PLEASE VOTE: OptionVue Feature Request Poll

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by TheSpeculator152, Jan 17, 2016.

?

Which improvements would you like to to see in OptionVue to improve performance and usability?

1. Multi-core & multi-threadding support // faster performance

64.4%
  2. 64-bit support (4GB+ RAM Support)

54.2%
  3. Multi-monitor support // floating windows

52.5%
  4. Proper cloud storage of back-test data for near instant loading // use global CDN for faster load

67.8%
  5. 5-minute intraday data

39.0%
  6. Improved UI // UX (user interface and user experience)

74.6%
  7. International options exchange data

16.9%
  8. None of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Just a few recent statistics for the views of the OptionVue Education recordings:

22 Feb 2016 - 40 on the member's site, 88 on YouTube
    1 Feb 2016 - 33 on the member's site, 15 on YouTube
    21 Dec 2015 - 23 on the member's site, 87 on YouTube
    16 Nov 2015 - 33 on the member's site, 20 on YouTube
    21 Sep 2015 - 33 on the member's site, 108 on YouTube

2. Joe A

Joe A Active Member

Tom, Thank you for the stats. Very interesting. Up to 4x as many people are watching on YouTube. I am sure this reflects our work schedules.

Thank you for putting these on YouTube. I hope Len is encouraged by the high number of viewers.
    Joe

3. guwe75

guwe75 Active Member

Hi Len,
    Without being a programmer, would it be possible with a RTD to access complete historical and streaming real time data of the optionvue database with Excel?
    Something like Livevol Excel
    http://www.livevol.com/options-history-realtime-excel

4. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

With yesterday’s release of 7.87, several known problems were solved. It has been quiet today, so I trust that users are happy with this version.

A few words about the TOS quotes interface: I ran OV all day yesterday with TOS quotes on my older, slower workstation, and while interacting with it, this is what I observed: The first character typed into a Matrix would be lost about 25% of the time. If the first character was accepted, then all subsequent keystrokes were also accepted. This is consistent with what I’ve seen before. (However, on my faster computer it is very difficult to make the problem happen.) We have never seen the other problem – where a keystroke can appear several seconds later. This is not to deny that it happens. Only that we have never seen it ourselves, here at OptionVue. It is anybody’s guess why some computers have the keystroke delay problem and others do not. And Scott Slivnik, I tried what you said about using the Max Proj Date in Analyze. I could not make any problem happen that way. One more thing, once during the day, quotes simply stopped streaming into OV and I had to restart OV to get them working again.

I once delved deeply into the code to find out how keystrokes could possibly be lost while the DDE interface was in use, and found that the root of the problem was “out of my reach”. That is, whatever was causing it was buried in the low-level Delphi code or Windows code. I spent many hours on this to no avail. Without question, the only way out of the present difficulties is to get RTD working. I will be taking my first look at RTD this month. Let’s hope that it works.

A few words about the IB quotes interface: IB recently made a change to their interface and OptionVue no longer works correctly with it. But if you use Trader Workstation version 9.52 or earlier, you are fine. IB’s engineering department has (effectively) no communications with its partners, so this caught us by surprise, as have all the changes they have ever made. I have interfaced with about 15 different data providers over the years, and IB is easily the worst. I won’t go into details, but believe me, it was crazy difficult to make this interface work, and there are always difficulties associated with keeping it working. (TOS’s DDE interface is the 2nd worst.)

Since I am the one who has programmed to these interfaces, as well as more than a dozen others in my career, I have the right to speak about them, and I am highly competent in this area.

Vega4mike: OV was designed to work with QuoteVue, yes. It was also designed to work with IB and TOS. Our aim is (and always has been) to make the program work as well as possible with all three. As a matter of fact, more work has gone into the IB and TOS interfaces than the QuoteVue interface. The QuoteVue interface was easy because we are in control of the other side!

Capt Hobbes: I hear what you’re saying, and I’m familiar with the process of building sets of regression tests from my years at IBM. We definitely need to take steps in that direction. 7.86 was rather embarrassing for us, and it was my own fault. So yes, you’re right.

Rick: With this week’s release, you should see that the “Ex-Pos Included” does not reset to ALL upon date changes.

Thanks Joe.

Guwe75: I really have no idea what interfaces are possible with RTD. I’ll take a look at Livevol again sometime soon and get a feel for what you’re talking about.

BTW, Jeff Plimpton (customer support rep at OptionVue) will give a presentation to Capital Discussions sometime this month. I have asked him to demonstrate several more of the "hidden" features of OV (among other topics), so watch for that!

Thanks everyone! :D

5. Rick

Rick Active Member

Len sadly this is not the case for me. I have a campaign with two expirations open and every advance in backtrader goes back to "All" instead of the R selection previously used.
    The calendar works well so thanks for that. I'm about to call OV and mention the “Ex-Pos Included” issue.

thanks,
    Rick

6. Scott Slivnik

Scott Slivnik Well-Known Member

The cause of the issue being buried in the low-level code makes sense. I have had libraries cause issues in the past as well. Have you considered creating a background process in another language that handles the 3rd party quote feeds (in the case RTD does not solve the issue)?

I have a beefed up iMac. When I boot directly into Windows, the keyboard issue is present, however, the delay is so brief that one likely would not notice unless they were looking for the issue. I normally run OV on Mac OS X using Parallels Desktop which hinders the performance of Windows and increases the severity of the OV issues. Having said that, my opinion is a high-end computer should not be required to obtain a smooth OV experience while using a 3rd party data feed. I am not implying an old computer should suffice, however, a computer with the recommended specifications to run TOS should be able to run OV perfectly fine.

