OptionVue Backtrader Historical Data Question

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by Kevin CK, May 15, 2017.

1. Kevin CK

Kevin CK Active Member

Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to the forums. Humbled by the knowledge shared here. Great community.
    I've been testing out the OptionNet Explorer software and have noticed that options data for SPX and RUT pre 2011 is only EOD data. Is this the case for OptionVue as well?

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. Rtb

Rtb Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin, In Optionvue the data in the SPX and RUT goes back to Jan 2001 and is in 30 minutes intervals but I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor in swapping across to Optionvue. I am actually thinking about swapping across to Option Net Explorer in the near future.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Kevin CK

Kevin CK Active Member

Thanks for the reply Rtb! I'm curious what's your reasoning for wanting to switch from OptionVue to OptionNet Explorer?

4. PK

PK Well-Known Member

From a practical and economical point of view I consider ONE a good alternative.
    The only thing I dislike a lot in ONE is that ONE does not allow me to analyse, with reasonable data, my positions after market close or during the weekend. OVUE backtrader provides data in less than one hour that are suitable for what if analysis and planning trades.
    And, important for me, you cannot analyse ES options trades in ONE; this should be implemented soon according to ONE's declarations, but this news is already almost one year old; keep waiting...
    What ONE handles much better than OVue is intraday quotes for index options (unless you pay for the optionvue data feed that is really worth the bucks if you trade options on an intraday basis; or you pay for additional data feed from IB).
    Finally, it depends on what you trade and how you trade.

5. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

One of the big advantages OV has is the ability to look at multiple positions in the graph at the same time so you can see how different adjustments compare to each other.

6. Kevin CK

Kevin CK Active Member

Ah, yes I could see that being very useful. OptionNet seems decent enough in terms of backtesting, however not being able to back past 2011 is a significant drawback. From the forums it seems that there are concerns about the T+0 line being as accurate as OptionVue. Anyone trading any of these strategies like the M3, Kevlar or RTT with OptionNet? How is the experience? I'd be willing to backtest these strategies and come up with my own greek adjustments.

I plan on giving OptionVue a trial run as well, though the price tag compared to OptionNet is significant.

Thanks again for your input!

7. ACS

ACS Well-Known Member

Neither program, or any other for that matter, has an "accurate" T+0 line. The software can only make a prediction of what future moves in volatility and skew will be based on the past. The problem is that every time the market moves, volatility and skew move differently since they are the results of human psychology and emotion. The answer is to become familiar with the program you use and know on average what happens while being on the lookout for unusual situations such as what happened before and after Brexit. ONE and OV each have their strong and weak points. Decide what is most important while testing them and then after you decide which one to use learn its particulars thoroughly.

Paul Demers likes this.