Home > Option Trading Software and Tools > OptionVue Forum > PLEASE VOTE: OptionVue Feature Request Poll

PLEASE VOTE: OptionVue Feature Request Poll

1. LET'S IMPROVE OPTIONVUE TOGETHER!!
    Having used robust trading platforms such as TradeStation and MultiCharts for years, I am surprised to see that what appears to the be leading software platform, regarding Greek modeling, has not kept up with advances in modern software architecture. I have tested OptionVue for some time and am frustrated by its ease of use, poor performance, and varying stability.

Capital Discussions and other communities have recently had success in getting the OptionVue Team to revert their Vol modeling, so I have created the below poll in the hope that we, as a community, can show how much we care about an improved architecture of the platform that many of us rely on for our trading.

ONE is adding features quickly and I am, on behalf of OptionVue, concerned that OptionVue will start loosing a lot of market share if they do not begin to re-architecture their solution and be more innovative in the features offered. It will only take so long for ONE to catch up with their modeling engine.

Please vote to help improve OptionVue and let me know if you want me to add other major features to this poll.

2. Mmh, I was a customer of ONE in the past (two times, each 12 months long). Back then it was my impression, that promised features take ages. Buttons like the automatic backtest are without function for years. And there could pass 10 months without a new release in between.

I agree, OV is really ancient. As far as I know it is written in Delphi, which is ancient itself (it even was ancient a decade or two ago).

The biggest feature I'm missing (in both) is web based access. I would like to have a quick look from my smart phone or tablet. Both require Windows, I'm a Mac user...

3. Great idea, my suspicion is that OV just haven't got the resources to implement any of the above. It appears that for now OV is employing the milk the cash cow business model, until the milk runs out, by then the architects of OV may then just retire.:rolleyes:

4. I fear exactly the same and the hidden intent of this thread is also for OV to speak out about their future plans.

My suggestions are not easily implemented and will require starting from scratch using a modern language such as .Net or even better, build the solution as a cloud based HTML5 solution with a solid and powerful backend; similar to www.tradingview.com.

Let's collect votes and see what happens.

Cheers

5. Off topic a bit, but http://www.code2015.com/ shows still a fair number of people are still using Delphi, which surprised me. Obviously it's a very small sample, but still interesting.

6. Who knows... maybe in a few years when options trading become more mainstream, options analysis functions like ONE and OV will be part of the broker platform and free ;)

7. I don't think that's going to happen. Brokers such as Interactive Brokers would rather provide state of the art APIs for platforms such as ONE and MultiCharts to integrate too. If they were to offer premium features such as these, their fees would be higher and their focus divided - TradeStation is a good example of misdivided attention.

Personally, I prefer a best-of-breed approach. Rock-solid execution with cheap brokerage fees and state-of-the-art analysis platform.

8. That may not be a very good indicators I am sure there are still some COBOL programmers out there.;) When Borland (remember Philippe Kahn) first introduced it, it was a good alternative to various development environments (at my company we tested just about all of them, although we went with another one). But today, I doubt it is keeping up. This is the first time I see it mentioned in about 15 years.

9. Python and Swift is the future ;-) Apple recently made Swift open source.

10. Just looking at the list of requests. it occurs to me that ONE already has some of the features and probably is closer to implementing some other feature, due to the more robust developing platform. I think they are using .NET?? I am not sure. To add some of the more "technological" feature OV may need to move to a different platform.

Somebody who has access to ONE could you check which of the features are already in ONE.

On another topic, I do not think TOS or IB would want to invest a lot of money into replicating OV or ONE, the market is too small and at the same time very particular about their trading. Although, if TOS would add some features to better track trades and provide true P/L including realized gain losses, it will be possible to use TOS to trade complex option positions.

11. Yes, ONE already has some of them and it is absolutely a more robust platform. However, what they don't have (yet) is the best Greek modeling.

12. Somebody who has access to ONE could you check what features
    Both OV and ONE are driven by their founders and original developers. Both will reflect priorities set by these two people respectively. And I don't get a feeling that OV values UI as a high priority.
    Also, they also both have the same problem, lack of cash for major expansion into things like tablet-type interfaces or Mac support. Having those would be nice but for now I would be happy if they just focused on the basics: solid and reasonably intuitive interface, reliable IV modeling, good performance, back-testing, trade tracking, solid reporting and Excel interface. I would also like to see good quality control and production release process including roll-back plans ( I am mostly talking about OV here).

13. Looks to me like a lot of ONE shills... Complaining about the fact that something is written in C++, IMS, Cobol, or Delphi ignores the end result and years of improvements.
    Being a long time user, and proponent of OptionVue, I have not seen any software that has the features and one click interface that OV provides. I've used ONE, ToS, and others, but there is nothing that I have seen that has teh features, and ease of use UI that OptionVue provides. Nothing is perfect, especially a software program keeping up with the options markets.

IMO, The discussion about how 'ancient' it is only shows peoples ignorance that some people think 'newer is better', only to be deeply disappointed and regretting what they asked for. I hope that Len and the people at OptionVue never cave in to the requests of redesigning the software just for the sake of making it "look pretty" for a MacPad.

A clear example of this is eSignal, having revamped their charting software to accommodate a new "look and feel" for iPads. eSignal's overhaul resulted in a huge loss of functionality, What once used to take one click now requires several "points and clicks" to accomplish. The UI ino longer resembles anything I recognize, This has resulted in me and many other professionals leaving eSignal - never to return. (Ohhh, but it looks so pretty !)

Complainers: Think about how much you put at risk on a trade, and apply that amount to a few 1-1 training sessions... for OptionVue and/or trading in general. For people new to OptionVue, I suggest you take the time to learn and appreciate the many features of a program on Version 7, and consider the fact that some things can not run on a tablet with a pinch...take the time to watch the videos, and learn the software before you complain about what language some program was written in.

14. This poll and thread is about the OV architecture which encompasses much more than just how pretty the GUI is. In fact, only one of the poll options references the GUI.

You are 100% correct that newer is not always better, however, many times newer is better. Just ask IBM.

One of the primary reasons this poll was created is due to the recent modeling issues. OV's model is the reason some of us purchased a subscription. OV chose to mess with their software's strength rather than their software's weaknesses. This poll is an attempt to encourage OV to shift their focus away from their model and focus on their software's weaknesses.

ONE's modeling is the only major feature that is preventing me from switching from OV to ONE. ONE is currently working on their model and will likely obtain the software once I feel the model is up to par. A solution that uses a modern architecture and a solid option model is ideal and looks like ONE will achieve that first.

I will be voting for multi-threading support as soon I am finished typing this reply as I believe this would provide the greatest improvement out of the poll options. OV processes everything in a single thread. When IB or TOS is used as the data feed, the data feed processing ties up the entire primary thread which slows down OV considerably including keyboard and mouse input. If OV were to create separate worker threads for the data feed processing, 90%+ of the keyboard/mouse issues would disappear. Only the GUI, keyboard/mouse and quick operations should be processed by the primary thread. All other operations should be processed by worker threads.

Delphi is indeed old but is still being updated and is a viable solution today. The recent versions of Delphi can access the .NET framework. There is nothing wrong with sticking with Delphi if one prefers the Pascal language.

If I decided to develop option analysis software today, a HTML5 solution would be out of the question. Javascript engines are not up to the task except for maybe high-end desktop computers. HTML5/Javascript could handle a basic option model just fine but once more advanced functionality is added, such as CEV, a HTML5/Javascript solution would choke. I would develop a desktop application and then develop apps for tablets and phones if resources allowed.