I have never seen keystrokes appear seconds later. I have only witnessed keystrokes not registering.

7. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

It looks like I forgot to mention something in the release notes. There is a setting you can change. It is in File | Preferences, in the Portfolio Manager area. Uncheck the box highlighted below. Then the R Code Selector will not get reset when you change dates NOR when you change accounts.

upload_2016-3-1_16-59-28.png

8. Rick

Rick Active Member

Len: the above works until I make a trade, open the TLog, and enter the assigned character into the R Column for the new trade. Then upon closing the TLog the "Ex-Pos Included" reverts back to "ALL".

Rick

9. TheSpeculator152

TheSpeculator152 Well-Known Member

10. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

I'm using IB. Sadly, this is the procedure I have to do very often during the day. (Just look at my NetVue logins on your server.) Quotes stall all the time.

11. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

Rick: If you have unchecked the checkbox I wrote about, then manual changes in the T.Log should not cause the R-code selector to revert to ALL. However, doing a Convert Trades will. I was thinking that Convert Trades should always reset the selector to ALL, so that's the way I programmed it. Would be open to changing this, however, if there is a consensus.

uwe: During some in-house testing, we recently ran OV all day with IB and never saw it quit like that. I'm not being dismissive; I'm just telling you we didn't see it. How modern is your PC? Ours are about 1 year old. If it is fairly current, please tell me what kind it is, and the OS.

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

Len,

The new release looks good so far. Haven't seen any big issue. Thanx for fixing the problems.

I think TOS RTD is a good idea. But this change will affect many of us if connection to TOS becomes an issue. I suggest you run through beta testing before releasing it. I'm sure many in this forum will volunteer as beta testers, including me. Just let us know when you need help.

Kevin

13. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

I'm using a beefy Macbook Pro and run TWS and OV in a VirtualBox VM. I still have Windows XP installed. I'm about to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 10. So we can soon rule out that ancient OS.

It is really frustrating. I mainly use RUT, SPX and ES. The more symbols there are, the more likely it stalls. Sometimes as quick as a few seconds after opening the matrix.

14. TheSpeculator152

@uwe, your virtual environment is very likely why you are having issues - at least big ones. VirtualBox is slow as hell and there can be so many reasons why you are seeing these delays.

On behalf of Len, I'm afraid that other users who complain about TOS keyboard delays are also running OV within a virtual environment. Before complaining about slow performance and having Len spend valuable time on looking into issues potentially caused by virtualization/too few resources, I think it's important that every user state what hardware they are using. I know quite a few are, unfortunately, using a virtual environment. With streaming quotes that is not ideal.

While there's nothing wrong with a virtual environment in itself, one should only do so if enough system resources are dedicated to it and that the hardware is top notch. I would personally not do it unless I could dedicate at least four cores and 8 GB of RAM to the virtual environment. Most people don't even have 8 GB of RAM in their Mac so being able to dedicate that to a virtual environment is not for everyone.

Personally, I am on a Surface Book with 16 GB of RAM and the latest version of Windows 10 x64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Rick

Rick Active Member

Len: Assume I am back-testing a strategy for a year and I want to place all the 12 expiration cycles traded in one account as you recently discussed here at CD. I am assigning a unique R code to each expiration's trades and often more than one expiration will be open.
    As I progress day by day within a given expiration and make adjustments, I want the Ex-Pos Included to remain as previously selected to that expiration cycle. I don't want to manually have to return it to the intended selection after each adjustment.

Hope this makes sense.

16. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

I now installed a trial version of Parallels Desktop and Windows 7 Pro SP1. I gave my VM 8 GB of RAM and 4 cores (half of what my Macbook has). I hope that is more than enough for just TWS and OV.

But still, quotes stalled (stopped changing) when using a big matrix (SPX).

17. TheSpeculator152

Strange... Sorry to hear that it didn't help a lot. It could be interesting if you try to install Boot Camp to run windows in parallel to Mac OS. That way it is similar to running it on the standalone PC. Is easy to remove the windows partition afterwards.

18. Jim Clements

Jim Clements Active Member

On behalf of users who have the OV delay problem using a TOS data feed, I have had TOS delay issues with OV from day 1 (Aug 2014), and I am not running OV in a virtual environment, or on a slow computer with limited RAM, or with a lot of symbols. My computer is an HP PC with an Intel 4-core 3.40 GHz x64 CPU running Windows 10 (Windows 7 previously), with 16 GB of RAM and an SSD hard drive. Following guidelines from OV support, I have only 3 symbols in the OV quotes display, and have limited the strike ranges, strike intervals, and number of expirations to the absolute bare minimum. I believe Len knows by now, or should know, that it is not an issue of too few computer resources, it is the outmoded DDE interface used to get data from TOS. As has been mentioned in at least one previous post, ONE has no delay problem retrieving data from TOS on the same hardware platform that OV is gagging on.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    GreenZone and Scott Slivnik like this.
  19. TheSpeculator152

Well, then it definitely must be OV that there is something wrong with :-( Luckily Len will look into it soon.

20. Scott Slivnik

Scott Slivnik Well-Known Member

When I was in contact with OV late last year regarding the performance issues, they insisted that I obtain a VPS (virtual private server) to resolve the issues. A VPS is a virtual machine running on a server. In short, OV support is promoting the use of virtualized environments.

It is true that many people do not have the computer resources to run both a host and guest OS however. In my case, my local VM running via Parallels Desktop with access to 4 cores and 8GB of RAM provides more horsepower than most remote VPS solutions out there.

I recommend avoiding VirtualBox as well.