Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OV 7.86

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by Kevin Lee, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

There's a new OV upgrade v7.86. Noticed a few UI enhancement which were talked about recently. Very useful. Let me highlight some.

1. Select before import. You can now select a continuous block by Shift-Click or select individual item by CTRL-Click just like windows. This is very useful for importing files that contain transactions belonging to different strategies.

upload_2016-2-26_2-12-48.png

2. There is a pop up calendar for back trader now

upload_2016-2-26_2-16-13.png

3. Various P&L recording issues related to using R codes seems to have been fixed. This is a critical issue for me as I use R codes to segregate and track individual parts of a trade. Before this version, there were situations where the P&L wasn't calculated correctly when combining different R codes. Now it seems to work. But I've only tested the straight forward ones. I need to test the more complicated scenarios.

4. The File Export file name now includes a date suffix. But I think this one is implemented wrongly. I've asked for date and time suffix. Now it's only date. In addition, it uses today's date instead of back trader date. It should use back trader date so that it can automatically capture the date time of the data set. Currently, whenever you export, it will over write the previous file unless you change the file name every time you export.

Once this issue is corrected, there is a fantastic feature which will become usable. With OV we can schedule automatic download. With this, we can download and analyze live data of regular intervals of the day before. That's great value to me as it will help me prepare for the next day's trade. Currently this is not usable because the export file will keep over writing itself. The end result is just one file containing the latest export.

upload_2016-2-26_2-27-11.png

2. Kevin Lee

Oh No... The import function is broken in this version. The symbols field is filled wrongly. So the imported transactions won't show up. I already reported to Len. He said he'll put out a fix on Mon or Tue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Len's reply

Arrrrgghhh. I can’t believe I didn’t catch that.

Yeah, we need to fix these things and put out a quick release. Monday or Tuesday.

Len

3. Bryan Doyle

Bryan Doyle Well-Known Member

Len, do you have beta testers? There might be some interested folks here who would volunteer and could help with over QA.

TheSpeculator152 likes this.
  4. Joe A

Joe A Active Member

Kevin,

I wonder if you have been able to use Backtrader in off-line mode in 7.86. I have been using it quite well in 7.85 with RUT. I upgraded to 7.86 and now get no prices in off-line mode. (I do get Backtrader prices correctly in 7.86 when I go back to online mode.) Interestingly, I get Deltas in 7.86, but no prices! I know I have all the correct RUT historical files downloaded, as it all worked fine in 7.85. See attached image of Deltas, but no prices in 7.86.
    2016-02-27_12-38-36.png

5. Rick

Rick Active Member

Guys be aware of another problem now with using BackTrader because it resets the "Ex-Pos Included" to "ALL" from your previous selection after each date change.
    See the "please-vote-optionvue-feature-request-poll" thread. Len Yates was made aware of this.

6. Kevin Lee

Hi Joe

I'm sorry I have never used OV in offline mode. What's the benefit of offline ?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  7. Joe A

Joe A Active Member

Kevin,
    Even with all historical data files downloaded, I found using Backtrader in an on-line mode very inconsistent. When switching dates in Backtrader, the amount of time required for a data update was 2-20 seconds. When I go into off-line mode, the update time between dates is very consistent at 2-3 seconds. So it is a much better experience for me when doing a lot of back-testing.

I am not sure why this inconsistency in on-line mode is present. You would think that there is no communication at all with the server, since all historical data is present on my hard drive. Nevertheless, I do experience these long update times in online mode. By moving to off-line mode, the 2-3 seconds is quite consistent and pleasant.
    Joe

Kevin Lee likes this.
  8. Joe A

Joe A Active Member

Just to close the loop on the off-line usage, I just downloaded version 7.87 and the off-line capability is working fine again. It is back to a consistent 2-3 second interval between updates in Backtrader using downloaded files. Very nice.

Joe

9. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for correcting the incorrect P&L of positions? There were several suggestions that have been tossed around, but they don't appear to be working for me.

-Go to reports and close out (not working)
    -Go back/forward in time a few days (not working)

One thing that may be the source; for accounts with existing trades that have several different component trades (different R codes), the P&L for each component (each R code) appears to be correct, but the P&L is way off when you look at all trades together.

10. Kevin Lee

The P&L problem related to different R codes should have been resolved in the latest version. I used to have this issue when having many R codes. With the latest version, my P&L looks fine. Suggest you contact OV tech support and give them your T-log to test.

11. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

Thanks Kevin. I never upgraded to 7.86 and went straight form 7.85 to 7.87. Maybe that is the issue. I emailed Ken Dole for some guidance.