15. Expressing opinions about a product is not complaining. Suggesting another product as an alternative is does not mean "shilling" for it, (none of us is getting paid by ONE).

If you like OV, great. It obviously they built a unique platform based on a superior model. But it does have many problems, an outdated UI is just one of them. Among them are: performance and slow data entry, poor quality control and often refusal to even admit that there may be a problem, no ability to save positions to the server and thus being able to access them on several computers, etc.

I do not yet know how I will proceed. But I will give ONE a chance...

16. Hello Everyone, I read your comments with interest and, in time, I'd lie to respond to several of them. First, am interested in your feedback about the software itself and what improvements are needed. From the survey above, I see that performance and UI are major categories. I'm going to need more details. Regarding the UI, what exactly needs to change? Right now the program allows for overlapping windows like the original Word program. Does this need to be changed into a "fixed frame" layout like what TOS and ONE have? (where the main window has tabs along the top and your focus is on a single asset at a time?) What about the icons? Do they need to be re-designed? If you think so, please help me understand why. It is difficult for me to understand why bold, simple images in black/white, and no words to go along with them, is an improvement over what we have now. But I am open; please help me understand. I need specific suggestions about the UI. (One thing I already know is that we need every date field in the program to allow a calendar image to be opened.) We are very interested in making our software easier to use, and yes, even more modern looking as long as it doesn't tend to make the program more difficult to use. Help me understand exactly what needs to change.

Regarding performance, it is important to distinguish between the areas of real-time data reception, BackTrader, and other areas of the program. In terms of real-time data reception with IB and TOS, these interfaces are severely hindered by the small number of symbols they can deal with at one time. Also, because of the crudeness of their interfaces, they are extremely difficult to improve upon. I do not have much hope for improving those two interfaces. Keeping your symbol count low is a big help.

Data reception with QuoteVue (our own service) is excellent for customers with a good internet connection. I want to point out that all of OptionVue's data reception, whether it be QuoteVue, IB or TOS, is handled multi-threaded. Every time a message arrives, Windows launches a new thread and the OptionVue code handles the incoming message asynchronously.

About BackTrader performance, we are aware that this has been an issue, and even more so lately (esp. the $SPX). We have taken steps to make it possible for users to have local data available so that the program is not having to talk with the server at every step in time. In addition, there was a bug that recently fixed, and will be out in the next release of the program (hopefully later this week). The program was often connecting to, and getting data from, NetVue unnecessarily even when the data was available locally. And I intend to give this area more study to see whether anything more can be done. But meanwhile, if you have never tried the "local data" approach, please do! We recently found that many of our customers were not even aware of this feature. From the main menu, choose NetVue | Collect BackTrader Data.

OptionVue is a 32-bit program. Changing it to 64-bit would not be difficult. However, we have considered whether going to 64-bit gains anything, and we have determined that it does not. People generally assume that 64 bit is bound to be more advanced, and therefore better, but that is not necessarily true. Going to 64-bit allows an app to address huge amounts of local memory but there can be performance reductions. OptionVue currently addresses all of the memory it needs, and therefore we see no reason to change it to be a 64-bit program. (Our server software (also custom designed by us using Delphi) is 64-bit because it definitely needs to address large amounts of memory. It is also hugely multi-threaded.)

OptionVue already supports multiple monitors. Is there anything about this that needs to be improved? If so, what?

I see that there were a few votes for international options exchange data. What exchange(s) are we talking about here? One way of getting price data into OptionVue is through importing from a text file. If you can somehow get price data into a text file, then OptionVue can import it. (File | Import)

Looking forward to more dialog...

17. Len,
    Thank you for your response and taking time to read the posts, criticisms and all.
    Just some quick thoughts, I will try to add more later as I think of various improvements.
    1. The most important to me is to be able to avoid surprise updates with changes changes to the core models, I think you need to set up a beta-testing option for people to download and provide feedback prior to any significant change to the program.
    2. Regarding UI, it really does not make great difference to me how it looks. But some features which are standard in just about any program are not there, such as any date option i.e in back-testing or in moving projection date beyond the last expiration cycle (in analyze screen) should all have a calendar which does not require any data entry. Also would be nice for trade log dates to be enabled so you can click on it and go to that date in back-tester.
    3. A nice addition would be to be able to exclude some imported trades prior to committing them to the trade log.
    4. Data entry delays is a real annoyance
    5. Multi-windows and multi-screen support is a big subject and I am sure many people will have many opinions. Adding tabs will be an improvement, so you can have RUT tab and SPX tab, etc. I would like to be able to move the analyze frame to separate screen and have an option to link it to any changes in the model, (an "update" button should suffice)
    6. Being able to save trade history and back-testing logs to the serve. Thus making it easier to access them while traveling and working away from home.
    7. I still would like every trade to have a unique ID associated with it. Using R field just insufficient for me. Thus I use a new account for each trade, I think many people do the same.

18. @Len,

Thanks for your feedback. Let me elaborate on the thoughts behind the features listed in the poll while commenting on some of the points you brought up in your response.

For any trading analysis software, whether it being OptionVue, TradeStation, MultiCharts, ONE, etc., I care about four areas:
    • STABILITY & RELIABILITY: How stable and reliable is the software? Does it freeze or crash often? Is each new release properly tested?
    • PERFORMANCE: Does the solution have near real-time (sub-second) response times across all features except for areas where one does e.g. download of large amounts of data or brute force optimisation?
    • EASE OF USE: How intuitive is the software to use? Can I quickly find what I am looking for? Does the UI look clean, modern and is the solution pleasant to work with? Do the colors strain my eyes?
    • TRANSPARENCY: Does the vendor listen to its paying customers by e.g. involving them in voting for the prioritization of new features? Is the feature roadmap shared with users and is it transparent when new features are released and bugs fixed? Is it possible to submit bug reports that are openly tracked?
    STABILITY & RELIABILITY
    This requirement is self-explaining.

PERFORMANCE
    To improve overall performance the following features were suggested:

• - Multi-core & multi-threading support // faster performance
    • - 64-bit support (4GB+ RAM Support)
    • - Proper cloud storage of back-test data for near instant loading // use global CDN for faster load

From a user perspective, the above requests are layman ideas to what can make the software perform better. What is required only you and your team can determine.

The worst performance lag for me has been when doing back-testing as I sometimes had to wait up to 30 seconds for a new day to load. While there are probably many reasons for this (from bugs to architecture) the fact is that it is frustrating and hinders one from doing one's work. ONE, for example, loads extremely fast when browsing through time and does not require the user to download data files manually, do a batch run overnight, etc. Why can't OptionVue do the same?

EASE OF USE
    The following feature requests fall into this category:

- Multi-monitor support // floating windows
    - 5-minute intraday data
    - Improved UI // UX (user interface and user experience)
    - International options exchange data

OptionVue has a lot of great functionality that is e.g. tugged away behind small buttons. How about refreshing the whole UI and grouping everything similar to Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac, which is both Menu and Ribbon-based? Microsoft has spent so much money on usability research, and I find their navigation, look and feel, very intuitive and easy to use. How about asking a professional UX designer to develop some samples of how OptionVue could be rethought and then let the user community vote for the preferred option?

Some software packages such as ThinkOrSwim allow the user to move smaller windows outside of the main container, which makes them freely moveable to other monitors - just one example. While the main OptionVue window can be expanded across monitors, I don't call that multi-monitor support. See the below video for how it works in ToS.

On the color front, it would be nice if OptionVue had a black skin similar to TOS and Bloomberg. It is easier for the eyes.

TRANSPARENCY
    It would be great if OptionVue would be more open about the future direction of the platform. How about involving users by letting them vote for new features, have a clear view of what has changed, when new features are launched, etc.?

