Psychology of Trading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vega4mike, Oct 24, 2016.

1. vega4mike

vega4mike Well-Known Member

Hi Tom,
    The round tables over the years have been a great source of trading information over the years & I like many others have benefitted tremendously from these presentations. One aspect of trading often ignored is the psychological aspect. I have recently been reading a lot of books into the subject and wondered if it would be possible to invite Denise Shull to give a presentation at one of the round tables. She seems to have a different take on the subject based on research into neuroscience (there is now a new discipline called neuroeconomics - there is a course on Coursera for those interested).
    Some of the books I have been reading are:
    Thinking, Fast and Slow - by Daniel Kahneman (Hard read, but very informative, opens up your eyes, you think you know yourself, well, think again)
    BrainChains - Compernolle MD.PhD, Dr Theo (Softer read, basically, lots of sleep is very important)
    Market Mind Games: A Radical Psychology of Investing, Trading and Risk - Shull, Denise (just ordered, but been listening to her past presentations on youtube)
    The Brain : The Story of You - David Eagleman (fun read)
    Incognito : David Eagleman (yet to read)

Michael.:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    onyxperidot likes this.
  2. Paul Demers

Paul Demers Well-Known Member

I would like to add whats on my reading list:

Peak: Secrets from the new science of expertise
    Spark: The revolutionary new science of exercise and the brain
    Switch: How to change things when change is hard
    The power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and business
    Mindset: The new psychology of success
    The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving your wildly important goals

3. Rtb

Rtb Well-Known Member

Michael, after you have read Market Mind Games. I would appreciate your opinion on it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. vega4mike

vega4mike Well-Known Member

Will do.

5. John Locke

John Locke New Member

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

7. Murphy Tan

Murphy Tan Well-Known Member

Hi all, my favourite book is The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli. It helped me to avoid many of the biases when I pick stocks and trade.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Regards
    Murphy

8. Boomer34

Boomer34 Well-Known Member

9. Brooks

Brooks Well-Known Member

I like Mark Douglas but the best book I've read is Habitudes of Highly Successful Traders by Ruth Barrons Roosevelt. She has some great material on dealing with losses and drawdowns. It's a quick read at 103 pages. Her website is: https://ruthroosevelt.com/

10. onyxperidot

onyxperidot Well-Known Member

11. Sylvia001

Sylvia001 Guest

I have read all of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2017