Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OptionVue and Windows 10

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by uwe, Feb 29, 2016.

1. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

I'm still using OptionVue with Windows XP (in a VM as I'm a Mac user). It is a very frustrating experience (IB as data source). Before completely giving up on OptionVue I would like to try another Windows version. I can buy Windows 7 and 8.1 for around 20 - 30 Euros. Also, I could update to Windows 10.

Does OptionVue even work under Windows 10? Or do you suggest another Windows version?

2. BillK

BillK Member

I use a PC with Windows 7 and OV works just fine.

3. Joe A

Joe A Active Member

I am using OV under native Windows 10. I have previously used OV under Windows 7 in the recent past. Neither has an impact on the use of OV. The well-known problems of OV appear to be unrelated to the choice of Windows operating system. (I have no experience with Windows inside of a VM on a Mac, so cannot speak to whether there might be separate issues with that combination of components.)

If it helps, you can notice that OV makes very few changes to the Windows registry. (Search for OV in the registry using one of the typical tools.) That is why it is easy to swap out versions of OV. This has been helpful during the recent turmoil, as you can have OV 7.83, 7.84, 7.85, etc. in parallel directories and choose which one to run.

The Windows registry entries appear to be only to allow an uninstall from Control Panel and a registration for printing. OV is very close to a 'portable' app, and that is a good thing in my opinion and a wise choice by Len in terms of design.

Joe

4. Jim Clements

Jim Clements Active Member

I have used OV under both Windows 7 and Windows 10 using TOS as my data source, with no difference in performance that is related to the version of Windows.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

I using OV with Win 10. No issue.

6. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback. I doubt that Win XP is causing these problems (quote reception just stops), but at least I want to try.
    I even found a Windows 7 SP1 key on Ebay for 9 Euros! I will give it a shot.

7. Peavey

Peavey Member

I have this problem (along with many other problems) on both Windows 7 and Windows 8, on multiple machines. Don't think it is a problem on the Windows side.