Microsoft Office 365 openly shares their roadmap with users and IT professionals so that they know what to expect: http://fasttrack.office.com/roadmap

MultiCharts does the same: http://www.multicharts.com/pm/

I hope the above makes sense.

19. I have a couple additional requests:
    1) Since OptionVue knows when the position is not shown in the matrix window it provides arrow(s) that user must click to bring them into view (or use the scroll bar). Why not automate this?
    2) Under the Gain/Loss tab in the Reports window why don't you fill in the values in the table instead of just showing a summary line at the bottom which combines the entire trade? Perhaps this is already an option that I don't see.
    3) Using two monitors to view the Matrix, Price Chart and Analysis windows simultaneously as I use backtrader works ok for me, but I would like window position memory implemented so I don't have to arrange windows with each use
    thank you

20. I would like to add one more item. The system should verify that all unexpired options present in the trade log are in the matrix. One example would be: loading a trade from TOS and then realizing that some options are not even listed in the matrix.

21. Thank you Andrei, Speculator 152, and Rick for the suggestions. I have made notes on all of them, and will consider when we can work these items into our development schedule.

I want to comment on a few items here:

Andrei #1. We learned a lot from the experiences of the past few months and we are not going to disturb the core models any more. I want people to understand that we have 100’s of customers outside the John Locke group who see the shortcomings of the existing model, as do we, and we still feel that it is right to try to improve upon it. However, when we get ready to move forward, we will add a new model selection in the program. Maybe we will call the existing model that John Locke people need the “golden oldie” and the model that we want to move forward with will be called by some other name.

#3. I assume you’re talking about importing trades from a TOS output file. I want to work on this very soon.

#4. What data entry delays are you referring to? Is it trying to type something into the Matrix while receiving quotes from TOS? If so, I already spent a LOT of time trying to resolve that and could not. Somehow the old style DDE quotes interface interferes with keyboard input.

I understand your other points. I’m giving thought to doing #7 sooon.

Speculator 152 About the back-testing performance: Did you read what I wrote about this previously? We are taking action in this area.

In UI, you suggested using a Ribbon style menu across the top. How do others feel about this? Is this one of the important things that you feel needs to change?

I understand your other points.

Rick #1. I don’t think people would appreciate having their strikes or expirations shifted automatically. They might be surprised or confused by it.

#2. It sounds like you used the same R code for all the trades, which causes the program to consider them to be grouped together and considered a single position.

#3. I tried stretching out the OpVue program across two monitors, placing several open windows scattered apart, and when I closed and re-opened the program, the windows opened up in the same positions. Please call for tech help if you need to.

Andrei again. Regarding having all positions have their options automatically defined in the Matrix: This should work already, maybe not real-time though. You might need to close and re-open the Matrix. I’m going to make a note to check into this. Thanks.

Now I’d like to respond to the comments about Delphi:

There is a misconception among many that Delphi is an old style development system that is not staying current. The truth is, Delphi is a completely modern system, kept up to date by its relatively new owner, Embarcadero. With it, you can develop PC apps, web apps, and mobile apps. All sorts of modern controls can be popped into forms, so if you think OptionVue looks old fashioned, that would be my fault, not Delphi’s. And in terms of performance, programs compiled using Delphi rank very high in benchmark tests. We, at OptionVue, put it to the test every day in our servers which can handle bursts of up to 100,000 price updates per second arriving from our data source.

Back in 1995, we selected Delphi over Microsoft Studio because there was a huge productivity difference. Not only did we find that we could write code faster in Delphi, but because the compiler was so much faster (3 seconds versus 2 minutes), debugging was much more pleasant as well. You could make a change and try it out in seconds, thus keeping your mind on the task.

Anyone who prefers C++ over Pascal, you can get a C++ version of Delphi. My personal preference is Pascal, as I find it more readable, and programs written in Pascal are easier to maintain in my opinion.

Both the server side (NetVue) and the client side (OptionVue) were written using Delphi, and the truth is, OptionVue Systems would not be here today if, back in 1995, we were forced to use Microsoft C, because our first Windows version of OptionVue would have taken too long to develop.

22. For Len and others in this thread: I'm wondering if there are previous threads or discussions around some of the things Len pointed out in his latest response.

What exactly are the weaknesses of the existing model? What are the proposed (and previously implemented) changes that were intended to improve the model?

I certainly don't need it hashed out again if the discussion has already occurred. Just curious to try to learn from the people who have already flushed this out.

Thanks,

23. Good question. I doubt if there is a good answer to that already in the forum and I probably should have elaborated before. OptionVue's current approach to fitting the vertical skew curve works well for the vast majority of stocks, but not as well for some of the most popular indexes and ETFs. With those, many times the curve just doesn't fit the data very well. As a result, when you look at an option's fair value vs. its market price (in the Matrix) you can see them be quite different. For John Locke people, what this means is that the Graham Dot in Graphic Analysis is often above or below the zero line, indicating that you should realize an instant gain or loss if the options were to "snap" back in line with their fair value. But, as I'm saying, the fair value just isn't right.

Back in November we introduced a new vertical skew curve fit model that produced beautiful curve fits. Unfortunately, it fit the curves so well that every little shift in the shape of the curve translated into different Greeks. And the curves DO change shape pretty often as market makers price the options differently in response to changing conditions.

We still have that new model, but it is sitting in the code "commented out", as we programmers say. In other words, it is "on ice" for now. Would like to come back to it some day, but probably not very soon. And when we do, we'll make it be a separately selectable model.

24. Thanks for the clear explanation, Len.

I think it's a fantastic idea to introduce a new model every time you make changes to the volatility model. That way long-term customers have time to backtest their strategies with the new model while continuing to trade with the existing model until they feel comfortable with your new approach.

On your response from yesterday, yes I read your other reply. I'm happy to hear that you found the bug and are taking corrective action.

25. I would love to see a Ribbon style UI and overall improved and more appealing UI controls! It would make the grouping of features that go together so much easier to find.

You make some good points. I think there has been a misconception that a different programming language would bring different UI controls. I care about performance and ease of use and if that can be achieved with Delphi then great!

Two more suggestions:
    Merge Matrix and Analysis/Underlying graph window

It would also be great to have the Matrix and the Analysis window merged in the same fashion that ONE has it - I know it is possible to link them today in OV but the way ONE has done it is very user friendly. Also, having the underlying chart and analysis graph as tabs on the right side makes it so easy to use.

Cloud storage of settings

One of my favourite features of ONE is that it stores all my settings in the cloud. Please do the same with OV - it is so last century to having to manually backup your settings.

26. Great suggestions! I would like to see them too ;-)

27. @Len Yates, here is an example from ThinkOrSwim of how they have done multi-monitor support. I would love to see that in OV. This would hopefully allow us to have multiple analysis/matrix combos open across multiple monitors.

Is this something that you can do in OV?

28. Cloud storage of files with OptionVue is quite easy to do using free services such as Dropbox or Google drive. There are helpful videos on our www.optionvue.com site to explain how to do this such as this one from Jeremy Truelove: http://www.optionvue.info/videos/watch.php?vid=b95934ef0. As to the side-by-side analysis we have it so the windows can be linked or separated (for multiple monitor use). I do not get any real felling from your post as to why you think the ONE implementation is easier to use.

29. Hi Len, thank you for participating in this forum and discussing path forward for us.

I use OV with quotes from TOS. My single, biggest wish is that OV would eliminate the delay when entering trades, typing prices and commissions into Tlog, and even when entering the name for a new account. In fact these reasons if not fixed will make me reconsider if I can continue to use OV.

