Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissecting Trade with Optionvue R Values

Discussion in 'OptionVue Forum' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

The latest version has fixed the P&L issue when dissecting a position with the R values. In the past, when closed options were included, the P&L will be completely out of whacked. Now, the issue is fixed. We can now use this great feature to dissect our more complex positions into its parts and track them individually. The only remaining issue is in some situations, some R values will not be available in the selection box. I have reported to OV. They'll be fixing it.

For those who are not familiar with this feature. Let me demonstrate below.

I have a M3 position below consist of 3 groups of butterflies and some DITM Calls. I assigned values of 1, 2 and 3 to the butterflies and the letter "A" and "B" to the DITM calls. Once I've done that, I can now select "1" "2" or "3" to show the butterflies individually or "1" + "A" to show a butterfly hedged with a DITM Call. As the trade progresses, you can easily assign more numbers or re-assign completely to dissect the position in anyway you want.

I find this to be a fantastic way to not only track our live position, but even more useful during back testing to perform "what-if" analysis to experiment different ways to trade or adjust the position.

Hope this helps.

upload_2016-1-30_2-48-4.png

upload_2016-1-30_2-48-21.png
    upload_2016-1-30_2-54-42.png

upload_2016-1-30_2-52-18.png

Attached Files:

mje, Gail, TheSpeculator152 and 8 others like this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot Kevin, I never realised you could do this. I´ve had different components of 1 trade as separate accounts then 1 combo of all positions, works but takes a lot of T-log filling and back & fore. This will save me a lot of effort.

I´ve also had issues with closed options messing up the P&L, even with the "G/L to include previous realised G/L", the issue has normally been related to the ´R´values not being consistent (e.g., often positions had blank values in the ´R´column and were´t included in P/L).

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

Hi David

I published a video in the past about how the R column can be used. You might find it useful

mje and DavidF like this.
  4. Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Member

Kevin, thanks for creating the video. Very useful!

5. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

Every wonder why it's called the R column? Because it was originally intended to be the Reconciliation field, exactly like the field in your checkbook log. (Remember checkbooks?) o_O People used to receive their bank statement each month and use it to check-mark all the checks in their own handwritten log that have cleared. So in OptionVue's T.Log, this field could be changed from a blank to anything else to indicate (for your own benefit) that you have had time to double check each transaction entry to make sure it is correct and that the commissions and fees have been confirmed.

Some time later we also made it so this field could be used to group trades into a single position and to separate each position from other positions which may overlap with it in lifetime.

Kevin Lee and Joe A like this.