Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody using OptionVue portfolio functionality?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Andrei, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I am new to OV. I am planning to use it mostly for analysis of M3, BB, and similar trades. However, there seems to be a lot of functionality for portfolio management and analysis. I have watch some of their videos and it looks good. But when I tried I ran into a lot of problems. There seems to be no clean way to keep trades separated in an account. I tried to use R field, it did not work too well. I also noticed that some people just create a new account for every trades, (i.e. Jan M3, Feb Me, etc.)Seems very inefficient.
    I liked ONE's approach when every trade in an account had unique ID.
    Is anyone using this functionality? Is there a good way to keep track of trades without creating numerous accounts?

2. Gabor Maly

Gabor Maly Well-Known Member

Hi Andrei
    Yes ONE's approach is very nice and wish OV would adopt something similar.
    I looked at the various ways but I found that creating a new account for every trade (may call it inefficient but really takes 2 seconds) and then linking it to a mother account is the best approach in OV in case you want to easily go back and review a trade.

3. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

Thank you GarborMaly. It is a pity that OV is not very responsive to obvious improvements to the system. I have talked to James at OV giving him my feedback and it is clear that he had heard similar suggestions from many users. I hope that with new higher pricing they will allocate some resources to improve their interface and trade management.

4. tom

tom Administrator Staff Member

I sent a suggestion to Len Yates at OptionVue about this. Hopefully we'll see it in OV in the near future.

5. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

There is a good, clean way to manage separate trades in OptionVue. In the Recon Code field of the T.Log, enter a single character 'A' - 'Z' to designate a trade as "Position A", "Position B", and so on. Having done that, a special little drop-down appears in the top area of the Matrix that allows you to select position A, B, etc. or ALL positions. The Matrix will only display the position you have selected, or all positions if you have selected ALL. It looks like this:
    upload_2015-2-9_14-28-22.png
    Our customers enjoy this feature quite a bit, and I've even used it a lot lately myself.
    Recon codes never combine positions across assets, so if you have a position 'A' in one asset and a position 'A' in another asset, they are treated separately. In addition, a position that has been closed out will not combine with a currently open position. So if you had a position 'A' in a particular stock in the past, you can open a new position in that stock and call it position 'A', and OptionVue will disregard the older position 'A' when looking at currently open positions. For those reasons, 'A' - 'Z' should be more than ample because you would have to have more than 26 separates positions open at the same time in one particular asset. Hope this helped.
    By the way, OptionVue is always open to suggestions, so please contact us with you wishes. In the past year I'd say we have probably implemented more than 100 great customer suggestions. We still have a backlog at this time and I'm doing my best to implement them.

6. meyer99

meyer99 Well-Known Member

Len,
    Is an analyze graph of a portfolio of positions (different products) possible in the future? Not like the Hedge Finder but a chart with the T+0 line and expiration line.

7. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

To my knowledge, this is the first time that has been requested. There would still need to be broad lines representing the uncertainty of asset correlation, like the broad lines you see in HedgeFinder. But I don't see why this couldn't be done. I'll make note of it.

8. Gabor Maly

Len, we really appreciate that you are on this forum and thank you for the above suggestion, that is certainly a great way to separate open trades and as long as you are only interested in your open trades I think it is more than sufficient. But as soon as you want to find and go through your past "2014 January Week 4 wierdor trade" that you have logged in your 2014 Main Live trade account along with dozen other trades than to my finding it is becoming difficult. Again the point here is that I should be able to bring this trade up and walk through it step by step. This is where Andrei referred to a approach ONE is taking, where they simply link each trade to a trade number, and this way you can just simply create one master account, log each trade in this account and retrieve them easily.
    We may as well be unaware of some other functionality in OV, if that is the case please let us know.
    Best

9. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

Do a lot of people like to be able to go back in time, bring up a trade and walk through it step by step? Not meaning to imply anything, but personally I find that hard to identify with. Because after I complete a trade, I consolidate what I learned from it by taking notes (in a doc file or on paper). Then I never feel the need to go back and walk through the trade. Nevertheless, it seem to me that this should be doable using OptionVue's current system with 'A' - 'Z' in the Recon code field. The only problem, perhaps, is how to quickly identify the particular trade you're interested in since it hasn't been given a (long) descriptive name. Well, why not put your descriptive name in the Notes field of the T.Log? Then you can find the trade of interest by opening the T.Log, going back to the approximate date when the trade was opened, and visually scan for the one you're interested in. Then make note of the Recon code that you gave that trade at the time.

10. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

I did this just today. But I also separate each trade in its own account. But this approach does not scale, in a few years it will be way too much accounts.

I liked one feature of ONE. When you make a transaction it stores the IV of the option in the trade log. Maybe as additional column in the T.Log in OptionVue?

11. Gabor Maly

This you can actually do in OV. Go to File > Preferences and select "When converting a trade, automatically enter current IV as a note in T Log".

uwe likes this.
  12. Len Yates

Len Yates Active Member

You can have OptionVue automatically store a note about the current IV in the T.Log's Notes field. Just go into File | Preferences, under the Settings tab, and about 2/3 of the way down the page is a checkbox for this.

uwe likes this.
  13. uwe

uwe Well-Known Member

Thanks, Gabor and Len. I have this checked on now. :)

14. RayM

RayM Well-Known Member

>>> Do a lot of people like to be able to go back in time, bring up a trade and walk through it step by step?
    *** Len Yates ***
    Yes, I often do this as a postmortem on the trade and data mine the campaign.
    In fact, if I might request, I like the idea implemented in ONE were there is a "Play" button where one can watch the campaign play out.

15. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

Len, thank you for your response regarding the Recon field. However, after looking at the system again, it does not solve the problem of managing and analyzing portfolio by trades. This ability may not be very important for somebody who puts numerous simple trades (i.e diversified CC call portfolio), since each trade is just a small part of a much lager picture. But traders like myself (and I think many others in this community) who trades large complex index-based trades with many adjustments (M3, Bearish Butterflies, etc.), the ability to go back to old trades and walk through them trade by trade to view summary results by trade over an extended period of time is very important.

16. Rick

Rick Active Member

uwe: I use ONE and don't see that it has this capability to record IV as an automatic feature. You make a manual entry as a note which is saved in the Note column, however.