Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface Pro 3 Users?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trader G, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone is using the TOS and Optionvue software on a Surface Pro 3? I am looking for a better option for when I am on the road.

2. vito

vito Member

Hi Trader G. I too considered the Surface Pro 3 so that I can use/monitor TOS while in work instead of using the web based version. With that said, I opted for a HP ultrabook with a 13.3 inch screen. It is a touch screen as well as having a key board (mouse). An HDMI port comes with it too.

3. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

I too am considering an Ultrabook for occasional "portable trading" but I am waiting till they come loaded with Win 10, as I am not a fan of Win 8.

I currently use an HP laptop when I want to get away from my desk, but looking for something lighter that will run IB and OVue.

4. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I will be interested to see Win 10 too, might be a better option for a Surface Pro then.

5. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

I've been playing around with the Win 10 preview and under the hood, it is very much like Win 8.1 with a different start menu. The upgrade from Win 7, 8 or 8.1 will be free so go ahead and get a system you like now.

6. vito

vito Member

Hi Trader G et al. I use an Ipad mini in work and it is small enough to conceal and keep a watchful eye on trades/adjust working orders on the fly such as with a bearish butterfly etc.

7. Amin Abdul-Karim

Amin Abdul-Karim New Member

I use a Surface Pro ( v1) and am very happy with the performance running at least 2 instances of TOS plus ONE and one mail program. I just got the Surface Pro 3 so I cannot comment yet from personal experience but I am pretty sure that the experience is likely to be fantastic.

Trader G likes this.
  8. Tim R

Tim R Active Member

Hi Amin - Can you give an update on how the Pro 3 has been?
    Thanks

9. Martell

Martell Member

i use a Surface Pro 2 at home will a wide screen monitor and I have a 3 monitor set up with my Surface pro 3 at my fiancé' house ...no issues with either.

get as much memory as you can ...tos is a hog for ito_O

10. vito

vito Member

Hi Martell. Nice going! I am assuming you are using the one USB port that comes with the surface pro 3 with an adapter (i.e. the J5create) for the tri set up. Are you using the desktop version of TOS on the surface pro 3? If the USB port is in use than I am also assuming you are using the "finger" mouse to select/analyze trades rather than an actual mouse. If so is it comfortable? Thank you.

11. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

I have a variety of desktop and laptop computers that serve me well. However, I am wanting something light and portable that still has enough
    horsepower and screen size to allow me to monitor the trades when I am not at my trading desk.

I am considering both the Surface Pro 3 and the Dell XPS 13. Both look promising...sounds like many people on here are happy with the Surface Pro...any comments on the Dell XPS ?

I am holding out till I can get something with a solid state hard drive. These two products are currently the only ones I see that are serious contenders. Any comments ???
    thanks.

12. Rahul Sarin

Rahul Sarin Active Member

I am using a Surface Pro 3 with TOS and ONE.... it is great...however the fan constantly kicks in with TOS running. The battery drain is also significant during trading hours. If you have it plugged in the you should be okay...if you don't mind hearing the fan kick in.

Once my SP3 shut down as it got too hot...but after the Microsoft firmware update that problem seems to have gone away.

My SP3 is i5 / 256gb / 8gb Ram.

Otherwise its a great device....good for travelling.

13. Martell

Martell Member

The Surface is a full-fledged laptop with a fully functional OS(unlike the I-pad) it only looks like an Ipad so you can use it just like a laptop desk top.
    I use a blue-tooth wireless mouse..... bluetooth is built-in the surface
    I never use the web version of TOS.
    this setup does what its designed to do I was just amazed at how much I could do with the Surface 3 pro I hv the i7 version (no 4GLTE needed) use the wifi

the secret sauce o_O

Delivered Feb 13, 2015
    Package was left in a parcel locker

[​IMG]
    Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Bluetooth Mouse (H3S-00003)

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
    $19.99
    \n \n \n Cancel\n \n \n
    \n","header":"Buy it Again"}" style="box-sizing: border-box;">Buy it Again
    [​IMG]
    StarTech.com 3 ft Mini DisplayPort 1.2 Video Extension Cable M/F - Mini DisplayPort 4k with HBR2 support - Mini DP Extension Cable 91 cm

$21.79

Return or replace itemsWrite a product reviewArchive order
    ORDER PLACED
    February 5, 2015
    TOTAL
    $313.06

• Your package was delivered.

[​IMG]
    3 of Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDMI Cable 3 Feet

Sold by: Cable Matters
    $10.99

[​IMG]
    StarTech.com Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to Triple Head DisplayPort Multi Monitor MST Hub - mDP 1.2 Multi Stream Transport Hub - mDP to 3x DP

Delivered Feb 7, 2015
    Your package was left at the front door or on the front porch.
    The delivery was signed by: Signature not required

[​IMG]
    3 of Asus VS247H-P 23.6-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit LCD Monitor

14. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

15. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

I have been using my SP3 pro as my travel and mobile computer since last August. TOS runs fine, as does Option Vue and Excel using RTD to get quote data from TOS. All at the same time, and Skype and my mail.

I have not noticed the fan going on and off but I am sure it has. I have never had an unexpected shutdown. Battery life is easily several hours while running TOS.

16. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

Everything works great however TOS is not an enlargeable app - you cant enlarge the screen with two fingers swiping like you can with most tablet apps. The buttons and controls, like scroll bars are quite small and hard to do with your fingers. I use the pen all the time.

17. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

Part 3 - for some reason this site wont let me post everything at once.
    When I first installed TOS the fonts were way too small until someone explained that you can select large size fonts

18. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

Part 4

from the login page config screen. That made it usable. I have used TOS on the sp3 tethered to my iPhone, it works reasonably well.

19. Amin Abdul-Karim

Amin Abdul-Karim New Member

In general, SP3(Surface Pro 3) is a step up from SP(Surface Pro). That said, new versions of TOS still tend to hog the machine. I found that setting the update rate for TOS quotes to 3 seconds helps. Battery life is good for up to 3-4 hours on WiFi with 2X TOS + ONE + Skype + Email + IE. I have to recharge about once during the trading day. The machine is very responsive throughout. I do not use a mouse though that would probably be a better experience nor a larger monitor. Even when the SP3 seems to stutter, it is usually TOS that is causing the issue since as soon as I shutdown/restart TOS, the stutter goes away. It also helps to restart ONE once during the trading day usually mid-day after I have imported any adjustments or new trades.
    My SP3 is running Win 8.1 Update and has the corei5 processor with 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. A 64GB SD card is also installed where I have user profiles and OneDrive. I am also using the Type Cover from SP which is not ideal but works.

20. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member