Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P/L Tracking RTT without Option Vue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NoMoWork, Jan 21, 2017.

1. NoMoWork

NoMoWork Member

I use the RTT alert service with the TOS platform. I've noticed that once I apply Dan's RH on the Feb 28 trade that TOS no longer tracks my true profit on the ttade. I use an Excel Spreadsheet to pull the data from TOS for the basic trade, but am not sure how I can keep track on the ongoing P/L with the various trade adjustments. Wondered what others in this situation are doing to compensate for TOS's lacking in this area.

Rick T likes this.
  2. Andrew C

Andrew C Well-Known Member

I trade the RTT in TOS. All you need to do is use the simulated trades in the analyze tab. Enter the original trade and then any adjustments as simulations. Lock in the price for each, You can even save the trade and retrieve it as needed.

3. NoMoWork

NoMoWork Member

I've been trying this our in TOS, but the only number I can see to track is the Open P/L on the Analysis Tab. Is this what you are using?

4. Andrew C

I will try to be clearer....
    1. Gp tp tjhe Analyze tab
    2. Select "Hide Positions" instead of "Show All"....this means that only "simulations will be shown"
    3. Enter all of your trades for a particular expiration as simulated trades....make sure that the debit or credit is locked on the execution price
    4. Make sure that all the trades are checked on the left
    This will allow you to see the greeks as well as the p/l for that position.

If you are running multiple expirations things can get cluttered. In order to keep things manageable you can export a particular expiration and import it as needed. You can do this by going to the "gizmo" all the way to the right of the screen on the Positions and Simulated Trades line. Click on it....this is where the export and import feature is located. Say you have the 17 Feb 17 SPX trade...you can export all of these to a file, name it, and then import it when you need to.

Hope that this helps.

5. NoMoWork

NoMoWork Member

Cool! Thanks Andrew :)

6. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something the P/L for the Simulated Trade is the model price, not the actual market price. If true it's not really useful for tracking real positions held outside of ToS.

7. Andrew C

Lock the price in at what you executed at. The p/l calculates by comparing that execution price to the current market.

8. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

I had done that already. The P/L figure was very high compare with reality.
    I found that the Volatility Calculation Mode in Settings was set to Volatility Smile Approximation so I changed it to Individual Implied Volatility and then the P/L agreed very closely with the real mid price.

I just compared the Greeks for my BWB between ToS and IB and they agree almost exactly after changing the calculation.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  9. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

NoMoWork:
    I export the account statements from TOS, then process externally by account. -- Provides a consistent view of the info I'm interested in. -- I add as I find the need.