Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal Server Error

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jim Clements, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Jim Clements

Jim Clements Active Member

When composing a reply to a post, I am getting a frequent internal server error:

upload_2015-10-16_14-18-10.png

2. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Jim. I'll investigate the server logs.

3. tom

Interestingly, my reply to you didn't have any problems. Were you trying to upload any images?

4. Jim Clements

No image uploading, I was responding to a post in a conversation titled "EEV", started by murph567 on Oct 4. The internal server error first happened on Oct 7 or Oct 8; I was unsuccessful in posting on that day, and finally got the post in on Oct 9. No problems with my post on Oct 10, or my first post on Oct 16 morning. In case this is relevant, I do not have access to this conversation from the main Forums page; I have to click the link that is contained in the email notification that I receive when there's a new post in the conversation (http://forums.capitaldiscussions.com/conversations/eev.58/unread).

5. Jim Clements

Tom,

The error just happened again, at 09:27 PDT. I was creating a new post in the OptionVue Forum, and did a copy/paste into the message of the content of an email that I received from OV Support. Shortly after I did the paste, and was scrolling down through the content to read it, the error happened.

Jim

6. tom

Hi Jim.
    Could you forward that email to me so I can examine it and try it. Are you using Windows or a Mac or something else?
    Thanks
    Tom

7. Venkat

Venkat Well-Known Member

I too encountered the same problem. To solve it, I split my lengthy reply into two parts and posted. It worked. Perhaps there is a limitation on the number of words....

8. tom

It's a standard XenForo forums installation. I'll see if there's something in the settings for content length in a post.

9. tom

I found two settings One was the content length in characters and the other was number of lines. It was set to 10000 characters and 20 lines maximum. I've changed it to 50,000 characters and unlimited number of lines. Hopefully this will be enough to stop the posting errors.

10. tom

Update: The word "from" was causing an SQL injection attack warning with the web server security module. I'm looking to see how to prevent it from blocking valid posts.