I have tried all the suggestions by the support team to improve performance, with limited results. As a comparison, I use and Excel sheet that gets many more quotes from TOS via RTD (DDE's replacement) and there is NEVER a delay in entering data to cells, or doing anything. this all makes me doubt that the bottleneck on performance is the memory allocated to TOS or the number of quotes received. Instead it looks like a bottleneck inherent in the platform OV is developed on, and if it is Delphi/30-year old technology that explains it.

Another factor that supports my contention is OV does not make full use of the windows registry. There are some basic keys but, for example, the Programs page does not "see" OV and cannot uninstall it. And there isn't an "install" procedure, simply copying the bits onto the computer produces a runnable product (like DOS did). Not using the registry to the standard likely means that there are a lot of security holes in the use of OV due to old technology and being a non-conforming application to the windows standard.

A modernized, windows-standard user interface would be nice as well, such as pull down lists, date select calendars, up/down arrow selections that are context-sensitive in place etc. Yes I agree with a former reply here that it would be a good idea to work with a professional windows based UI designer and publish mock-ups if you are going to do a redesign.

I know you said that Delphi is modernized and if so, it should be easy to fix all these issues.

30. I also use OV with TOS as the data feed. My biggest issue with OV is the slow response to the keyboard and mouse, and the delay in retrieving updated values from TOS and recalculating Greeks and P&L. As other contributors have indicated, I have incorporated every suggestion from OV support to mitigate the problem, with only marginal success, and frequently have to close/restart OV to get it to work again. Resolving this problem would keep me as an OV customer, even if none of the other requested enhancements were ever implemented.

I am in the process of trial testing the ONE beta with CEV (TOS data feed), and have experienced absolutely no problems with software responsiveness. If ONE software developers can provide fast response, why can't OV software developers do the same? Perhaps OV should pay some big $$$ to lure the ONE programmers to OV!

A request that I have that is not on the feature request poll is for OV to support multiple simultaneous symbols in a beta-weighted portfolio view of an account in the matrix and in graphic analysis, as TOS can do now. This feature would allow me to trade a small M3 position using IWM as a hedge instead of the RUT, and to view the aggregate position Greeks and T+n expiration lines.

31. Len, here are my suggestions,
    1. above all else, correct the greeks model and P/L. 7.84 has issues and I know you're working those.
    2. User interface improvements:
    a) make the analyze graph window remember it's size, position, and scale settings so the next time you hit the analyze button, the window pops up the same as before.
    b) Do the above for the Tlog & chart windows. Every time I open Tlog I have to resize it to see the comments column.
    c) Add the ability to define a set of windows, sizes, and positions into user named workspace layouts.
    d) Add a text box to the matrix window so if you define an adjustment and commit it, you can enter a Tlog comment without having to open the tlog screen.
    e) add a drop-down textbox to the matrix which causes all committed trades to use the character you put in (or select from previous characters) the box to be the "R" column character
    f) Add the ability to select multiple Tlog rows and delete them all at once.
    g) Fix the report window so that it displays transactions for the specified date range, even if you're in backtrader.

Thanks.

32. The Expirations for Weeklys only goes to 8. That currently takes us to Apr 2 in SPX, but we have trades on in Apr 9. You can manually add in an expiration but OV doesn't remember that if I close and re-open the Matrix.

Suggestion is to either have OV remember the user defined expirations, or allow more Weekly expirations in the drop down.

33. I just submitted a support request to OV on this subject of showing weekly expirations that are more than 8 weeklys out. Per Ken Dole, disable (uncheck) "AutoStrike Enabled" on the Define tab, then in the Options tab, manually add in the expirations you wish to see, delete those you don't want to see (de-clutters the Matrix), and click OK. As long as you don't enable AutoStrike, or change any of the other settings in the Define tab, OV will remember these expirations. The same applies to strikes shown in the Matrix; for example, you can add a far OTM strike that does not show with Large OTM extents enabled. I asked Ken to have Jim Graham cover this topic when he gives his next OV education presentation.

34. @Len Yates and @jim graham,
    Do you mind sharing an update with the community on what your plans are for the future of OV? Another user had a very good suggestion of you making a road map available to us and let us vote on which features to focus on.
    To be honest, I am starting to be quite frustrated about the lack of response to the many wishes for new features, a nicer UI, etc. My firm pays thousand of USD per year for access to OV and we expect more than we are getting. Quite a few alternatives to OV are emerging such as LiveVol, ONE, etc.
    PS. I openly admit that we are testing LiveVol and ONE and like what we see. That said, we would like to remain with OV but you guys gotta step up the innovation and openness a bit to make that happen.
    Thanks,
    Niels (A loyal customer)

35. @Len Yates, I just downloaded your archived files to speed up backtesting and got thinking about your 64-bit comment. How about loading the historical data into memory so that OV does not have to access the HD to read the next day/half hour? Would working with historical data stored in-memory not be lightening fast? There you have a use case for using the 16 GB Ram I have on my PC.

I notice all the historical data is stored in small 2KB files. Why is historical data not stored in some kind of database for faster read/write access?

36. Yes, I can use Dropbox or Google Drive but that does not remove the pain of having to run backup schedules, etc. nor does it allow me to log into OptionVue from a different computer and find my settings as I left them on the other computer. I am referring to functionality that makes OptionVue desktop independent - all data is stored in your Cloud against my login and I don't have to worry about backing up settings, downloading data, etc.

I hope the above makes sense.

37. Although Len Yates shot down my previous ideas (I disagree with his responses but I sense I am wasting my time with further discussion of those items), I will list another item I feel will be helpful:
    Enable user to fix the projection date for a T+x line to a specific DTE and keep it. For instance user expects to exit his trades at 14 DTE and wants to view that projection throughout his back testing.
    Currently when you set a date manually OV changes it back to its default when you make any change with backtrader, etc.

38. What they are suggesting in that video is not backing up your OV data to Dropbox, but rather moving the entire OV directory under the Dropbox directory and running OV from there. This way you'll be essentially sharing a single copy of OV between all your computers.

39. Len, when can we expect to hear from you on all of the great suggestions from users on this thread - it has been a while?

Frustration among CD users is growing and not hearing from the President of the company that we all rely on is concerning.

You said "looking forward to more dialog" but we have not heard from you for a long time.

I, too, am "looking forward to more dialog"!

40. I apologize for the delay in responding. Have had a lot to deal with the past few days.

Tim:

Regarding the TOS interface and the interference with typing information into fields: This happens due to some kind of interference between DDE and keyboard input way down in the Microsoft OS level, out of my “reach”. I once spent two whole days trying to solve this, but could not. The only thing I could do is make it so quotes reception stops after the first keystroke, so that the remainder of the input could take place w/o interference. (Quotes resume as soon as you’re finished.) Supposedly there is a more modern RTD interface available. We have it on our schedule to investigate that and see if we can make that work.

Regarding the full use of the registry. That is odd, because we use a modern installation program. We will look into it.

About context-sensitive pull down lists and up/down arrow selections, can you give me an example of those ideas and where, in the OptionVue program, you would use them? Thanks. (The suggestion regarding date select calendars I understand.)

Jim Clements:

Regarding the incorporation of multiple (closely related) assets in a single Graphic Analysis, we have this on our schedule to accomplish this year.

Tecman240:

2a: The analyze graph window does remember its position and size if you leave it open while you get the next position ready to analyze. So I suggest you try that for now. Meanwhile, we will try to have the Matrix remember its associated analyze graph’s size and position even if you close it.

