Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Systems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim Clements, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Jim Clements

Jim Clements Active Member

Similar to the posting "Emergency Plans and Precautions", what backup systems are you using in case you lose your Internet connection to your broker, or your computer crashes, or your electrical power goes out, possibly for an extended period? How would you continue to trade?

I have a backup UPS, which will provide power for about 2 hours, both a desktop and laptop computer, and "Internet on the Go", a mobile wi-fi hotspot. A fall-back recovery plan is to take my laptop to a nearby library or other location with wifi, and use vpn software (Private Internet Access) on my computer to encrypt my connection and protect my privacy.

What other backup/emergency recovery systems/approaches are you using? Thanks for your ideas/suggestions.

Jim

2. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I have four computers at home, an Amazon Workspace (virtual desktop) plus several remote servers I could use. Internet backup would be iPhone tethering or perhaps I could ask my neighbor to get on his wifi. I can also trade on with the iphone but that would be an emergency situation to close positions I think only if I was traveling. One of the computers in our home is a macbook pro so batteries would last for a while if it was charged (normally is) and I suppose the iPad could be put into service if needed. If the internet was out for an extended period, I would look for alternatives that are mobile based. I already have a business internet line so the response time is 24-hours or less. If it was going to be an extended down time, I'd likely close any open positions until I was ready to trade again normally. Of course you could use the phone to call the broker to close your positions so you don't need an internet connection for that. Just their phone number (which I recommend adding to your address book).

3. ooo|ooo

ooo|ooo Active Member

I have an iPhone and an iPad, each of which uses a different SIM card from a different service provider. They can be tethered to the iMac and the MacBook I'm using.

There's also the iOS version of the TWS, which cannot put together complex option spreads, though, but it can trade them once the order has been set up on the desktop version. For every position, I have multiple spread orders prepared that I can modify and execute on the iOS TWS.

4. Tim

Tim Well-Known Member

I have I believe multiple redundant backup systems.

1. Four separate trading computers, one is a surface pro 3 (see below). If one fails the others hopefully wont.
    2. UPS power supplies good for about 2 hours, on the computers AND the router
    3. A portable generator
    4. If everything fails at home, I have the surface pro 3 and will go mobile, usually to a Starbuck's. When mobile, I use privateinternetaccess.com vpn for extra security. I know where every nearest starbuck's is.
    5. TOS iPhone application
    6. A trading buddy who lives about 10 miles away. I can go there and camp out.

Chuck likes this.
  5. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I have two Dell computers. One is on a battery back-up with enough power to give me 45 min to close all applications and put any close any positions if something is really going haywire with the markets. Generally I trade only once a day at around 2:20-3:00 so it is very unlikely that I would need to close all my trades. I have a fully functional and powerful (i5 Intel processor) 2-in-1 laptop from HP. It has about 95% of what I have on my desk, just no second monitor. It has about 4 hrs of battery power and I can take it anywhere. I also have mid-size back-up generator in case of some real emergency (we live in rural area). Also have two internet providers, one of them is a portable ATT hotspot device.

When Sandy hit our area, we were without power for over 3 days, if it happens again it would be a bit inconvenient but manageable. On the other hand is there is a risk of even a longer outage, I would close all positions using my laptop and the Hotspot.