Latest Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by garyw, Aug 2, 2017.

1. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

Beware: Do not allow the latest Windows 10 update during market hours! --It takes a loooooonnnggg time -- seemed like hours, then tries to sell you crap, before you get your machine back.
    Another Microsoft annoyance. It removed my "cmd prompt access", I have now switched to "Window PowerShell" until I figure out how to restore to common tools.
    After crossing age 50 or 60, Change is NOT good, unless there is a reason! :-(
    If it ain't broke ....!

2. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

You sound like you're ready to go over the the dark side: Linux!

Somewhat related: I have a home weather station that uploads to the Weather Underground web site. I was running the weather station software on my Windows 10 machine and basically the thing wouldn't stay up 24/7 due to involuntary software updates and reboots. I use Linux in my day job almost exclusively so I knew I could put up a cheap Linux server to upload the weather station data. No mandatory, involuntary updates. No overnight reboots. It stays up for months on end with no intervention.

My main laptop PC at home is a Linux box too. I run ToS, IB TWS and all my custom front ends on it.

3. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

I hear you! (Btw, my Win 2008 server (which is Microsoft) is production-worthy) -- I cannot knock Linux!