Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CONTINUING OPTIONVUE PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Options' started by Rod M, May 22, 2015.

1. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

Mama always said, "If You Dont Have Anything Good To Say, Then Dont Say Anything At All"
    This being said, OVue is a great program WHEN IT WORKS !!
    However this daily grind of "Cannot Connect With Netvue" messages ever morning is getting old. Were we not promised greater service and fewer problems as justification for raising the prices for OV several months back.

So far it is looking like higher prices with lower service.

Just wanted to vent.

2. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

Hey Rod, I received an error last night when I was reviewing my positions. I don't normally get that error; it seems they were updating systems at the time. It is working well this morning. I do get data and P/L issues from time to time.

3. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

I spoke with Tech Support about 10 AM CST this morning. It seems they have their data problems fixed with the new provider, but now they are having internal server issues that they are working on. Evidently, when you get the error message "Can Not Connect With Netvue", that signifies a problem with their internal servers, not the price data. After deleting my asset files a couple of times per their suggestion, things came back to normal.

4. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

I had the same mess this morning Rod, but on any day... for me closing and restarting OV a few times a day is business as usual.
    I am just waiting for the day when a competitor finally steps up and offers an alternative. OV's current business model is let's collect revenue until that day and then close up shop....what else can it be seriously? If they close up sooner, we are screwed (at least for M3).

5. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

Gabor, I agree. I cut my teeth on option trading using TOS...basically because it was "free." However, for managing a serious M3 type position, I would never go back to it. Also, I dont know any serious, experienced traders who are managing large positions that use anything other than OV. Therefore Len has a monopoly on the software. On the position side, I will say that both my sales rep and tech support go out of their way to fix any problem I may be having and no one seems to try to cover anything up...so although I may get frustrated with the product, I am never frustrated by the support.
    Also, it sounds like you may be using a 3rd party data feed like TOS if you are having to reboot the OV app thru the day. I keep my open all day and under normal conditions, never have to reboot it (I am using OV's live data feed).

6. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

Agree Rod, Tech support and especially Ken is absolutely superb.
    Yes, that's correct I am using TOS for live feed mostly, but same issue with IB feed.

7. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

I dont think you will ever see error-free data flow with OV when using 3rd party providers...ie TOS or IB. I've bit the bullet and pay them for their own data flow. Since they switched to their new data provider, I have noticed the program is beginning to be more reliable. One thing I have noticed is that now I start getting RUT quotes in OV as soon as the market opens, and before it was sometimes 10 or 15 minutes after market opened before OV came alive with their own data feed.
    Hopefully the "Cannont Connect With Netvue" problems are short-lived. According to tech support this message signifies internal problems at OV, and not the data feed.

Overall, I am optimistic about OV.

8. Rod M

Rod M Well-Known Member

Another day.....another outage. I am beginning to think that paying for OV and expecting it to work is like paying your taxes and expecting something in return.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Well-Known Member

Why not change to 3rd party data ? I'm connected to TOS data and never had a problem so far (finger crossed :))