2b: The T.Log and Price Chart are designed to remember their size and position, and this works fine for us. Strange that they don’t for you. Please feel free to call us for tech support.

2c: The program currently does remember all window sizes and positions per asset. That is, it remembers your GOOG price chart’s size/position separate from your AMZN price chart size/position. To have named workspace layouts, that’s a new request. Thanks.

2d: Open a dialog when converting a trade to accept notes and set the transaction price, etc. Understood.

2e: Understood.

2f: Understood.

2g: We weren’t aware of a problem in this area. Do you have an example for us?

Tom:

Regarding the need for a 9th and 10th weekly to be defined. Understood.

TheSpeculator152:

Good thoughts, but I’m not sure they would work. Whether the data is held in local memory or in local hard drive doesn’t make much difference. The problem is in delivering the data to each customer’s PC.

If bulk data were stored in a single DB file, then each additional day’s data would require the transmission of a new copy of this huge file. That is why we have small individual files. Also the fact that customers are usually interested in a small universe of individual assets.

Rick:

I understand your suggestion about keeping the manually entered projection date when stepping to a different date in BackTrader.

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT, EVERYONE

I appreciate your patience as we continue to add improvements to the software. Just FYI, we are adding Portfolio Margining to the program soon. It’s already been developed and it is in testing.

41. Len,
    Thank you for making time to interact with your clients. It is very much appreciated.
    I am glad to see you mention RTD. I would strongly advise that your people look into this method of getting data from TOS. DDE is ancient, out-of-date and fragile. No one has developed actively with it for quite a number of years. I hope you are able to move on this quickly.
    Joe

42. Len,
    Another question is whether OV is a multi-threaded application? Can it make use of 2- or 4-core CPUs? The 64- vs. 32-bit question is an interesting one, I think the question of threads and multi-core is the real point in terms of things like speed, keystroke latency, etc.
    Joe

43. Len, I think you are mistaken.
    OV is the only program I have used in the last decade which has this problem.
    There's definitely a problem, but blaming it on the Microsoft operating system is not a good excuse.
    Since this issue only occurs with OptionVue, then the logical conclusion is that the bug lies somewhere inside of OptionVue itself.

44. It is not. You can check "Task Manager" in Windows and you will notice that only one core is used when OV is running.

Multi-core and multi-threading has been requested but nothing so far...

45. I am currently testing ONE vs OV, so I needed to get a better understanding of what OV's plans are for improving the system and fixing problems. So I have just spent a couple of hours going through the requests and Len's responses. Please see the attached spreadsheet.

The bottom line for me is:
    Data entry delays need to be fixed. When I am working with ONE, just this alone makes me want to convert. So I agree with Ron, this problem is unique to OV and thus should be solvable by OV.
    I really like ONE's Unique Trade ID approach, which enables keeping all trades in one account mirroring my TOS account structure.
    Server-side storing of the data, as in ONE. To me it is safer and easier to use especially when switching locations and workstations.
    Better handling of weekly options.
    UI - Many good suggestions, including better Multi-monitor support.
    There is some interesting discussion of technology, but in my opinion it really should not matter as long as the system is fast and efficient (which in some cases it is not)
    Of course any model's modifications must be isolated into a separate option and clearly explained.

46. Hi Len, you asked for suggestions to improve the ui. Here a few ideas, but I am sure that if emphasis is put on thinking about utility and ease of use we can find many more things like this.

And, let me re-stress the delay in typing trades in, or entering account names, or even in closing the program as I mentioned before are critical items that must be fixed in order for OV to continue to be a viable tool for me. I agree with others here that it definitely is not an issue in windows, or TOS since OV is the only program I have also seen in many years that exhibits this behavior. As a former software developer my insight is that it has something to do with Delphi, its database engine, or structures. OV may be taxing Delphi beyond its ability.

Some ideas:
    Make the analyze graph update in real time as quotes come in so it is not static.
    Eliminate the need to click "E", analyze, close it, click "B", analyze and superimpose to see before and after comparisons. Make a button on the matrix that does all that in one click.
    Add intelligence and buttons on the matrix to increase or decrease the lot size of a worked-up butterfly in one click (would increase the lot sizes of each leg at once)
    Add intelligence and buttons on the matrix to reposition all legs of a worked up trade up one strike or down one strike.
    Add context sensitive help for all buttons and controls on all screens as all modern software does. You have some but not all of them.
    Allow user-definable colors on the matrix for fonts, std dev, background, etc.
    Add ribbon-type menu items like Office. For example on the asset page, right-clicking on the asset brings up a simple list of what you can do (DA, DH etc.). Those functions could be on a menu for ease of use.
    Let us resize the analyze graph by dragging left or right as well as with the +/- slider similar to TOS, and to how we already can drag the graph left or right.
    On analyze graph let us have use-definable parameters to turn the greek numbers red or green if they are out of a limit value

these are only the first things that come to mind. Great attention to ease of use and utility should be given in a redesign to imprive the tool.

47. Regarding International options: I would be intererested in DAX and ESTX50 index options as well as FGBL(10y BUND) futures options. Also the equity options on all the DAX companies would be very interesting. Historical Backtrading and real time.
    Since optionvue has full compatibility with esignal it would be great to be able use their extended historical option data package for backtesting if the optionvue backtrader is not capable of.
    Just curious, is there actually a way already today to use historical data of DAX index options to backtrade in optionvue? If yes how does it work?

48. Len,

I had a dream Friday night, in which you and I discussed my use of OV software. In the dream, I told you that I had used ONE and had switched to OV in order to trade John Locke's strategies. At that point in the dream, without my complaining to you about the OV slow keyboard response, you sensed where I was about to go with the discussion, and asked if I would be happy with OV if you provided free access to QuoteVue real-time data until you have the TOS interface problem resolved. My reply in the dream was "absolutely, yes", and that's the last I recall of the dream.

Odd that this subject has invaded my dreams, but what I relayed above is the absolute truth.

Any chance of this happening?

Jim

49. Len,

I think Jim's idea here to give us netvue quotes until you can fix the latency delay problem when getting TOS quotes is a good idea. You are offering OV as able to get quotes from TOS, yet it is practically unusable that way, even with the suggested workarounds.

50. Hello everyone:

Regarding the TOS data interface: As I see it, the only remedy is RTD. I will put it on next month’s schedule to explore RTD and see if we can get it working. We cannot let people have QuoteVue free of charge, unfortunately. The exchanges are very strict on recordkeeping and fees.

Trade ID is a good idea and we’ve been thinking about implementing that very soon.

About the suggestion to make the analyze graph update in real time. Do you realize that the side-by-side version of the analyze graph does this already? Tim, I understand all of your other suggestions, and will add them to my stack. Thank you.

Andrei, you had one comment about “Better handling of weekly options”. Can you elaborate please?

Guwe75, regarding international options, unfortunately our data source does not provide them. And if our servers are not receiving quotes on these, then they cannot accumulate historical data. Nevertheless, I have made note of your request.

FYI, we are performing testing right now on a new version that we hope to release on Friday Feb 12th. It contains portfolio margining, something our customers have been requesting for a long time, as well as several other improvements. The problem with the greeks when switching between E, T and B has been fixed in this release, along with a problem with proper grouping using the R codes.

51. Len, looking forward to the new release with the greek switching fix and portfolio margin support. Thanks for the update.

52. Len,

In December 2014 Karen Rae sent me an email reminding me of the pending price increase and the opportunity to execute a longer-term lease at reduced prices. I responded that the latency problem with TOS was a major concern that made me reluctant to lease OV for a longer time period. In a follow-up email with Ken Dole, after I had implemented all of the workarounds that he suggested to try to fix the problem, I advised him of the well-known problems of using DDE to interface with TOS, and recommended that OV reprogram to use the RTD interface with TOS. His reply was "Thank you for the suggestion on the switch to RTD format. Apparently, that would be a huge programming endeavor for OptionVue7 from what I’ve heard from OV programming."

