IB Complex orders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

IB rejected my 1/1/4/4 Condor. I had to break the trade into a 1/1/3/3 Condor and 1/1 Vertical. IB accepted the two orders.
    I have heard that TOS does accept a 1/1/4/4 Condor.

Does anyone else have these unusual experiences with unbalanced condors with their brokers?

2. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

I've never had a complex spread rejected before by IB. Maybe the margin requirement exceeded your maximum on the initial order.

3. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

Why would IB accept the trade as two broken up trades and not one trade? I should have mention these were all closing trades, not opening trades. The trades should decrease margin.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  4. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I called IB and asked technical support. They said that indeed with complex orders some orders greater then a 3 to 1 ratio will not be accepted as one order! You must break up the order. I know for a fact that TOS will accept a 1/1/4/4 put Condor.

5. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've only ever done symmetric condors for my Reverse Harveys (though usually I only roll down the uppers).

6. Bruno

Bruno Moderator Staff Member

I have also come across the "Invalid Combo Order" message on numerous occasions and IB would not give any precise information on acceptable orders or not. Needless to say that they were quite arrogant and basically they have no intention to fix that limitation.:(