OptionVue update

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by PK, Apr 24, 2017.

1. PK

PK Well-Known Member

I updated to the new version of OptionVue that was released some days ago. The software works fine, BUT all my account information and open positions have disappeared. I found that the software creates a new folder for all the date and moves my old files, including account and position information, in a separate OptionVue 2 folder. When I copy my data in the OptionVue folder and restart the software, the same process is repeated. Optionvue creates an OptionVue 22 folder with my data and creates an empty folder that is used by the software. The same thing happens if I change the folder name in the preferences. Can anyone help with this issue?
    Thanks in advance!
    Peter

2. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

You need to go directly to Optionvue tomorrow morning. This update introduces the new 15 minute increments and that may mean the program needs to store data differently or, it's just a bug: only the OV people can tell.

3. DGH

DGH Administrator

Peter, I realize my comments won't help you now, but they might in the future. I have learned over the years to wait several days, even two weeks or so, before updating to a newly released version of OV. They often have to fix what they have just done. It's their version of "shoot first and ask questions later", and we are the beta testers.

4. PK

PK Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply!

I will be more careful in the future with updates. We should ask OptionVue for a discount for beta testers ;)

For the case others have the same problem, a short follow up.

I suspect that the problem was caused by my rather crude configuration of file paths. I had all my files, with the exception of the home folder (local folder on C), referenced to a single Dropbox folder without replicating the original folder structure of OptionVue. Upon actualization, the update installer apparently creates new asset files and a few other basic files in a new folder. When I changed the preferences to go back to my original Dropbox folder, OptionVue did not accept this because of having there still my old asset files that the new version cannot read any more. This situation ended up in OptionVue creating a new folder with new asset files, but lacking all the files with the data of my account, open positions etc. Finally, what I did was to copy all my old files to this new folder and click "no" to any suggested replacement. In this way, the updated files remained there and so did my "personal" files. I do not know whether my interpretation of what has happened is correct but, as yet, everything appears to work again as expected.

I attach a screenshot OptionVue sent me to help how to get the files and folders right in Dropbox. As mentioned above, I still have all the files in a single folder (I am afraid of messing up everything by re-creating these folders) and it works fine, but maybe its not the way to go as my recent experience may indicate.

Thanks again for your feedback!

image001.png