Then, in your 10/19/1015 OV Education webinar, when the latency problem was brought to your attention (from about 32:30 - 35:00), you essentially laid the blame on TOS and said that they needed to come up with a more modern interface approach, that they had not given you anything you can use to fix the problem, that you weren't even sure of some acronym they mentioned (RTD), that they wouldn't give you specs, that there isn't anything you can do about it, etc. If Ken Dole and your programmers knew enough of RTD in December 2014 to tell me that implementing it would be a huge reprogramming effort, I'm quite skeptical when I hear you say in this webinar that there isn't really anything you can do about the latency problem. Go back and listen to the webinar recording to hear a lot of "artful dodging".

So, now you finally see the light, and agree to put RTD on next month's schedule to "see if you can get it working". That doesn't sound like a very strong commitment to fix the problem. Perhaps there aren't very many people in your user community who use TOS (or IB) for their live data feed, and the reprogramming effort to appease us just isn't worth the cost, in which case those of us who are still with OV a year from now will still be struggling with latency problems.

And, I suspect that you really could let people use QuoteVue free of charge, except perhaps for exchange fees. Wouldn't the OV7 Real-Time Subscription, discounted to a monthly price of $99, accomplish this?

53. Great .... Looking forward to Friday's release. :)

54. The new release will be this week sometime. We were still working on the portfolio margining and a couple of problems in other areas. Now we need a few days for further testing.

55. @Len Yates, what is your thinking on improving the UX of OptionVue? It is, after all, the highest voted feature in this poll.
    Here is an example of Office 2016 using the newly released black skin. I would personally love a dark skin with the much time I spend using analysis software.
    OptionVue Interface Request.PNG
    There is a reason TWS, ToS, Bloomberg, LiveVol, etc. all come standard with a dark skin. Please give us one for OptionVue as well.

56. That's helpful. I plan on looking into using a ribbon style menu in the next few weeks. When I do, I'll start with those two websites. :D

57. Looking forward to you sharing with us some mockup shots for feedback and guidance ;-)

58. Is everyone happy with the latest upgrade of OV?, I heard there may be issues, but as its not been mentioned in CD, it may not be that serious

59. Yes - updating the buttons would be helpful. Plus it would be great to see some of them much smaller.

upload_2016-2-23_8-34-25.png

60. Agree. Hopefully Len will share some mockups with the community before implementing anything. There is so much that can be done to improve usability ;-)

Looking forward!

61. Tim,
    I have started to consolidate and prioritize all the suggestions we have received. In the process, I realized that a couple of the suggestions you made have already been implemented in the software. For instance, "Allowing user-definable colors on the matrix for fonts, std dev, background, etc." A portion of this is already done. You can select your own colors for the std dev shading by going into File | Preferences | Colors. And "Adding intelligence and buttons on the matrix to increase or decrease the lot size of a worked-up butterfly." There is already something in the software to do this. I'm not sure I can describe it completely here, but I will demonstrate (or have someone else here demonstrate it) the next time we speak on Capital Discussions. And finally, about re-sizing the analyze graph, that is already there. (I assume you're talking about zooming in or zooming out.) To zoom in, have the mouse over the horizontal axis and drag to the right. To zoom out, drag to the left. And of course, to shift the whole graph left or right, just "grasp" it anyplace in the main graph area and drag it. :)

62. @Len Yates, here is one more - looks even better than the above and will also allow to implement different themes/skins such as Office 2016. A black one is a must have.

https://www.devexpress.com/products/net/controls/winforms/

The above link provide some REALLY NICE controls. OptionVue is going to look great ;-)

63. Thanks for the explanations Len. Any thoughts about eliminating the typing delay in OV when using TOS quotes? That is the single biggest item, by FAR, for me with OV.

64. I'll add to the comment in regards to typing delay in ToS, at times it can take up to 15 - 30 seconds on my platform.

65. From my perspective, there are 2 distinct competitive advantages to OV in the marketplace:
    (1) Modeling
    (2) Back Trader

The majority of all efforts should be focused on making these two aspects the industry best. I believe we may have healed the near mortal wound regarding the modeling snafu last fall. However, the BackTrader feature especially when it comes to the SPX is woefully unacceptable. From missing data, to incredibly slow processing times to corrupt archive data and an "offline" feature that still pings the servers in NYC - there are more than enough issues to work out before moving on to "nice to have" features.

Having said that, it is no secret that John Locke students, SMB Options and Cap D followers surely represent over 50% of the installed customer base. In addition, in my view, this is where most of the OV customer growth will come from as well. As John and others begin to put increasingly more focus on deep and exhaustive backtesting, then it stands to reason this is where OV's priorities should lay. Rigorous backtesting is the backbone any professional trader who seeks long-term success. As they say with any traditional business, "nothing happens without a sale." For trading, "nothing (should) happen without first backtesting". This is absolutely paramount.

Finally, the longer it takes to perform an SPX backtesting project in OV the more folks will simply move over to ONE and decrease their dependence on OV in every way including the modeling (product advantage). These two items are actually symbiotic.

66. Well said and totally agree. Usability needs to be improved with a similar priority though.

I recently watched a WebEx where a seasoned coach was totally surprised about features in OV that he never knew about because they were buried deep in the settings. This should not happen - OV has a lot of great functionality but the software is slow and hard to use.

I am confident that Len is totally committed to addressing these points and am sticking with OV for now. ONE is fast but their modeling is still off at times (from what I hear).

67. Agree. OV has many great and unique features that were either hidden/badly marketed or not fully functional. Now Len is starting to fix some of them.

Besides having better IV modeling than ONE, there are some OV features that I can't do without in my daily trading. For example - the R code. That allows me to slice and dice my trade both in real time mode and in back testing. That's tremendously useful to understand the anatomy of a strategy and help decide which adjustment I should take. That started off as a nice to have feature but after analyzing my trade that way for a while, it has become a must have for me.

Another feature I rely on for my fire drill is the data export function. That's not available in ONE. With TOS, I could only download live data but not historical. With OV, I can export previous day option data into Excel to analyze as part of pre-market prep. To me, that's a huge value.

I do hope OV will continue to chip away the remaining issues continuously. As long as there are improvements in every upgrade, I'm happy. :)

68. Len,
    Can you enable drawing vertical lines in the analyze graph (draw, edit, move, delete)? It could be a vertical line or a marker along the 0 line.
    I want the lines to stay until I remove them. It helps to see technical levels of interest when planning adjustments.

69. Hello everyone,
    :oops: The new calendar button in the BackTrader window has problems. To be blunt, it is unusable. If you use it to set the starting date when opening OptionVue, there is a problem, behind the scenes, where the program is using a different time than the one being displayed in the BackTrader window, and can even refer to the following date when using the program late in the day. If you use the calendar button to change the date after you have B.T. open, the program doesn’t even respond by changing to that date.
    I have fixed the problems for the next release. Sorry to have rushed this improvement out with insufficient testing. For now, stay away from the new calendar button.

Please don't blame OptionVue for "hiding" nifty new features. Please read the release notes that come with every release. ;) And many of our online tutorials demonstrate these features. We will make it a point to review many of these in each and every Capital Discussions presentation. Please attend. There weren't very many people attending my most recent one. Our rep Jeff Plimpton is giving a talk in March. I have asked him to cover a few things I forgot to mention in my latest talk.

