Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the U.S. Dollar Crash the Stock Market?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard Hale Shaw, May 13, 2015.

1. Tom,
    A member of a forum I administer recently posted this:
    http://capitaldiscussions.com/can-the-u-s-dollar-crash-the-stock-market/102278
    We've never met, so I don't know you personally. But from the way this group is run and from the meetings, I'm assuming you're far more knowledgeable and intelligent than I, and that if you have a particular point of view, you'd differentiate between assertions and facts.

I don't see that happening in this piece.

It sounds to me like someone who's Delta is (at the time, at least was) very short, and can't wait for a major market move down. If you'd like for me to post my objections to the piece, I can. But I thought that maybe you'd want to post the research that fills the holes in the story, first.

Or maybe I'm completely misreading it?
    Regards,
    Richard

2. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

Hi Richard,
    I know your name I think from Sheridan Mentoring. Did you ever take a class there? Your name is very familiar to me. It's nice to "meet" you Richard. It looks like you're a bass player. I've played viola for years and have been playing violin primarily for the last 18+ months. It's more fun with more music!. My wife's flute teacher's husband is a professional bass player and tours around with various orchestras in Europe.

As far as that article goes, I didn't write that piece. It originally appeared at zerohedge.com. I thought it was an interesting idea that the the USD could affect the stock market. I'm not convinced the link is as tight as the author of that article suggested. It was posted more as food for thought. In fact, the USD has weakened of late yet the US stock market doesn't seem to be affected by the movement in the USD.

I suspect you're right that the author was hoping for a large move down in U.S. equities.

Time will tell if Phoenix Capital Research is right that there will be a real crisis later this year. Timing of things like that are extremely difficult to predict.

3. Tom, then I stand corrected (and relieved), as I couldn't put together the piece with what little I know of you.
    Yes, the idea was interesting but it lacked facts: what assets were being bought and how would those drive up equities? And I agree about the timing: it sounded like wishful thinking to me.

I play bass in a jazz group in DC and in Boston. Not a player of classical music, but a listener.

Anyway, thanks for the response. The piece has tons of assertions with no evidence.
    Regards,
    Richard