New Desktop Trading Computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcas, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

It is about time for me to look around for new PC. It will be desktop.

Though I'm capable of building my own system, buying ready one is preferable unless there is huge price difference. So far i'm leaning to cheap Falcon - http://www.tradingcomputers.com/TC_Desktop_F-35.html. With small modifications it seems to be sufficient enough.

Does anybody went this route recently and can share some advices?

2. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

Looks good to me but I would not call that cheap It has a 7th gen Intel chip so that's pretty much the top of the line
    I am only using a 5th gen chip and it's good enough for what I am using it for although I am not doing any live trading with it
    Are you going to go with the whole multiple monitor setup and go into trading full time of you just want the tower ?

3. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

Well, I'm on i7 first generation. As you see I'm not chasing new hardware. Set I'll buy will be for years. This Falcon is cheap in comparison to other offers. I checked in local store price is similar. I will look at parts prices but I'm wiling to pay few bucks for assembled set. I'm excited about M2 memory - I need this!. Skip some things like Windows, Optical Drive etc.
    As per monitors my 2 27' (I think) give me enough room.

I'm open to any suggestions, I didin;t follow comp market for years.

4. Srini

Srini Active Member

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

As Intel recently launched Gen 8 CPU, PC OEMs will have to fire sale Gen 7 inventory soon. Look out for deals. Gen 7 is good enough unless you're a gamer chasing the latest CPU power.

I would focus my PC budget on RAM and graphics card. At least 32GB of RAM. With 32GB or bigger, you can give TOS 12GB or even 24GB. Also a good graphics card will help in the charts. If you monitor many charts at one go, both RAM and graphics will be important. Personally, I'd go for the nVidia 10x series graphics card. It's a bit pricey but it'll help not only graphs but also HD and 4K videos.

I'd also go for the fast SSD. It's very important to me because I can no longer tolerate PCs that take more than 20 seconds to boot up. With a fast SSD, you can achieve <10 secs cold boot and instantaneous wake up.

6. meyer99

meyer99 Well-Known Member

Before you buy go to Originpc.com and build a PC with similar specs to the Falcon and see what you get.

7. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

8. Srini

Srini Active Member

HP Z series is built like a tank, fastest and silent. It has probably one of the best reviews in tech sites if money is not an issue.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  9. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

Thanks for input. I watched Z840 review. Few years back it would be my goal, now I need station for trading and Z840/Z820 is just too much. I guess it would force me load all my software (back to Windows) just to check how it runs : ) It is not what I'm looking for (and yes, money is an issue here).

I want 32 GB RAM with expansion possibilities and fast access to data - M.2 sounds good though I have no experience with it. I don't care much about system starting time but waiting for I/O bothers me a lot.

Selection of right graphic card always was a problem. In past I spend a lot of time looking for the best card for my needs, and was never fully satisfied with choice I made but week after card installation all that jazz with GPU was usually forgotten. I'm running GT 730 and have nothing to complain about (almost, true TOS with 12 windows open runs very slow, I have 3 now and all is good). I tried 4K and I see no point.

GPU and motherboard are my main focus. Kevin is this ok in your opinion?
    www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-02G-P4-6150-KR/dp/B01N0O56HJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510104507&sr=8-4&keywords=NVIDIA%2BGeforce%2BGTX%2B1050&th=1

I don't intend to overstretch this thread more than necessary. Here is site I used to use often in such situations, maybe it will be useful for somebody else:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

11. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I have a GTX 1070 and it's awesome. No regrets.

12. status1

Thanks I bookmarked that one
    It's nice because it can be sorted by different columns
    Interestingly the memory with the highest speed has very low rating so it's good for comparison shopping
    I could use it the next time I am in the market for a pc or any components

13. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

You may find useful things if look around in this link. Pair it with benchmark links for your soft and you are good (if you have enough time for this task). I didn't post mines because they are little specific. I don't know any benchmarks for trading platforms I guess it is because they are in
    them-selfs not too demanding.

Here is one for GPUs I was using. It's focus is on games and you shoud know what to look for for your soft.
    http://gpuboss.com/compare-gpus

14. status1

Thanks but I am not sure what to look for in the gpus
    I am not using it for gaming so it probably doesn't matter
    As long as it works in TOS in live trading and not slow down to a crawl when I have too many simulated trades open I am happy with whatever works faster
    So far the only thing that is forcing me to upgrade is trading and more specifically TOS
    The more upgrades they make it seems the slower it gets so if it gets too slow for me that is when I upgrade and usually I don't buy the latest system since it's more expensive and it eventually be replaced anyway
    I remember a few years ago when the minimum ram was 512KB now we are up to 2-4GB so we came a long way since then and I only upgraded twice so far

15. Oliver

Oliver Member

I have a laptop with 16 gig RAM and a 1070 in it, but it is completely overkill for swing trading and index options. What I have been using most often is actually a chromebook (ASUS c302) and a cloud PC hosted by Paperspace running thinkorswim.

For a home PC, I'd say 16 gig of RAM, an SSD and support for your preferred # monitors is all you need. If you go for a desktop, an extra look at the "max" values is always good so you know you can upgrade it in future. I don't think the nVidia cards add much value unless you run software that can take advantage of OpenCL/CUDA, want to run 3+ monitors, or you like high-end videogames.

16. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

I have 12 GB RAM. It works nicely just at times when I have to run win in vbox I.m left with 4GB for my system which is ok for everyday tasks but not comfortable. With 8 Gig for Win I still get low memory alerts from TOS occasionally. So 32 should do it, especially if I will be able to load multiyears data for my bactester. As per GPU I will go with nVidia Quadro. Something lower like 4000 will do. This way I'll cover my other(potential) needs. If I have to I cut on CPU. I'd like to do it and forget it for at least few years.
    I don't know much about cloud machines. I suppose I should establish one for emergency. Not my way of computering though. :)

Thanks for input.

17. Jack Lane

Jack Lane Member

I am ordering a system from CyberPowerPC with the following specs:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz [4.0GHz Turbo] Sixteen-Core 32MB L3 Cache 180W Processor
    32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel Memory
    120GB WD Green SSD + 1TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo (Combo Drive)
    MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE AORUS X399 Gaming 7 ATX w/ RGB, Digital LED Support, 802.11ac, USB 3.1, 5 PCIe x16, 8 SATA3, 3 M.2 SATA/PCIe
    POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
    GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5

Black Friday Special ~$2200 with shipping