Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Option Elements and Tony Sizemore

Discussion in 'Options' started by Troy Cassel, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Troy Cassel

Troy Cassel New Member

Hi, has anyone used his option trading room or bought any of his video courses? I emailed him a few questions but have not heard back from him. I was wondering if his trading room is still active.

2. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Tony's trading room is still active but he's going to be doing one meeting per week instead of the current two. Tony hasn't had any new courses in about 18-months.

3. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

Tony struck me as a very bright and energetic guy on the Round Tables he has participated in. Still enjoy going back and re-watching.

His strategy always struck me as high risk high reward - does anyone know if the strategy experienced particularly challenging periods over the past year?

4. norm smith

norm smith Member

I subscribed to his site for a couple of years, just discontinued it. His methods were very productive in 2015 until august.... he hasn't done well since and has moved into trading larger . Whenever the market had large moves, he became MIA... An interesting guy, SMB graduate with a retail background. His strategies are high risk and have done well in periods of low IV

5. Tps

Tps Guest

when you watch his little video you notice he has not updated his monthly returns in two years.

6. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I don't think Tony ever did anything with SMB other than join their trading contest. He was in the SOM community for a long time. I like Tony's ideas but I'm not as aggressive as Tony is.

7. Kannappan

Kannappan Member

I wouldn't classify his strategies as "high risk". A lot of strategies can become high risk however if not managed right. My eyes really got opened when I was introduced to his "Managing by the Greeks" approach years ago. Prior to that, I had never seen positions traded that way and neither had anyone else in the Options Communities that existed at that time.
    Some strategies mentioned here such as the Rhino, Road Trip, Weidor, M3 etc, came about because of the introduction of the concept of "Managing by the Greeks". These are trades that are based on his designs mostly. I don't know many options traders that can earn a living soley by trading without taking risks.

8. Paul Demers

Paul Demers Well-Known Member

Are you saying that the "Rhino, Road Trip, Weidor, M3 etc" "are trades that are based on his designs mostly" ?

9. HowardS

HowardS Active Member

Dan Harvey a much greater influence in general and with many of the mentioned trades. I like Tony, but I dont find the above statement accurate. Just an opinion.

10. Scott Slivnik

Scott Slivnik Well-Known Member

I share the same opinion. I consider Tony Sizemore's approach to be very high risk. Initiating trades 15-25 DTE combined with a refusal to buy puts is high risk to me. Tony, himself, has stated he took a -30% hit in August 2015. I lost money during that period as well but not anywhere close to -30%. His approach results in massive swings in P&L which meets the definition of high risk to me.

11. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

I don't want to pile on but I was part of Tony's program a few year's back and there were some pretty big hits on his trades when the market started moving. I am by no means an old timer, but I remember at Sheridan years ago listening to the archived trader group discussions of Dan Harvey, Jim Riggio, and even John Locke with his triple butterfly. This was well before Tony and managing by the greeks. I was even around to hear Sebastian coin the term "Reverse Harvey". I believe I have some of Dan Harvey's condor stuff on 8-track!:)

Paul Demers likes this.
  12. HowardS

HowardS Active Member

Eight Track? Now thats funny! I am pretty sure that I could dig up if necessary a few Webex presentations Dan H did when he first showed everyone the "weirdor" trade. I think he even did a powerpoint at one time. As far as managing by the greeks, Tony certainly showed his techniques a bunch of times, but I'm pretty sure that the market makers have been using the greeks to manage their trades for a very long time. I remember Charles Cottle talking about this long ago. I think many of the other guys who were market makers used similar techniques.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    tom and Paul Demers like this.
  13. vega4mike

vega4mike Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got your info from, but its best to check your facts before posting, all the strategies you mentioned where mostly developed independently by different traders. Managing by the greeks was taught to us (Dan Sheridan crowd) of which Tony was part of. All Tony did was modify the concept to suit his style of trading. Tony is a great trader & I did learn stuff from him when I joined his trading room he trades high gamma, which works when the mkt cooperates, but can occasionally blow up & rip your face apart irrespective of the greek ratios & all that jazz.

Jack, Trader G and Paul Demers like this.
  14. DGH

DGH Administrator

Thanks, Trader G et al. Actually, my first recording was on wax cylinder at the turn of the century.

Paul Demers likes this.
  15. Paul Demers

I think I still have that recording and I want to thank you Dan for sharing the evolution of the weirdor trade. It was the first trade I ever traded and what got me hooked.

16. DGH

DGH Administrator

And what a great trader you have become, Paul. Now, when you speak, I listen carefully.

17. Dennis L

Dennis L Member

:D Baahawawawaahahahaha -- good stuff

18. Keith Meloney

Keith Meloney New Member

I second that! Great stuff !!!

19. Trader G

Trader G Well-Known Member

I have his book and always thought his idea of harvesting baby flys was interesting. However I could never successfully utilize it in real time trading. Just curious if anyone here, ever used Cottle's stuff, especially the baby fly harvesting?

20. Paul Demers

Thanks for the kind words Dan