Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend trade width

Discussion in 'Options' started by gtboy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. gtboy

gtboy New Member

Hi
    I have been trading spx spreads for about a year now and so i am basically learning as i go. Usually i trade 1000 and 500 spreads. i trade less than 20 deltas. depends on premium.
    maybe this is a stupid question but does any knows a formula to use to determine what spread width to use. I just go with my feelings and depends on the premium receive.
    I also close trades once I reach about 50% of total profit. I never had to consider rescuing a trade - so far lol. I have about 10 Gs trading account now.
    I beat my self up when i realised if i have left my trade to expire i could have save so much money, i keep making the same mistakes taking profits too early.

Also I am trying to make rules as i go. stop using my emotions and have a plan. I would like if you guys and gals could share some of your trading rules and plans. I do realised every1 is different but at least I could use your ideas to build mine.

thanks a lot for reading and hope to get some replys.

tc :)

2. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

Hi gtboy

Perhaps you could start things off yourself in talking about which rules you are using now.
    From what you've said, I assume you are selling OTM put credit spreads?
    Let us know what you're currently doing, and then we can see if we can provide some other hints/tips which you can then test out.