HOW TO START USING RTD IN EXCEL?

Discussion in 'Beginner Traders' started by Andres, Dec 15, 2016.

1. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

Paul: I do all my calcs from the BID/ASK prices. I have not noticed TOS messing those up yet! ;-)
    I am deriving IV via my gradual understanding of Steve Speer's work.
    I code in Perl (old school), and have the Perl code build the RTD spreadsheets on the fly as needed. I can't remember stuff, so have to code it if I need it to be correct.

2. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

To Paul
    do you have any issues with multiplying the reference cell containing the opra code
    I know you probably are not using TOS to track the greeks but I was just wondering if that works for you as it's not working for me so I am not sure if I am doing it wrong or maybe it's not working because I am using excel 2003
    Your code works as is for the MARK it's only when I try to use it for GAMMA where I have to multiply by 100 and if I multiply the opra code directly in the cell it's working but if I try to use a reference cell I am getting an error

3. Paul Demers

Paul Demers Well-Known Member

I think the bid/ask prices will work what ever they do to calculate their modified greeks. I use VBA functions to create a raw Black Scholes IV. Just trying to keep it simple.

4. Paul Demers

I use separate cells to do the multiplication. You may try to do the math after the RTD code instead of inside it.
    example
    =RTD(RTD,,$H$7,$V8) * 100

5. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

status1:
    I just tested this on a different machine running Excel 2003, and it is working for me. -- sometimes TOS can get confused with RTD. If so, killing both TOS and Excel, then bringing each back up in sequence will resolve --- IFF your issue is a TOS RTD failure.
    Also, an easier method may be to increase your precision to 5 digits in the TOS settings.
    Sorry but I don't know what an "office libre" is!
    BTW: The spreadsheet I posted labeled the references, so if you are not using that spreadsheet you will have to make modifications.

Edward likes this.
  6. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

Paul: The multiplier within the RTD function informs TOS to multiply the value prior to sending. This multiplication occurs PRIOR to TOS's rounding to the "number of digits" prior to sending via RTD (If I understand correctly). So this helps address some round-off of precision.

7. Paul Demers

I understand now why you do it. I never needed it calculating the greeks using the spreadsheet. I never liked the idea that TOS can change the way they calculate the greeks when ever they wanted so I never use them.

8. status1

I think I got it to work
    I see that garyw has 2 & and 2 " symbols surrounding the * so I tried that and it seems to work I just used those symbols and a simple cell reference and it works It still has an issue with the names but I can work around that
    Sure would have been nice if I could get the sim price
    Maybe Tasty works will have something usable when they open up

9. Panoramia

Panoramia Guest

Interested discussion... Let me ask you a "silly thing"... I am having problems with RTD and decimals for LAST PRICE, I am not having the 2 decimals on last price and getting numbers like 43955 on #AA instead of 43.95.
    Anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong? Is there a RTD function to format decimals?
    Thanks in advance

10. garyw

garyw Well-Known Member

Can you post the RTD formula "exactly" so we can determine if that is the issue?
    For example, if looking for last price of SPX, S/B -->=RTD("tos.rtd",,"LAST","SPX")<--
    You may be trying multiplication on the TOS side via the RTD reference that may not receive consistent support by TOS.

11. status1

Try to export the trade tab to excel than click on the LAST and compare that to your formula
    Are you trying to get the last price only or to calculate your p/l ?
    As garyw suspected you may be trying to get the p/l or are doing some calculations so a 10 lot at 43.95 would be 43950 not sure where the other extra 5 is coming from unless you added something else in there

12. Neil

Neil Active Member

MajorTom and Paul Demers like this.