Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member's Web Site is on a new server

Discussion in 'News' started by tom, Aug 5, 2016.

1. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

We had some big problems with the old server which caused the web site to malfunction. After considering whether to fix it in place or move to a new server, I decided moving would make the most sense.

At this point, I believe I have nearly everything migrated and working. Please let me know in this thread if you find anything that's broken.

Sorry for being offline for a bit yesterday. I did send the experts a list of their subscriber's email addresses to send out messages if needed while I was recovering the server.

Chuck likes this.
  2. Harry

Harry Active Member

Looks like it is working as I could see the classes just now.

3. Dot

Dot Well-Known Member

I am unable to log in on my main computer for some reason; "login failed". Two other computers logged in fine; any suggestions?

4. tom

Hi Dot. You can try clearing your browser cache and history and trying again. That usually does the trick. You can also try holding the SHIFT key down when clicking on the button to log you in.

5. Dot

Dot Well-Known Member

That didn't work, maybe a restart which is what I'll try now. Tks, Tom

6. Dot

Dot Well-Known Member

Restart didn't work either, unable to log in with either Chrome or IE. Must be a setting on my end; at least I have access on my laptop

7. Dot

Dot Well-Known Member

Thanks a million, Tom - your magic did the trick!

8. ken4cats

ken4cats New Member

Hi Tom,

I sent you an email ....about my problem with downloading files , PDF and getting into members forums. I always get a message to sign up ...but I believe I am up to date on my payments. Also, now I cannot access my billing profile...I get an error message.

9. ooo|ooo

ooo|ooo Active Member

I can't log in with Firefox on Windows 10:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>
    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

10. Tps

Tps Guest

Hi Tom - I get an error message when I try to log into billing.

11. tom

Oh... that's right. I have to get that moved too. Thanks for reminding me!

12. Harry

Harry Active Member

It seems I lost all my class notification settings with this change, and I had to go back and reconfigure those. Others may also want to check and fix. Thanks!

13. us271782

us271782 Member

Tom - as an IT guy, this little blip you had to deal with reminds me to say thanks for jumping on it quickly and also thanks in general for the admin work you do. I troll several financial sites in addition to CD and this is the best adminned site by far.

14. tom

Many thanks! I've been programming since 1974 and doing web development since 1996 so I've seen my share of disasters. I try to spread the risk of a server going down. After this latest "blip", I have a few more things I'm planning on doing to spread that risk even more :)