SMB Capital

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Slivnik, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Scott Slivnik

Scott Slivnik Well-Known Member

A guy from SMB Capital cold called me yesterday to sell me trading mentoring services. He was pleasant to talk to. It was clear within the first 30 seconds that they are targeting newer traders which I am not. I explained that I am in the beginning stages of learning to invest in equities, and he stated they have a mentor for that. I have no problem spending money to speed up the learning process, so I asked questions about the mentor. The mentor teaches how to day trade futures. Seriously? Honestly, he should have politely ended the call five minutes before this point.

Never received a phone call from them in the past. Has anyone else received a phone call from them recently?

2. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

That certainly sounds suspicious
    I was wondering how did they get your phone number ?
    Did you sign up for any freebies ?
    Sounds like they are getting desperate if they have to make phone calls to get new traders if that was even SMB Capital
    With all the phony scams and spoofing these days who know if it really was them ? Just wondering

3. Scott Slivnik

Scott Slivnik Well-Known Member

I did join the SMB group for a month but that is it. Perhaps that is where they got my phone number. I received an e-mail immediately following the call. The signature has
    Kershner Trading Group in it. Are they affiliated with SMB Capital? He provided Seth's e-mail address in the e-mail for any questions I may have.

The only issue I have with the call is someone is willing to cause harm to others for financial gain. Recommending a short-term futures trader to someone looking to do longer-term equity trading is a recipe for disaster.

4. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

You could check with Seth or someone from the equity desk to validate the identity of the person who called. It does sound suspicious to me that these guys would reach out and recruit new traders via phone calls.

5. comintel

comintel Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  6. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I believe Kershner Trading Group provides capital for the trading desks at SMB. SMB does employ a full-time sales person so it was likely SMB who called you.

7. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

That's all it takes Once they get your contact information they can give it to any of their affiliated parties to see if they convince you to become their client
    Of course they don't know anything about you and they really don't care as long as they can get you in the door
    It's up to you to decide if that fits your trading preference

I looked at that link that comitel provided and they have some advanced stuff like CloudQuant which is getting into algo trading but that's probably not what you are looking for
    I also looked at Seth on that site and he is described as the Options desk manager so I am not sure if he is going to be a good mentor for equities if that's what you are looking for
    I also found a podcast where he is talking about trading options for income
    http://tradingstory.com/podcast/37-former-ceo-seth-freudberg-on-trading-options-for-income/