Option Risk Calculator Updated - Option Chain Retrieval working

Discussion in 'Option Risk Calculator Forum' started by OptionRiskCalc, Sep 2, 2017.

1. I've posted an update to the Option Risk Calculator, with retrieval of option chains once again functional.
    My thanks to blueowl for information on the newer Yahoo Web Services API for retrieving that information. This API may go away as the last one did, but for now it works and you can once again look up option chains from the tool, and transfer values into the tool's input fields.
    As before, this capability is reached from the "Data" menu item. You may need to refresh or shift-refresh the page to make sure the old code is flushed from the browser.
    Please give it a try...
    Nathan

2. JasonD

JasonD Member

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for this tool. It looks like it was fun to build. I know the data service is free and you are doing this work for free, but have you had anybody else that was able to access the url for the data service and yet the app is unable to do so and gets a timeout error?

I was getting an error with the Data|Lookup Option Chain:
    Cannot fetch option chain
    Timeout while calling https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/options/NVDA
    chrome_2017-11-04_10-57-36.png

Best Regards,
    Jason

3. Hi Jason,
    Curses, foiled again!
    They apparently don't want applications like mine accessing the data, and look for certain data access patterns to recognize them. I had solved this before, but apparently they've changed the logic to recognize it.
    (For any interested techies, my earlier workaround was to add metadata to the application page preventing sending of the "referer" header. That is no longer effective, and the problem needs to be solved again.)
    Nathan

4. Frank_M

Frank_M Member

I read somewhere else that the yahoo download API is dead as of 11/1/2017 :(

5. There's an old Yahoo API that is well and truly dead. This one still appears to work - I can browse directly to the URL. But there are some unavoidable differences between that query and the way the query is built from the application, and Yahoo is apparently failing or refusing to support the application version of that query. I solved this problem once already, but their logic has changed since then to render my earlier solution inadequate.

6. JasonD

JasonD Member

Hi Nathan,

I also like the Google platform and in particular, Google Sheets. With my broker, there is an oauth system and a web API available. So from inside Google Sheets, I created a menu and a custom HTML side panel that allow me to popup the broker's login page and get back the oauth token for the secure login. At that point, I was able to build functions (like Excel VBA) for about everything from getting options chains to downloading my account information. So that's idea number one because I would imagine that you could do the same and just let anybody using the service select the brokers you support and get redirected to their web site for the token which can be passed back to your app. I really like this idea because it is secure, relatively easy to implement, requires no downloaded code, is completely web based, and is supported by the brokers (not a free service - so we are in control). I had to go through an approval process with the broker to authorize my app, but it was pretty painless and now I have a real-time feed for whatever I want to build inside Google Sheets and when I share my work, the user doesn't connect to my brokerage account, of course. Instead they are sent to the broker login screen and can use the app via their account login.

Another idea that I have seen, but have not implemented myself, is to run a java app on the local system that gets quotes/info from the local trading platform. But with the way tools like flash and java are being pushed out of the market, I think that architecture is probably going to disappear in favor of pure javascript solutions with standard HTML.

Best Regards,
    Jason

7. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I had the same experience. I was getting delayed index pricing from them. I've had to switch. I'm talking to barchart.com to get data via their API but it's $300/month minimum plus exchange fees. Quite a difference from free. :(

8. Thanks, Jason. Just to make sure I understand, you're talking about APIs published by brokers, not Yahoo, usable with OAUTH tokens obtained when users with brokerage accounts authenticate to the brokerage? Supporting each brokerage involves a unique API and agreement to set up the auth services?

9. JasonD

JasonD Member

Yes, exactly, but I have seen some services that might abstract that layer also (for example, https://www.trade.it/)

I was thinking that most people on this forum seem pretty flexible, so you could probably pick a popular broker that works and people would just setup a small account to use the services. But yeah, if you want to go pro with it but let each user handle their own broker, then perhaps an API service would be useful?

10. JasonD

JasonD Member

Hi Tom,

Interactive Brokers charges $10 a month for data to non-professional subscribers. They cover that cost if you do at least $10 in commissions with them each month. Most brokers offer the data feeds for free to non-professional traders. The idea was that each person can pay their own way by using their own data service. The app just needs to provide a framework so that the data can be retrieved from the broker in the name of the user. End result is still "free" but the quality of service should be a lot better because the broker will want to take care of their client. There might even be a broker or a managed service that would want to sponsor the tool with an advertising fee in order to pay Nathan to maintain it so they can advertise their service. Win-win? I don't know. I'm sure you have a better idea than me, but I wanted to throw out the idea.

Best Regards,
    Jason

11. Frank_M

Frank_M Member

12. JasonD

JasonD Member

13. JasonD

JasonD Member

Intrinio seems to provide a market place for providers of data (earnings, fundamentals, etc).
    For options data, they have two providers. One provides a service for $100/month and says to call for historical data. The other says to just call. https://intrinio.com/marketplace/data#?category=prices&sub_category=options

It's a nice plugin, but you can build it yourself in javascript and connect it to your broker if they offer a RESTful service for their information. And I chatted with their support, they don't have option chains in real time, only something called trade alert for end of day information. Sorry to waste time. Stick with my original suggestion, use a personal broker. Free isn't the way to go. It will cost more money looking and since the broker provides this data, there's no need to look elsewhere. Just user their API.

cloth89 likes this.
  14. Thanks, Jason, TradeIt looks like a great library. I haven't looked into costs, but I'd guess making it pay off would require building a tool with more general appeal - a full-fledged trading tool, not just an option risk calculator.