Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OptionVue Data Problems

Discussion in 'Options' started by Rod M, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on with OVue's data feed. It appears that about once a month they are unable to deliver real time data feeds on certain symbols....and it seems that RUT is the primary issue. Since they announced their "enhanced services" last year along with their new price structure, it appears that their level of service continues to decline. I personally feel that it is also poor customer service to not issue any emails to update/apologize for the poor service data feed.
    Maybe Len Yates or an OVue rep could come on line here and explain the problems and maybe issue an apology.

Just my thoughts, what are yours ??

2. Paul Demers

Paul Demers Well-Known Member

I am getting my OV feed through TOS and everything seems OK.

3. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

Is your data feed from TOS real time or delayed. How many symbols do you track in OVue ?
    I have tried TOS in the past, but only received delayed data since I never opened a funded account.

4. Paul Demers

Paul Demers Well-Known Member

It is real time and I only trade SPX and RUT but I do not think there is a limit on symbols

5. marat

marat Well-Known Member

I also get my data from TOS for all the futures and indexes. Works pretty good.

6. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I use Interactive Brokers Trader Workstation to feed quote data into OptionVue. It's a little slow to do the initial population of a large index matrix with many strikes and expirations, but after the initial data is loaded, it keeps up pretty well.

7. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

I also have periodic data feed issues mostly on RUT , mainly on the IB data feed. TOS data feed seems to be more reliable....and I have not had these issues before.
    I fully agree with you Rod. They should improve their platform first before raising prices, not raise prices and then downgrade the whole thing.

8. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

I find the data feed from IB to be unreliable, and they send me warning messages if I have too many symbols up. Evidently they dont care how many symbols I have in their software, but limit what the data they will provide thru the API. This week I am using TOS for data feed and finding it to be very smooth...I am considering cancelling my data feed from OVue and using TOS.

A question to TOS data feed users: do you ever find that you have more symbols up than TOS data feed can support...if so, what do you find is the maximum that TOS can safely support.

9. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

My experience is that it's not how many symbols TOS can support in OV but how many it can send at one time. I use 75 as a symbol limit and have no problems with a matrix of several months of expirations set to large out of the money extent. I do not however watch a large number of stocks in the quote monitor.

10. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

Thanks...I am using 99 as a limit with no trouble...however, I typically only have RUT with large in and out of money settings with no problems so far.

11. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

One thing that bugs me when I use Broker Assisted Quotes is the periodic necessity to suspend the quote flow by double clicking on the revolving ball in Ovue in order to enter trades into Ovue. If I dont suspend, Ovue will not accept my numeric input into the grid. I have spoken with Ovue about this, and it seems that they are aware of the problem, but not fixing it other than with this work around. Also, I find that if I minimize Ovue, and then restore, sometimes it will take almost a minute for the grid to repopulate completely with proper values.

Just wondering if this is a headache for others...thanks.

12. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

Rod, I had exactly the same problem ("numeric input into the grid"). The latest version (or the version before) has a fix for that. It is working now for me.

The TWS API seems very fragile, other software vendors have problems with it too. But I only have IB, no TOS. So I have to stick with it. :(

13. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

I thought it was fixed also, but yesterday, I had to go back to the old way of doing things and suspend the ball to enter new values.

14. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

I tried to use the desktop version of TWS to feed quotes to OV this week and found that the options data was fine but the RUT index would stop updating. I'm not sure why but I do note that there is a separate fee for the Russell indices so perhaps there is something different about the data feed as well. The problem does not show up using TOS to feed OV or with the other indices (SPX, NDX, VIX, etc.) using TWS.

15. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

I have this problem too. As I only trade RUT I do not know if the other indexes are working. Sometimes it helps to close the matrix, open the matrix for another symbol and then go back to RUT. But sometimes I have to quit OV and start it again. It's annoying, but not the end of the world.

16. tom

I don't think it's fee related. If you're getting the RUT in TWS, OV should be able to get it. I also noticed the RUT price not updating. I closed the Quotes Window and re-opened it (Window > Quotes Display in OV). That did the trick for me.

It reminded me of when I was in Strategic Air Command in the KC-135. The standard operating procedure (SOP) for equipment that didn't work was to hit it. Sometimes that actually worked. That's what I had to do to the Quotes Display. Give it a swift kick :)

Tim R likes this.
  17. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

Please be aware that at the end of 2014 IB changed its data subscription model. You must go into your Account Management and see what Exchanges and Indexes you are subscribed to. Some, like RUT, require a separate fee subscription....not bad, I think RUT is $ 10.00 per month, or may be available in one of their "packages", but if you are not receiving RUT, or anything else that you are needing, try checking this also.

18. tom

I'm getting RUT in TWS but it sometimes doesn't fee the RUT price data just for the index in a matrix. The option prices are updating fine. I have to do that trick of closing the quotes window and re-opening it. Then I get the index prices updated in the matrix.

19. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

I agree Tom....that is my experience as well with TWS I am still paying for the data stream from O vue, but may drop it and use TWS data feed instead.

20. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

I've noticed that my OV RUT index quotes from TWS only lag when a matrix is open. As soon as I close the matrix the RUT will start updating again. If there is no matrix open, the RUT will update normally.