1/50 JAN 17 (EOM) /EWF7 2305/2265/2215 PUT @9.95 LMT BID FIXED
    It came back the same way that it went out /EWF7
    The only glitch I had was when I was trying to save the exported file it did not like the slash in the file name so I deleted that
    Is this happen all the time or just randomly ?

5. Charles

Charles Member

Strange...mine also worked (this time) when I tried your same butterfly, BUT when I just tried a Feb EOM:
    BUY +1 BUTTERFLY /ESH7 1/50 FEB 17 (EOM) /EWG7 2300/2260/2200 PUT @6.50 LMT
    and then export and import, it comes back as: Wk3 /EW3G7
    Obviously, this happens randomly.

6. Andrew C

Andrew C Well-Known Member

For some reason this issue rings a bell. Does it have to do with the "OPERA" code not being used by TOS?

7. status1

Yes I see what you mean
    I saw it with the feb EOM
    Even when it's in the analyze tab and I try to change the expiration it does not want to change I have to click on other expiration to eventually get back to the same expiration
    It definitely has some kind of glitch

8. Charles

Charles Member

I'm not familiar with the OPERA code. I think we need to keep bugging TOS on this.

9. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

10. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

I reported this to TOS about a month ago. They sais they had reproduced the problem and would fix it. It is so bad that I might not be able to continue doing RT /ES trades at TOS. Several times I have done a reverse Harvey for example, and it was done in the wrong series and I had to back it out. Cost me about $200 so far...

11. Charles

Charles Member

Agree Tim. I also have OV but prefer TOS for several reasons, including being able to line up possible future trades along with your current position and then save those. It is interesting that I am able to export/import my 31Jan EOM position but the 28Feb EOM does not export/import correctly. I'm trying to figure out what I did differently to Jan to cause it to work. Let's keep bugging TOS.

12. Bryan Doyle

Bryan Doyle Well-Known Member

I also reported to tos in December. They confirmed they recreated the issue and it is on the list for the developers to fix. I have tried to check on the status a few time and can never get a definite answer if this will be fixed in the next tos release. This is a very frustrating bug.

13. Ice101781

Ice101781 Guest

I've dealt with this bug as well, and as far as I know, it still hasn't been fixed.

14. status1

I found a similar but different issue on the Analyze tab
    Not sure if anyone came across this one or not

I noticed this with SPX but I imagine it can happen with other underlying
    The issue is with the mix up of the monthly expiration with the wk3 or more specifically the AM and the PM expiration
    On the trade tab you have both but on the Analyze tab on the simulated trades there is only one option listed in the drop down list So when I start out with the normal monthly AM settled expiration I tend to adjust the trade in the Analyze tab and sometime I try some other expiration before I settle on one of then so when I go back to the same monthly expiration even though there is only one choice on the drop down list sometimes it picks up the PM settled expiration instead of the AM settled one that I started with

I told TOS about it and they said that they are aware of the problem and they are working on it
    I have not tried the export import but I imagine it can happen that way too

You can tell from the risk graph because the expiation graph turns rounded like it was a diagonal trade
    The only way to fix it is to start on the trade tab and recreate the trade and than don't make any other changes to it
    There are just too many weeklies that coincide with the monthlies for TOS to keep them separate

15. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

TOS's incorporation of the SPXPM series has "opportunities for improvement". (Trying to use positive terminology! ;-) )

16. Chaitanya

Chaitanya Active Member

Yes; i have also reported to tos about 6months ago or so. Still exists and no solution other than managing position elsewhere.