Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contribution shyness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GreenZone, Aug 12, 2015.

1. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

(time for a soapbox statement)

I've been a part of many trading groups and communities in the past, and one of the main things which I feel holds almost every group back is that most traders within that community have a type of "contribution shyness", where they feel that they will only contribute once they become experts, in order to know that the information will be "correct".
    This tends to hold back 97% of the people from contributing, and then the 3% of the people who do contribute then get tired of being the only ones who are contributing......so they eventually stop contributing.
    If you've been part of trading groups before, I'm assuming that you can relate to this.

In order to make much more progress, we need to change this, and we need to work together.
    But most importantly, we have to overcome this "contribution shyness".
    If you've come across something interesting, then share it.
    If you're confused about something, ask a question.
    If you feel that you can help someone out who's asking a question, then do so without worrying that you're not some trading guru (yet).
    A root cause of "contribution shyness" is fear of failure - or in this case fear of being wrong.
    I realize that this can be a tough thing to try to deal with, but the rewards for doing so are potentially huge.
    You've likely heard the expression that "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts". This is exactly the kind of thing we can all build together, right here in this trading community.

And here's an example of what I'm talking about (you'll need to be a paid member to access this):
    http://forums.capitaldiscussions.com/threads/april-m3-rut.141/
    First a trader asked a question about possible ways of trading the M3 but in small accounts, then resources were shared, 3 or so viable trade alternatives were shown, trades were contrasted in basic form, then a very detailed comparison was shown, and we've now also learnt a method of analyzing hedges and trades in general. And who knows what will come next from this....
    None of this can happen if people are scared of asking questions, or scared of offering possible answers (even if you're not a trading guru).
    Please have a think about this, and if you would like to be a part of building a new thriving trading community where everyone helps each other to grow as traders, then please decide to jump in and start contributing, no matter what your trading level might be.

(ok, I'm off my soapbox now)

Andrei, Jay Winger and Bruno like this.
  2. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Good point Ron. 80% of the trading group participants never say a word, which is everyone's loss. If you are interested enough in a trading group, it's likely you have questions or comments that the whole group can participate with. I've found that the more I give, the more I get back.

One idea is if you participate in a trading group during the live meeting, add ONE THING to the group each meeting, whether it's in the chat, using your voice or sharing your desktop.

Comments, questions, observations and hot seats where you share your current, closed or proposed trades and/or trade adjustments etc are all welcome and encouraged!

GreenZone likes this.
  3. Dave A

Dave A Active Member

Hi Ron,

I just wanted to say that you are exactly right and Thank You for bringing it up.

It is can be VERY HARD and very intimidating for less experienced traders to ask questions of advanced traders. I know because I have struggled with this very issue. I have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals, but sometimes I feel that I have not "earned the right" to ask questions of the more advanced traders because I have little to offer/contribute in return.

I am very grateful to all the people in this and other forums who have been very generous with their time and knowledge and have helped me a great deal.

Thanks Again for All The Help !!

Dave A.

Al G. likes this.
  4. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

Funny how I never get tired of hearing that.
    If only my wife would agree, then I'd be set. ;)

Seriously though, please do ask questions......but more importantly, also feel free to contribute anything you feel might be useful to others.
    It could be:
    • an interesting bit of trading news you've heard of
    • a new trading tactic (or trading guru) you've come across
    • a new indicator which seems useful
    • a spreadsheet you may have created
    • a simple trade plan you've been experimenting with
    • a tip on using some productivity or trading tool more effectively
    • a summary of a trading video or class you may have watched
    • etc, etc
    So don't feel that you need to be some sort of trading expert in order to be able to share stuff with others.