IB Trade Tracking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevegee58, Oct 5, 2016.

1. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

Hi Tom and other IB users,

I organize my TWS tabs the way Tom showed in his video where RTT trades + adjustments are grouped by underlying and expiry. e.g. "SPX Oct31"
    My initial RTT spread appears cleanly under its tab but when I start making adjustments like doing RH's and layering small flies the individual legs get disconnected from one another. Also, the closed legs disappear and the realized profit/loss information is lost in the current unrealized profit/loss calculations. I make up for this by trading all the open and closed trades in Excel. I've also seen some spreads get redefined as a negative size with the legs reversed as well. If you work out the math it's correct but it's confusing when show like this.
    I realize that I could remedy this by just using OptionVue but is there a way to coerce TWS into keeping my spreads together and better reflecting current P/L?

2. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,
    I am afraid there is no remedy to your items, at least not that I am aware of. Once you start moving the legs back and forth the spreads will fall apart. You can always recreate them but it will be manual work. And yes realized P&L will disappear (like in any platform), one thing you may do is 1) insert a header row and manually type in your realized P&L, then simply do the quick math when required. You may as well insert a note column and type in the numbers there. In my opinion the power of the tab approach is not tracking the P&L but being prepared by setting up different adjustment spreads for your different tabs and just pulling the right trigger when time comes.

3. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

^^^

This is one of the big reasons so many of us use OV. It is well worth the investment imo.

4. stevegee58

I know, but as I've been told "I'm so tight I squeak" :cool:

5. Chaitanya

Chaitanya Active Member

i track mine on tos.

-gariki

6. Chaitanya

Chaitanya Active Member

Steve, also can you point to which of Tom's videos in lib you are referring to above.

7. stevegee58