Regarding the typing delay when using ToS for quotes. Up to 15 - 30 seconds. Whoa! I had no idea this is what you were dealing with. That is bizarre. We don't see anything like that here in-house. I just had a talk with Ken (here in OptionVue) and he told me that only certain customers seem to have this problem. He said it is exacerbated by having a matrix with a large number of symbols. He also said that closing and re-opening both OpVue and ToS can clear up the problem for a time. Meanwhile, as I said in my talk, we're going to be looking into RTD soon, a different approach to interfacing with ToS. No promises that it will be successful, however.

This will probably always be true. The interfaces with IB and ToS will be problematic due to design limitations on their side. To see OptionVue working sharp, the way it was designed to work, get QuoteVue.

70. Len,
    First, I appreciate the frequent communication.

Today, when I opened ov it said there was an upgrade to 7.86. When I clicked on the link for the release notes it shows 7.84. So I don't see notes for 7.85 (my current release) and this new release.

And I could not attend your last presentation live but I do watch the recordings. So please keep doing these.

71. Re TOS:
    All the traders I know in CD who use TOS have the problem, not just a few. Also I only have 5 symbols on the matrix and have constant delays. Closing and reopening the applications does not change a thing and is a very very inconvenient solution for the customers you are trying to "keep".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

72. Len,
    I am not sure if it is only related to newly released 7.86 but in Back-Trader mode, after changing the date Ex.Pos Included resets to All.
    If you want to see only one component, you have to manually select it again after each change of date.
    I do not remember this was the case prior to upgrade to 7.86

73. Bryan: I have seen this on one or two occasions myself. The solution is to click on the browser's Refresh icon. For some reason the browser doesn't automatically go out and get the fresh webpage sometimes.
    Meyer99: I spoke with Jim Graham (here in OptionVue) and he concurs that there are many with this problem. We are going to dig in and see if we can learn anything. He and I both will run OpVue all day Monday using TOS quotes and see if the problem ever happens for us. (I have never left it running with TOS for very long.)
    SVL: Hmm. Didn't realize that. Will check into this. My only question would be this: Would any customers WANT the Ex.Pos Included to be reset to ALL upon date changes? I would think, in general, customers would NOT want it to be reset, but are there any who would? (If so, we could tie it in with the new checkbox "Always reset to ALL when changing accounts")

74. Len,
    Thank you for interacting with us. I am happy to see that the keyboard delay issue is being taken seriously.

Please stop pointing the finger at TOS and IB. Multiple replies in this thread made it clear that TOS and IB are not the problem. Your competition has access to the same TOS and IB APIs OV does and your competition does not have the keyboard delay at all. Accept that the issue is with OV.

A great way to duplicate the issue is to bring up an Analyze graph, put the cursor in the Max Proj Date, delete the current date and then hold down any key. You may not see anything abnormal immediately but after OV has been running for a bit, you will see keystroke pauses while holding down a key. As time passes, the pauses get longer and longer in duration. Everyone I know that uses TOS quotes with OV has the delay to some degree. Ken worked with me months ago and his suggestions reduced the severity of the issue enough to make OV usable but the delay is still there and annoying.

If this single issue is resolved, the probability of renewing my subscription later this year will increase dramatically.

75. This will probably always be true. The interfaces with IB and ToS will be problematic due to design limitations on their side. To see OptionVue working sharp, the way it was designed to work, get QuoteVue.[/QUOTE]

Len,
    So from your statement above we are to take it that OV was only designed to work with QuoteVue and no other quote provider, hence, the reason for the issues with IB & TOS. Hence, the problems, so not a TOS or IB issue.:rolleyes:

76. Len, thank you for keeping the line of communication open. I want to bring up one thing that's rarely talked about directly, but is always in the background. It's quality control. I don't mean beta testers, or manually poking around before the release to see that it "seems to work". I mean two things: 1) regression tests with significant code coverage, preferably as an automated part of the build process that runs on every check-in; and 2) a development culture where any new development or a bug fix start with encoding the spec or reproducing the bug as a suite of tests, to ensure the feature cannot stray from the spec or the bug reappear without setting off an alarm. I know from the symptoms I'm seeing that these are not in place in OV. I rate this as the most important issue. OV is a highly specialized professional tool, and it's a fact of life that most such tools have horrible usability, don't look very sexy, and yet are praised by power users for their functionality despite the quirks and the steep learning curve. Yet lack of reliability and stability is one thing that will have those users grumble and jump ship at the first real chance they get.

77. Definitely not. I made the mistake of updating OV not knowing about this issue. I was planning to do a large amount of backtesting today and now having to reset the "Ex-Pos Included" to the current trade after each date change is making the process even more excruciating!:mad:

78. Len,

No, should not automatically reset. Just like our conversation regarding how P&L should be accounted for relative to the selected trades - the software should just take whatever user has chosen and should not automatically exclude or include anything else.

79. Len, I watch the webinars by you and your colleagues at OV quite faithfully. I cannot attend live, but am an avid viewer after the fact. So please know that I appreciate your webinars *very* much, even if I am not counted among the live attendees. I can imagine that many others also use the webinars in this way. If you are interested in total number of viewers, perhaps there are viewer statistics on YouTube that are available to Tom N. that you could be provided with.

Joe

80. Just a few recent statistics for the views of the OptionVue Education recordings:

22 Feb 2016 - 40 on the member's site, 88 on YouTube
    1 Feb 2016 - 33 on the member's site, 15 on YouTube
    21 Dec 2015 - 23 on the member's site, 87 on YouTube
    16 Nov 2015 - 33 on the member's site, 20 on YouTube
    21 Sep 2015 - 33 on the member's site, 108 on YouTube

81. Tom, Thank you for the stats. Very interesting. Up to 4x as many people are watching on YouTube. I am sure this reflects our work schedules.

Thank you for putting these on YouTube. I hope Len is encouraged by the high number of viewers.
    Joe

82. Hi Len,
    Without being a programmer, would it be possible with a RTD to access complete historical and streaming real time data of the optionvue database with Excel?
    Something like Livevol Excel
    http://www.livevol.com/options-history-realtime-excel

83. With yesterday’s release of 7.87, several known problems were solved. It has been quiet today, so I trust that users are happy with this version.

A few words about the TOS quotes interface: I ran OV all day yesterday with TOS quotes on my older, slower workstation, and while interacting with it, this is what I observed: The first character typed into a Matrix would be lost about 25% of the time. If the first character was accepted, then all subsequent keystrokes were also accepted. This is consistent with what I’ve seen before. (However, on my faster computer it is very difficult to make the problem happen.) We have never seen the other problem – where a keystroke can appear several seconds later. This is not to deny that it happens. Only that we have never seen it ourselves, here at OptionVue. It is anybody’s guess why some computers have the keystroke delay problem and others do not. And Scott Slivnik, I tried what you said about using the Max Proj Date in Analyze. I could not make any problem happen that way. One more thing, once during the day, quotes simply stopped streaming into OV and I had to restart OV to get them working again.

I once delved deeply into the code to find out how keystrokes could possibly be lost while the DDE interface was in use, and found that the root of the problem was “out of my reach”. That is, whatever was causing it was buried in the low-level Delphi code or Windows code. I spent many hours on this to no avail. Without question, the only way out of the present difficulties is to get RTD working. I will be taking my first look at RTD this month. Let’s hope that it works.

