Interactive Brokers Non-Professional Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Online Brokers' started by stevegee58, Jan 18, 2017.

1. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

Out of the blue I got this email from IB notifying me that I have to answer the Non-Professional Questionnaire within 5 days or I'll lose my data access.
    Recently I updated my profile (as required yearly). The only thing that really changed on my profile was the number of option trades/year and my years of experience. I went from making like 10 option trades/year to greater than 100 (thanks to the RTT). Is that what makes them think I'm a pro now?
    Has anyone else run into this? I'm an engineer with a day job trading my own account, plain and simple. I don't get why I'm getting the third degree suddenly.

2. Harry

Harry Well-Known Member

If you are a non-professional, you are a non-professional. Any reason to think otherwise and worry about filling up a simple form?
    AFAIK if you are trading a personal account (for self = not others, AND for self = with SSN(s) rather than an entity such as C-Corp/S-Corp/LLC/Trust), you are a non-professional.

ALSO, presumably you do not have professional status in any other account such as with your employer (or in any other capacity), but then reporting non-professional on IB. That's all I can think of where you may need to worry.

3. Steve S

Steve S Well-Known Member

They hassle me with those things all the time since the exchanges went on steroids a few years ago to increase their fees in this area (borderline cases). The truth is probably this: IB doesn't care at all, they are just making you fill the thing out so they have the documentation they want to present to the exchanges on demand.

4. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

Nope, just trying to understand how I got flagged.