Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ES futures on IRA account

Discussion in 'Options' started by marat, Oct 30, 2014.

1. marat

marat Well-Known Member

I thought I would share my current broken wing fly that I am running on my IRA account that I opened few months ago. I have chosen to work with ES futures, because initial size of the account is too small to use equities options (due to silly 25K rule of pattern trading) and in general I feel that futures give much better returns on margin.
    upload_2014-10-30_7-59-42.png

2. meyer99

meyer99 Well-Known Member

And here is a 51 DTE BWB on /ES on a regular account. Will try to close trade between 30 to 15 DTE. Comments welcome, specially adjustments if prices fall below 1925. ES 51d BWB.JPG

3. marat

marat Well-Known Member

I got a question offline about futures options margin treatment on my IRA account. I opened mine at IB and as far as I can tell there is no difference compared to the regular account. Currently my initial margin at IB on this trade is $2554.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. marat

marat Well-Known Member

Looks kind of steep to me to the downside. I prefer mine to be flat and "boring" :mad:

5. tman

tman Active Member

Do you have a profit target?

6. marat

marat Well-Known Member

Which trade are you referring too?

7. tman

tman Active Member

Either one.

8. marat

marat Well-Known Member

I'd say between 100-200$ per fly, and not to loose more then twice then that.

9. meyer99

Tman,
    Depends on the market, if it continues to crawl up I will adjust the trade and try to get $1500/2000. If it moves under the tent and stays there for a while I will start taking off pieces, if I am lucky I could net a few shekels. Margin on the trade is now $4000 but it can change fast if prices drop a lot.

10. tman

tman Active Member

Will you take this right to expiration if the market stays up here as it looks like your margin goes to zero?

11. tman

tman Active Member

Looks like your trade is marking nicely. I'm interested in your adjustments it/when you do so.

12. marat

marat Well-Known Member

IB still charges a margin, even though optionvue shows zero. I rarely take things to expiration, so I will likely close it early next week and put something else on.

13. meyer99

Adjustment #1. Margin s/b $5,000. Es BWB adj 1.JPG

14. meyer99

Es BWB adj 2.JPG
    Adjust. #2

15. meyer99

Adj. #3
    Es BWB adj 3.JPG

16. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Your trade is looking great at this point!

17. meyer99

I hope it stays like that! lol
    I was going to just add more put credit spreads but after listening to D. Harvey I got the itch for some Flys. I will try to lift other areas on the chart depending on how the price moves. What do you think Tom?

18. tom

I like the idea of adding flies. You might want to consolidate a few of the strikes so it's easier to manage. Just a suggestion. I learned that from Tony Sizemore and I find it helps me.

19. meyer99

Closed trade today. The Fed took me from under the big tent but did not make it to the smaller tent. Can't complain was a nice trade. Margin is wrong, started at $5000 and went up to $10000 after all the adjustments.

Es BWB close 4.JPG

20. tom

Nice looking trade. Good job!