A few words about the IB quotes interface: IB recently made a change to their interface and OptionVue no longer works correctly with it. But if you use Trader Workstation version 9.52 or earlier, you are fine. IB’s engineering department has (effectively) no communications with its partners, so this caught us by surprise, as have all the changes they have ever made. I have interfaced with about 15 different data providers over the years, and IB is easily the worst. I won’t go into details, but believe me, it was crazy difficult to make this interface work, and there are always difficulties associated with keeping it working. (TOS’s DDE interface is the 2nd worst.)

Since I am the one who has programmed to these interfaces, as well as more than a dozen others in my career, I have the right to speak about them, and I am highly competent in this area.

Vega4mike: OV was designed to work with QuoteVue, yes. It was also designed to work with IB and TOS. Our aim is (and always has been) to make the program work as well as possible with all three. As a matter of fact, more work has gone into the IB and TOS interfaces than the QuoteVue interface. The QuoteVue interface was easy because we are in control of the other side!

Capt Hobbes: I hear what you’re saying, and I’m familiar with the process of building sets of regression tests from my years at IBM. We definitely need to take steps in that direction. 7.86 was rather embarrassing for us, and it was my own fault. So yes, you’re right.

Rick: With this week’s release, you should see that the “Ex-Pos Included” does not reset to ALL upon date changes.

Thanks Joe.

Guwe75: I really have no idea what interfaces are possible with RTD. I’ll take a look at Livevol again sometime soon and get a feel for what you’re talking about.

BTW, Jeff Plimpton (customer support rep at OptionVue) will give a presentation to Capital Discussions sometime this month. I have asked him to demonstrate several more of the "hidden" features of OV (among other topics), so watch for that!

Thanks everyone! :D

84. Len sadly this is not the case for me. I have a campaign with two expirations open and every advance in backtrader goes back to "All" instead of the R selection previously used.
    The calendar works well so thanks for that. I'm about to call OV and mention the “Ex-Pos Included” issue.

thanks,
    Rick

85. The cause of the issue being buried in the low-level code makes sense. I have had libraries cause issues in the past as well. Have you considered creating a background process in another language that handles the 3rd party quote feeds (in the case RTD does not solve the issue)?

I have a beefed up iMac. When I boot directly into Windows, the keyboard issue is present, however, the delay is so brief that one likely would not notice unless they were looking for the issue. I normally run OV on Mac OS X using Parallels Desktop which hinders the performance of Windows and increases the severity of the OV issues. Having said that, my opinion is a high-end computer should not be required to obtain a smooth OV experience while using a 3rd party data feed. I am not implying an old computer should suffice, however, a computer with the recommended specifications to run TOS should be able to run OV perfectly fine.

I have never seen keystrokes appear seconds later. I have only witnessed keystrokes not registering.

86. It looks like I forgot to mention something in the release notes. There is a setting you can change. It is in File | Preferences, in the Portfolio Manager area. Uncheck the box highlighted below. Then the R Code Selector will not get reset when you change dates NOR when you change accounts.

upload_2016-3-1_16-59-28.png

87. Len: the above works until I make a trade, open the TLog, and enter the assigned character into the R Column for the new trade. Then upon closing the TLog the "Ex-Pos Included" reverts back to "ALL".

Rick

88. I'm using IB. Sadly, this is the procedure I have to do very often during the day. (Just look at my NetVue logins on your server.) Quotes stall all the time.

89. Rick: If you have unchecked the checkbox I wrote about, then manual changes in the T.Log should not cause the R-code selector to revert to ALL. However, doing a Convert Trades will. I was thinking that Convert Trades should always reset the selector to ALL, so that's the way I programmed it. Would be open to changing this, however, if there is a consensus.

uwe: During some in-house testing, we recently ran OV all day with IB and never saw it quit like that. I'm not being dismissive; I'm just telling you we didn't see it. How modern is your PC? Ours are about 1 year old. If it is fairly current, please tell me what kind it is, and the OS.

90. Len,

The new release looks good so far. Haven't seen any big issue. Thanx for fixing the problems.

I think TOS RTD is a good idea. But this change will affect many of us if connection to TOS becomes an issue. I suggest you run through beta testing before releasing it. I'm sure many in this forum will volunteer as beta testers, including me. Just let us know when you need help.

Kevin

91. I'm using a beefy Macbook Pro and run TWS and OV in a VirtualBox VM. I still have Windows XP installed. I'm about to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 10. So we can soon rule out that ancient OS.

It is really frustrating. I mainly use RUT, SPX and ES. The more symbols there are, the more likely it stalls. Sometimes as quick as a few seconds after opening the matrix.

92. @uwe, your virtual environment is very likely why you are having issues - at least big ones. VirtualBox is slow as hell and there can be so many reasons why you are seeing these delays.

On behalf of Len, I'm afraid that other users who complain about TOS keyboard delays are also running OV within a virtual environment. Before complaining about slow performance and having Len spend valuable time on looking into issues potentially caused by virtualization/too few resources, I think it's important that every user state what hardware they are using. I know quite a few are, unfortunately, using a virtual environment. With streaming quotes that is not ideal.

While there's nothing wrong with a virtual environment in itself, one should only do so if enough system resources are dedicated to it and that the hardware is top notch. I would personally not do it unless I could dedicate at least four cores and 8 GB of RAM to the virtual environment. Most people don't even have 8 GB of RAM in their Mac so being able to dedicate that to a virtual environment is not for everyone.

Personally, I am on a Surface Book with 16 GB of RAM and the latest version of Windows 10 x64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93. Len: Assume I am back-testing a strategy for a year and I want to place all the 12 expiration cycles traded in one account as you recently discussed here at CD. I am assigning a unique R code to each expiration's trades and often more than one expiration will be open.
    As I progress day by day within a given expiration and make adjustments, I want the Ex-Pos Included to remain as previously selected to that expiration cycle. I don't want to manually have to return it to the intended selection after each adjustment.

Hope this makes sense.

94. I now installed a trial version of Parallels Desktop and Windows 7 Pro SP1. I gave my VM 8 GB of RAM and 4 cores (half of what my Macbook has). I hope that is more than enough for just TWS and OV.

But still, quotes stalled (stopped changing) when using a big matrix (SPX).

95. Strange... Sorry to hear that it didn't help a lot. It could be interesting if you try to install Boot Camp to run windows in parallel to Mac OS. That way it is similar to running it on the standalone PC. Is easy to remove the windows partition afterwards.

96. On behalf of users who have the OV delay problem using a TOS data feed, I have had TOS delay issues with OV from day 1 (Aug 2014), and I am not running OV in a virtual environment, or on a slow computer with limited RAM, or with a lot of symbols. My computer is an HP PC with an Intel 4-core 3.40 GHz x64 CPU running Windows 10 (Windows 7 previously), with 16 GB of RAM and an SSD hard drive. Following guidelines from OV support, I have only 3 symbols in the OV quotes display, and have limited the strike ranges, strike intervals, and number of expirations to the absolute bare minimum. I believe Len knows by now, or should know, that it is not an issue of too few computer resources, it is the outmoded DDE interface used to get data from TOS. As has been mentioned in at least one previous post, ONE has no delay problem retrieving data from TOS on the same hardware platform that OV is gagging on.

97. Well, then it definitely must be OV that there is something wrong with :-( Luckily Len will look into it soon.

98. When I was in contact with OV late last year regarding the performance issues, they insisted that I obtain a VPS (virtual private server) to resolve the issues. A VPS is a virtual machine running on a server. In short, OV support is promoting the use of virtualized environments.

It is true that many people do not have the computer resources to run both a host and guest OS however. In my case, my local VM running via Parallels Desktop with access to 4 cores and 8GB of RAM provides more horsepower than most remote VPS solutions out there.

I recommend avoiding VirtualBox as well.