Beginner and Small Account Trading Group - February 15, 2018

Discussion in 'Beginner Traders' started by status1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

I have a question for Tim or anyone who can answer it
    I was watching the presentation and at one point there was 2 different expirations on at the same time and Tim changed the setting to show the 2 expirations separately but on the same graph by using the +2 @ expiration setting
    I tried that but it doesn't do anything on my graph and I was wondering why that is ?
    Is there another setting that I am missing ?
    Also when I add the put the graph turns up as the put overpowers the weaker put spread while in the video it shows it curving down even before the setting was made
    So I am not sure how Tim was able to put 2 expirations separately on the same graph but it's not working for me

2. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

Hi, lets see I think there are two questions here...

Regarding the put overpowering the put spread, I think it is a matter of size. A 1-lot main trade will be greatly overpowered by a 1 lot long put, but might not overpower a 10-lot main trade.

Regarding the expiration graphs, one possible cause would be if the simulation date in the date box near the lower right of the screen was set to a future date after expiration of one of the two series. If it is, try setting it to "today" then using two expiration settings. Same with the date at the top right of the screen - be sure it is equal to or later than the furthest expiration date.

Let me know if this explains it. If not maybe you could attach a snapshot.

3. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

Hi Tim
    I got it to work
    Looks like the expiration graph is working but I guess I did not see any difference before because the graph is so faint I can hardly see it It's kind of a faint dark red color against a black background

The other issue is also resolved after looking closer at the video you have the vertical axis zoomed in a lot more than I usually do so while it looks like the long put is going down it actually moves up after the 2400 strike but that is off the screen so that is normal

P.S I was playing with the settings while I am writing and I got it to look like yours I changed the settings in the look and feel from the TOS old school to the Dark theme and now I have the same colors as in the video and now the second line is clearly visible
    Thanks for your help

4. Derek C

Derek C New Member

Hi -
    I'm a new member and had a couple of questions after having started to watch a few of the round table videos with Jim Riggio on Trade Design and another with Tom on the Rev Harvey.
    1 - how do you judge whether IV is Low with higher than average put skew vs. high IV and Low skew? I saw reference to this in Jim's presentation and would be interested in any other videos he's done. What is the criteria used on judging whether IV is high or low for a given market along with steepness / flatness of skew -- say on the S&P or ES?
    2 - For disasters like in your reverse Harvey presentation, has setting a contingent order to simply short underlying or limit order with OCO bracket or a put spread on the left wing tent of a Put BWB (say 2 std dev out) worked well?
    Thanks,
    Derek