Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modeling IV rise in TOS

Discussion in 'Options' started by Jim Hardy, May 17, 2016.

1. Jim Hardy

Jim Hardy Member

I'm sure this must be a really dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.

When trying to model an IV rise in the Analyze tab, TOS asks for a percentage figure. If I enter, say, 5.00%, is that the same as the VIX roughly going from 12.00 to 17.00? I don't think so, because TOS is not asking for "points" but rather a percentage. But a 5% rise from 12.00 should only be up to 12.60, correct?

Thanks in advance for helping me screw my head on straight.

2. Capt Hobbes

Capt Hobbes Well-Known Member

True, in the ideal world everyone would consistently say "points" to mean the absolute vol value and "percent" its relative change. As in "the VIX increased by 10% from 20 points to 22." But in reality, it's common to express volatility itself as a percentage value, so "points" and "percent" become the same. Just like you point out, that makes something like "volatility increased by 5%" ambiguous, and you just have to find out what it means. In the Analyze tab in TOS, they mean the absolute percent (points), so +5.00% does mean kind of like the VIX going from 12 to 17. "Kind of" because what they do is simply add 5% to the IV at each strike, while in the real market if VIX goes up 5 points, IVs at strikes don't all increase by the same amount. So the actual t+0 line after a 5 point VIX increase will look different from what TOS shows when you enter 5% in the "Vol Adj" box.

Al G. likes this.
  3. Jim Hardy

Jim Hardy Member

Thanks for your response, Capt! It's making more sense.