Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Len Yates and Crew - Keyboard Delay Really Needs To Be Fixed - and....

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by Jerry Furst, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Jerry Furst

Jerry Furst Member

OV: Keyboard Delay Must Be Fixed
    I have mentioned this problem several times, Len you have acknowledged it on a webinar here on CD, you know there is a problem (and must be a solution).
    The only way around the problem is pausing the live data feed.
    -------

Robert L. likes this.
  2. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jerry. I have the same problem. Double clicking on the graphic in the upper right to suspend live data is the most reliable way to enter positions or even choose which R code I want to look at.

LearPilot likes this.
  3. Jerry Furst

Jerry Furst Member

Hi Tom,
    I hope this can be keyboard latency issue can be addressed and I suspect Len and OV staff do not experience the problem,
    so they have no imperative to fix what they do not have to deal with.
    Len is too smart to not know what the problem/fix is - I suspect it's just low on his priorities because if he had to deal with it - he would fix it.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

I lower the total number of symbols to update to 150 and limit the number of underlying I include in the quote display. The keyboard issues went away.

upload_2016-1-18_0-38-42.png

Robert L. likes this.
  5. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Kevin. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow. I usually close the quotes window altogether after I open up the SPX matrix.

6. Georges

Georges Well-Known Member

In he past I used IB quotes and setup Optionvue Symbol Limit to 70 with about 4 or 5 Expiration months, got total in the matrix arround 350 - 500 quotes (upper right conner optionvue).
    Strike range set to Moderate.
    I didn't used weeklies.
    When using Dan harvey's Road Trip Trade we need to setup addtional the weeklies. But we must aware of not to set to high quotes in the matrix.
    What is a setup in Optionvue, Symbol Limit, Define autostrike, Expirations months. That is still working fine with IB quotes?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. meyer99

meyer99 Well-Known Member

I use Symbol Limit = 100 with TOS and do have latency issues all the time.
    Kevin, what is your Setup/General/System/Quote speed in TOS? Maybe that is what's causing my issue.

I have 9 symbols in the Quotes page in OV

8. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I trade RUT monthlies and SPX monthlies and weeklies. I try to limit the counts as much as possible. I use a reasonably powerful computer (about 1 year old) with 8GB memory, more than enough for any other application, except may be for gaming.
    Makes it very frustrating to use the program. And I don't think constantly turning the data feed off and on or redefining options matrix is an acceptable solution.

9. Jerry Furst

Jerry Furst Member

For Futures Traders - it's not that difficult to limit the symbol count...
    To understand the frustration....
    Consider the Equities and ETF trader, including weeklies and LEAPS... !!
    Let's Raise the Bar...Not Lower It..

Andrei likes this.
  10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

I'm not currently at my trading PC, but if I remember correctly, i'm setting TOS to the fastest quote speed or just one level below the fastest. I'm using the 64 bit version and allocating 4 or 6G RAM to TOS.

But i don't think TOS setting is the issue. The problem lies with the number of symbols OV has to load from TOS. In the past, i had exactly the same TOS settings but i experienced the keyboard issue. After setting the symbol limit to 150 and also unchecking the monthlies, weeklies and lowering standard options down to 3 or 4, they issue just went away. Now i can type into the matrix without any delay.

I trade using a powerful desktop though. Occasionally when i travel and need to use my less powerful notebook, i set symbol limit to 80. The downside though is it takes a longer for the greeks to stabilize.

11. Ken Dole

Ken Dole New Member

This problem can usually be resolved by running the 64 bit version of TOS which allows for allocating more RAM to the TOS application. I suggest an allocation 4-6 GB of
    RAM. This setting change can be done by clicking the gear icon in the lower left corner of the TOS logon box. There are min and max memory settings which you can
    set to 512 min and 4096 max memory. Next change the setting for your Optionvue Quotes Reception TOS symbol limit to 125. This window is opened by clicking the green globe
    in the upper right corner of your program.

Those two settings changes will resolve most users trouble with an OptionVue7 keyboard delay. However, if you're still having an issue after making these changes, then
    I suggest limiting the number of symbols your requesting with TOS quotes to around 1000. Your live symbol count is shown in the upper right corner of your program, just to the right of the NV(#) notation (each option or stock counts as 1 symbol). The easiest way to manage your OptionVue7 symbol count is to use the Define\AutoStrike window from your matrix and select a wider strike interval and/or reduce the number of expirations your requesting.

12. Jerry Furst

Jerry Furst Member

Hi Ken - I made the adjustments you suggested and will report back if that fixes it. I had changed some of these settings in the past, but looks like they may have been reset during software updates. I will report back in a few days. Thanks.

13. Ken Dole

Ken Dole New Member

You’re welcome Jerry. Hope that helps. I know it’s an aggravating problem, particularly with the markets moving like they are lately.

14. Challenger

Challenger Member

Ken,
    what are your thoughts on reducing the quote speed in TOS? I am thinking setting mine at maximum delay (15 seconds) assuming there would be fewer updates to send to OV. Do you think this could help? I trade the M3 and I don't think max delay in TOS will impact this type of trades.
    Thanks for your feed back.

15. Ken Dole

Ken Dole New Member

I suggest a TOS quotes speed of 3 second delay unless your noticing problems using that setting. That works well for most clients. Try that setting and let
    me know how it goes.