Daily Options

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elli, May 16, 2017.

1. Elli

Elli Active Member

The new daily and AM, PM options seem to be causing havoc with the labels at IB. For example, both June 15 and June 16 are called monthly. Can someone explain how to make sense of this and keep it straight?

2. stevegee58

stevegee58 Well-Known Member

You're right it's confusing. The "trading class" selection in the Option Trader screen is what sorts them out. The true monthly shows an underlying of SPX where the other monthly has an underlying of SPXW. If you have both selected under "trading class" then you'll see both SPX and SPXW.

3. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

Always make sure you double check open interest.....regardless of the label chaos. Regular monthlies now have very low interest.

Elli likes this.
  4. AKJ

AKJ Well-Known Member

This is not correct. You are most likely looking at the OI for SPXW (PM settled) options that expire the same day as opposed to the SPX (regular monthly AM settled).

In IB, I have noticed that the Date attached to the SPX regular monthly options is the Thursday before the Friday AM settlement. For June 2016, the SPX regular AM option is assigned the date Jun15'17, while the SPXW PM settled option is Jun16'17

Elli likes this.
  5. Elli

Elli Active Member

Is IB using a unique label for the AM settlement? ONE shows no June 15 expiration. I don't think Options House or Fidelity do either. When I looked at open interest the IB June 15 has more than the June 16. And the July 20 has more than the July 21st.