OptionVue update

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by tom, Jun 9, 2017.

1. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I had the notice that OptionVue released an update. In the release notes, a new format of 1x7 was added. Unfortunately, after applying the upgrade, OptionVue forgot all of my custom formats.

I use QuoteVue and I don't know why this was happening but the "Downloading daily file" dialog box kept opening and closing about every five seconds. Perhaps QuoteVue was unavailable or maybe because it was before the U.S. markets were open.

I decided to revert back to the previous version of OptionVue until I have more time to test this update.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
    1. Before you upgrade, take a screenshot of your custom formats.
    2. ALWAYS make a backup copy of your current installation BEFORE upgrading.
      It's very easy to do. Just copy your entire C:\OpVue8 folder structure somewhere else. Because OptionVue does not use the Windows registry, this is a very simple and effective way to save your current version that makes it easy to revert back in case the new version has any problems.

Frank and Rtb like this.
  2. PK

PK Well-Known Member

I also started re-entering everything from scratch. Good luck that I did not update during the week. And good luck that I followed your great advise of making a backup!

I also experimented another problem. I have futures options positions open in all July expirations. When I introduced manually the expirations to get the respective matrix, this worked well for 2 weeklies (July 7 and July14) and the montlly (July 31), bot no way to get the matrix for July 21. I always get the message that there is no underlying for this expiration, although I have both the June and September ES futures activated. I tried several dates (July 15 through July30) just for case, but no way.

Do you know if there is some place in Optionvue to define the valid expirations for an underlying. Or is this just another bug?

3. tom

I requested that Len add a feature to let users store sets of defined strikes and expirations with the ability to load them to a matrix. I don't know if he'll implement it or not.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

Fully agree. I always just make a copy of the entire OV folder before I click upgrade. You can always run the previous version that way directly from the back up folder.

5. meyer99

meyer99 Well-Known Member

I don't get it. How can these people, month after month, continue to spit changes (I am not going to call it upgrade) without doing the minimum amount of testing.

6. Rtb

Rtb Well-Known Member

Currently I am getting error messages if I try and open a Matrix for the ES Options, anyone else have this problem. Its working okay on the RUT and SPX. OV Error.JPG

7. StuartP

StuartP Member

8. Rtb

Rtb Well-Known Member

Stuart Thanks for the Info. I have already gone back to version 8.22 and I am still getting this error message. I am just pleased I am not Trading any ES Options at the moment, only following the Road Trip Service/Paper Trading them.

9. tom

I reverted back to 8.22 shortly after applying the 8.24 upgrade. I'm trading lots of ES options positions and it's stable. I'll probably wait for 8.25 to try again.

10. Jim C

Jim C Member

I've been getting the same error since v8.22. Sometimes the error source (upper left corner of the error message) is "OpVue.exe", at other times it is "OVHelper.exe", which is the new data interface for TOS. Regarding OVHelper and OV response problems with TOS data feed, I'm still seeing occasional sluggishness with the keyboard, and have to restart OV to (temporarily) clear up the problem.

11. tom

I'm using QuoteVue so I don' have the TOS data problems. Hopefully, Len will get 8.25 (or later) out soon.

12. PK

PK Well-Known Member

Confirm. Version 8.22 with QuoteVue is (relatively) stable; 8.23 & 8.24 apparently too, but only as long as you have only a few positions in major exoiration cycles; otherwise it's a BIG MESS; stay off! I have lost a lot of time finding out what happens; no way. Forget about it and wait.

13. DavidF

DavidF Well-Known Member

As a technotard can someone please tell me how do you revert back to an older version?

Have had major issues since the upgrade with backtesting, started with "error occurred in application" that Ken Dole fixed by renaming my archive folder. Now it´s "Registration Denied", "Downloading files" (then it jams up and have to close Windows and restart), "Logged on as another user" etc etc. Can´t rarely get through a monthly cycle without it breaking down, very frustrating.

14. Rtb

Rtb Well-Known Member

DavidF, you can use the link below to install version 8.22. I did this but the problem is you have to change all the settings back to how you previously had it. I would back up C\OpVue8 folder first, because your T-Logs are stored in here (C\OptVue8\Records). Going forward I am going to do what Tom recommended in the 1st post above. Up until now I have delayed installing the updates and haven't had to revert back to a previous version.

https://management.optionvue.com/external2/cb1497014001562/software/822JEODHEV/optionvue8-setup.exe

PK and DavidF like this.
  15. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

As I've said before, OV updates are like Lucy with the football Charlie Brown.

16. Rtb

Rtb Well-Known Member

Just to let anyone know who encounters a similar problem. I deleted the Archive Folder in the OpVue8 Folder and replaced it with a new empty Archive Folder and this fixed the problem with the ES matrix.

PK likes this.
  17. PK

PK Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your solution to this problem! Another tip is to keep a copy of your "Records" file in a safe place and overwrite the newly installed file with your copy of these records. During previous updates I experienced the bug that my trade IDs and Rs did not work anymore and the software messed up my open positions. It's a pity that there are no convincing alternatives in the market. ONE seems to be better from a software design and stability perspective, but it does not include futures options, does not offer a risk graph for the entire portfolio etc.

18. Jim C

Jim C Member

PK, you mentioned that a shortcoming of ONE is that it does not offer a risk graph for the entire portfolio. Have you found a way in OV to get this portfolio risk graph?

19. PK

PK Well-Known Member

I use the same sub-account for a given strategy, such as the road trip trades plus its hedges. I identify trades of the same expiration with a systematic and eaysy to understand trade ID and add letters to the R column for trades, hedging positions and, if needed, adjustments I wish to analyze separately. To see the combined risk graph for all of them, I just keep the default setting of "all" in the open positions menu. If I want to see a specific open position, I select the corresponding trade ID. If I want to see all of my positions without hedging, I deselect the letter I use to earmark my hedging trades etc. You can also go through different projection dates; I normally use the one that is further out in time. This way of analyzing the entire portfolio has helped me a lot to control my tendency to over-adjust. If I see that my portfolio is OK in terms of delta and PnL, and I have some positive delta in one expiration, I don't care anymore. And in some occasions it may happen that I adjust by doing trades in expirations that are OK to rmediate problems in a bad one because the adjustment is cheaper and more favourable for the overall portfolio. If the number of trade logs becomes too large, you may archive closed positions. For a classical RTT setting with about 25 trades per year plus 25 hedges, no need to do this frequently.

20. Jim C

Jim C Member

If I am correct, then, your portfolio view in OV is for trades all in the same underlying asset, such as various open trades in SPX. Have you found a way in OV to create a portfolio risk graph that combines more than one underlying, such as RUT and IWM?