OptionVue new ver. 7.71 Modelling Problems

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by Jay Winger, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Scott Slivnik

Scott Slivnik Well-Known Member

I am one of those that regrets purchasing the annual subscription. I would consider an annual subscription now if they offered me at least a 50% discount but that is it. A lot can happen in 12-13 months.

OV may be arrogant but do not believe OV is completely stupid. They know the combination of the modeling issues and the upcoming real competition will hurt future revenue. I would not be surprised if the annual subscription discounts increase as time passes.

I will only be sticking with OV if their new model is clearly superior to the competition (not likely). A minor edge will not keep me as an OV customer.

Andrei and Jay Winger like this.
  2. Jay Hattler

Jay Hattler Well-Known Member

Tom, No mention of an end to the offer. Here is the full text:

===========================================================================================================
    I hope this email finds you well!
    I wanted to offer you 13 months of your current OptionVue subscription for $900. This would save you $387 over paying monthly and you would be good until January of 2017! Let me know if you are interested.
    If you ever have any OptionVue questions or need assistance please let me know.

Best Regards,
    James Hogan
    Eastern Regional Product Consultant
    james.hogan@optionvue.com
    =============================================================================================================

3. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I used ONE while at SOM. I liked their back testing and do not remember any lack of data problems. Actually they have more intraday data (5 min) than OV. Also they have a much better approach to trade tracking and analysis. You may want to try their system for a month with no obligations.

4. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I have an impression that John Locke is now much more open to other tools. In his recent weekly webinars and his talk on OV problems he seemed to emphasize consistency and trade panning while using any of the available tools for analysis. All tools have a built-in market bias and thus produce over or underperform depending in the market environment. It seems that on average OV was the best and most consistent analytical tool across various market environments and thus the simplest to use. But this is no longer the case.

This brings me back to ONE. It seems like we have an opportunity to create a viable alternative and competition to OV. As some already mentioned here, it will be very interesting to invite Andy to speak about 1) his plans, 2) discuss his model, 3) give us some idea of the biggest obstacles, 4) tell us what help he needs to implement the new version.
    Then it will be up to whoever is interested to organize a group to help him by testing and critiquing his program. I think it should work better than contacting him separately.

Bruno, Paul, Jay Hattler and 5 others like this.
  5. Boomer34

Boomer34 Well-Known Member

More quality options is always a better thing! Looking forward to this developing!

6. Jay Winger

Jay Winger Active Member

I've made a Skype room for both OptionNetExplorer and OptionVue Beta Users. My hope is it will be used by people to contribute their observations/experiences from their backtests and live trading, to share any notes they've made or communications they've had with ONE or OV, hopefully leading to a more collaborative effort to get to a better model for everyone. Click on the below link to join if you want to help the effort:

https://join.skype.com/v1LuW5eBEPNP

Bruno and DavidF like this.
  7. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I contacted Andy and he seemed receptive to the idea of speaking.

8. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

Thank you Tom

9. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I am just looking at the new update of OV. I have updated it on my desktop and did a quick comparison with EIOIO, and TOS Regular model and TOS Smile
    The position is M3 type - 6 Dec Flys in RUT centered at 1150. Now I will try to get the old version on my laptop, but for now this is what I have. Really not a huge difference anywhere.

>>>>Just updated the spreadsheet with Previous version's results.
    Of course there are many variable and market factors affecting the models, but from this little experiment it looks like all models showed similar results except for the old version on the upside, where is a very significant difference.

upload_2015-12-9_11-55-47.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  10. Jay Hattler

Jay Hattler Well-Known Member

@Andrei. Thank you for the comparisons. Fascinating. The big takeaway for me is the large difference in the +5% Delta in the previous OV version. -39 Delta there, compared to +20 to +40 for all other comparisons. Is this the famous forward 'dip' in the T+0 line for M3 trades? If so, it seems that the old OV version was seriously wrong in showing a dip there.

11. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

It is really too small of a sample to make any conclusions, but nevertheless interesting. I will try to create a similar spreadsheet for the Jan cycle. Also would like to hear what other see with their trades.