Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you use "Accounts" in ONE?

Discussion in 'OptionNET Explorer' started by Tim R, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Tim R

Tim R Active Member

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user of ONE to track live trades and do backtesting. So far, I haven't really found an efficient way to organize trades into accounts and am looking for ideas from others who have used it longer.

I have 4 different "Live" trading accounts defined each representing a different real brokerage account (One margin and 3 different IRA's for me and my spouse). In addition, I have a few "test" accounts for backtesting trading strategies and start their names with an underscore so they appear at the bottom of the list. This setup for test accounts seems to work fine.

However lately, I've found it somewhat cumbersome to toggle through each of the 4 live Accounts to examine different SPX road trip trades, for example. I have been considering making one master live account in ONE then using the trade name to identify which live brokerage account each trade belongs to.

I do like that Reports are broken down by each account, so obviously that would go away if I'm putting all live trades into one account in ONE. Just interested in how others who have been using the software longer to track trades how organizing their setup.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Al G.

Al G. Well-Known Member

Tim, i personally set my accounts by Trading Strategy, regardless of what account they sit in. This helps me determine how my different strategies eg Road trip, Rhino, Space Trip, Speculative, etc.. perform.

Thanks

3. Tim R

Tim R Active Member

Al G. - Thanks for your input, that sounds like a great idea, especially for monitoring the performance of each strategy. Can I ask, do you then have a method to identify within the trade name which brokerage account they belong to?

Thanks,
    Tim

4. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I find creating accounts to parallel my actual accounts to be a very useful approach. Much better than what I had to do in OV, i.e creating a separate account for each trade. The key to me is naming every trade in a consistent to clearly identify index and type of each trade.
    What I am struggling with in ONE is their reporting module, which is VERY weak.

5. Norm

Norm Member

I actually find the reporting in ONE to be very useful for identifying trends in my trading. What do you find that you can't do because some of it seems to be undocumented. The ability to filter based on complex criteria is invaluable to me.

6. Tim R

Tim R Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think Al G's approach of accounts by trade type sounds appealing for tracking what strategies are working and what isn't for me. What I find very useless about the current reporting in ONE is that it only reports REALIZED P/L for each trade, so the reports of all my trades that are still open (which are most of them at this point for me) are not useful and cloud the results. I suppose this will not be such a problem once I have months and months of closed trades in each.

7. Norm

Norm Member

ONE is no different to optionvue in that respect which only shows unrealized if you happen to have that particular matrix open, which I thought was very cumbersome.

In ONE, I always filter out any open trades first by clicking on the 'status' column header filter icon, then selecting 'closed'. All statistics and charts are then only showing me my closed positions. I also build custom filters so I can summarize my trading statistics based on any combination of criteria, for example, if I want to only see all RUT M3 trades with DIT > 30. It's really powerful for mining valuable nuggets of information out of my trading history.

Tim R and Al G. like this.
  8. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advise. I will take another look at the module. I do find it very annoying that they do not give you an option to view Unrealized P/L. Also lack of a straight forward download to Excel is a big omission.