Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 kites...

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Marcas, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

2. onyxperidot

onyxperidot Well-Known Member

I happen to like both. When I was a boy, the only toys I had were a Yoyo and two paper kites which I built myself. In my early twenties, I fell in love with Puccini's La Boheme sung by Maria Callas. To the horror of my family, I now sing opera in my kitchen and in my shower -- except for my grand kids. They laugh.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. onyxperidot

By the way, The Flower Duet (Lakme) really goes well with the kites, beautiful combination. Many years ago, British Airways made a commercial based on the same duet. Come to think of it, butterflies would go very well with the flower duet too.

4. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

My first one was (nomen omen) 'Madame Butterfly". It was long, long ago and I was surprising myself a lot... : )
    : D I do the same, just on quiet side and it is mostly Bach. I noticed that my wife comes closer in such event - I guess she tries to figure out what I'm trying to imitate.
    Kites are definitely in my plans. I tried to fly one from store - kids were disappointed...

5. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

And, yes, The Flower Duet was the only reason I bought some CD few years ago - I liked interpretation so much. But I cant listen to it for long, opposite to Bach.

6. onyxperidot

FYI, I just looked up the French lyrics of The Flower Duet and its English translation.
    French Lyrics of the Flower Duet

Sous le dôme épais
    Où le blanc jasmin
    À la rose s’assemble
    Sur la rive en fleurs,
    Riant au matin
    Viens, descendons ensemble.
    Doucement glissons de son flot charmant
    Suivons le courant fuyant
    Dans l’onde frémissante
    D’une main nonchalante
    Viens, gagnons le bord,
    Où la source dort et
    L’oiseau, l’oiseau chante.
    Sous le dôme épais
    Où le blanc jasmin,
    Ah! descendons
    Ensemble!
    Sous le dôme épais
    Où le blanc jasmin
    À la rose s’assemble
    Sur la rive en fleurs,
    Riant au matin
    Viens, descendons ensemble.
    Doucement glissons de son flot charmant
    Suivons le courant fuyant
    Dans l’onde frémissante
    D’une main nonchalante
    Viens, gagnons le bord,
    Où la source dort et
    L’oiseau, l’oiseau chante.
    Sous le dôme épais
    Où le blanc jasmin,
    Ah! descendons
    Ensemble!
    English Translation of the Flower Duet

Under the thick dome where the white jasmine
    With the roses entwined together
    On the river bank covered with flowers laughing in the morning
    Let us descend together!
    Gently floating on its charming risings,
    On the river’s current
    On the shining waves,
    One hand reaches,
    Reaches for the bank,
    Where the spring sleeps,
    And the bird, the bird sings.
    Ah! calling us
    Together!
    Under the thick dome where white jasmine
    With the roses entwined together
    On the river bank covered with flowers laughing in the morning
    Let us descend together!
    Gently floating on its charming risings,
    On the river’s current
    On the shining waves,
    One hand reaches,
    Reaches for the bank,
    Where the spring sleeps,
    And the bird, the bird sings.
    Ah! calling us
    Together!

7. onyxperidot

Aha! Great ears listen alike.
    And if you might like something more Latin and contemporary, I would recommend Heitor Villa-Lobos.

8. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will check him out. In this subject - i'm now in rediscovery mode: Gregorio Allegri is on spot. I'm amazed how much of him I've missed.

And back to video. (I agree that picture and sound much very well.) It is always a pleasure to watch mastery .
    Some call it art,I sometimes do to, but it is no art. It just Meisterstück.

9. onyxperidot

Here is something a bit less philosophical and more pop-cultural, nonetheless, enjoyable.

10. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

I correct myself. Connection between audio and video is better then 'very well' it is close to 'perfect'.
    And in this case 'art' is not out of place at all.
    Beside: these kites are alive.

11. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

my pleasure. : D
    Do you know any singing class on line.. sign me in!

PS.Mr Shakespeare is wrong.

12. onyxperidot

Frankly speaking, I lack talent in singing although I play the piano and guitar slightly better -- still without talent. I am learning the boogie woogie style at present.
    Anyways, check out his home page at https://sellfy.com/julienneel. He offers singing lessons.

13. onyxperidot

Villa Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras 5 - Aria

A Chinese love song

Another one

Some string:

14. onyxperidot

The Butterfly Lovers

Jasmine Flower:

15. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

I listened to Villa Lobos and I would say that contemporary, still, is not in my line. I don't say it's bad, it just required so much work from me... I think I just don't get it. Oriental... quite nice. But I wonder what was the purpose to engage such big apparatus for Jasmine Flower. Is it an official hymn of China? I listen for pleasure. I like Barbershop Quartet.

I will think about it (joke - it would be preposterous : ) Competition is huge though: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NENlXsW4pM

How are you doing on market this days? What you are trading?

16. onyxperidot

When it comes to food, I am a pig. My musical taste is only a minor variant.

Yes, the Jasmine Flower show was an extravaganza for the woman singer. She was the mistress of Jiang Zemin, the ex-president of China. Of course, the expended millions of dollars were public funds.

I mostly trade butterflies in medium, low volatility environments in my taxable accounts. When implied volatility is higher, I sell some credit put spreads. I avoid selling call spreads altogether. In my registered tax deferred accounts, I can only trade covered calls protected by DITM long DTE puts. They don't yield much. albeit their risks are quite low correspondingly. I also trade statically hedged positions which are high Vega risk trades. If you are interested, check out my account profile. There is a link to a research paper about statically hedged positions.

17. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

Not an object to judgment but. I wont agree. Butterfly Lovers (nomen omen : ) I like. And Endless Love too, it is playing right now, very nice and relaxing. Just I can work with this music. There are other pieces though where I have to / must stop any activity or turn music off. I believe it is mostly personal.

I skimmed through this research paper. I think I'm missing something. Can you give an example of this statistical hedge? It seems like markets are dropping now, will this hedge kick in now or we need bigger drop?

18. status1

status1 Well-Known Member

I am not much on opera but I liked that kite video and that particular opera wasn't too bad either
    I like the classical music but I don't care too much about the singing voice
    The guy is very talented with a lot of records . He is definitely the best in the business
    I am amazed how he flies 3 kites at once so close without getting them tangled
    Here is another one with a different song in the background

19. Marcas

Marcas Well-Known Member

He is amazing, isn't he?!
    Whoever put these videos together did excellent job as well (yours is better quality than mine).
    It is nice to see other beautiful things from time to time
    beside t+0 line ; )