Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting candle pattern on RUT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marat, Jun 2, 2015.

1. marat

marat Well-Known Member

RUT is exhibiting interesting 3-in-1 candle setup. I am not a candlestick expert, but this one seemed interesting. This particular pattern has been promoted by Jeffrey Kennedy, and you can read about it more at this link http://vantagepointtrading.com/archives/3316 :
    "The 3-in-1 bar pattern occurs when the price range of the fourth bar (named, the “set-up” bar) engulfs the highs and lows of the last three bars. When prices penetrate above the high — or — below the low of the set-up bar, it often signals the resumption of the larger trend. ... "

upload_2015-6-1_20-48-58.png

Attached Files:

2. Thanks, Marat.

Good post, interesting article. I thought the article poorly defined the pattern: instead of "...occurs when the price range of the fourth bar (named, the "set-up" bar) engulfs the highs and lows of the last three bars", it should have read: "...occurs when the price range of the first bar (named, the "set-up" bar) engulfs the highs and lows of the following three bars."

If the author meant that you could have a version of the pattern where there could be more than four bars total, it could read: "...occurs when the price range of a previous bar - named, the "set-up" bar - engulfs the highs and lows of the most recent 3 bars."

As it is, the piece doesn't clarify whether this a 4 bar pattern (e.g., "Three Rising Methods" is a 5-bar pattern) or allows for more.

3. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

I understood it as at least 4 bars (more are also possible).

4. marat

marat Well-Known Member

I agree that the original wording could have been better but the meaning still comes through. You have candle that defines the range of the following N bars. N=1-2 cases are fairly common, but N >=3 are rare and perhaps significant. It looks like today we may even have 4-in-1. For me all this suggests a significant indecision point and a way to spot a potential trend once RUT closes above or below the setup bar on 5/27