Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiveVol Subscription

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thetaeater, Dec 31, 2016.

1. thetaeater

thetaeater Guest

Hi-
    I am new to the forum, so please excuse me if this has already been discussed. I am interested in reviewing historical IV skew data and analyzing present IV skew on RUT and SPX. Jim Riggio seems to like LiveVol a lot and I really like their IV charts and the flexibility they offer.
    However, Live Vol is kind of expensive.
    Lightspeed is currently offering LiveVol X for free if you have an account with them. They are introducing brokers to Interactive if you want to use LiveVol. I think LiveVol X is as much as 500$/month for a direct platform subscription.
    https://www.lightspeed.com/platform-comparison/
    Has any of you tried to open an account with lightspeed and gotten free access to LiveVol X? Any issues with this approach?
    Anything else you use to analyze skew? I have TOS, TWS, OptionVue but they seem to be limited in functionalities.
    Thanks.

2. tman

tman Active Member

I have a livevolx account. I opened it before livevol had to divest livevolx when the company was purchased by cboe. They've had some outages. It is only my IRA account which I don't trade too actively so I didn't have any real issues. The analysis tools are nice but I still prefer TOS.

3. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

Before you commit to Livevol X take advantage of the free trial to see if all those "advanced" functionalities appeal to you. Having used Livevol for 2 years now, its IV skew chart (the one Jim is showing sometimes) sure is nice but that is where it ends for me, nice. If you use TWS....I find IB's Skew functionality to be much much better given you can superimpose different days' skew charts on top of each other and that you can compare the skew charts of different instruments for a given expiration.
    Performance issues are common (they always blame the "IB connection") and while there are so many areas where Livevol X could improve functionality wise there has been absolutely no improvement, not a single meaningful new release coming out in the last 2 years, NONE, I do not even think they have developers in place....their priorities must be elsewhere. Just my two cents.

thetaeater likes this.
  4. thetaeater

thetaeater Guest

Thanks tman & Gabor.
    Hi Gabor-
    Its awesome that this nice a tool is available right in my own backyard as I use TWS for trading, but had not tried their skew charts.
    I think you are referring to their volatility Lab (Trading Tools->Volatility Lab), correct? or, is there anything else?
    https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/tws/usersguidebook/mosaic/vollab.htm
    This tool on TWS looks really nice & I agree with you that their feature to compare the skew charts of different instruments is really unique.
    Thanks for pointing me to it.

5. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

6. thetaeater

thetaeater Guest

Thanks Gabor.....I hope to hear Jin Riggio's comments on the utility of Live Vol.
    A couple of things I noticed are: LiveVol can show the IV variation over time for 30Day, 60-day, 90-day vol, (I think by interpolation) which TWS does not (it shows only for specific expirations). 2nd, the time Lapse skew of TWS is limited in functionality since you have to manually select the dates and you can not play the skew variation over time easily.